Séamus Ennis’s field diary

Re: Séamus Ennis’s field diary

Fantastic. What a read this promises to be. Parents take heed, buy this for your children, it’s quite possibly better value than the latest computer game at the same price.

Thanks for the link! I’m writing to Santa Claus now.

Thanks for the link, Floss!

Posted .

Thank you, Floss. Love the bit: "I’m tired of teaching you people tunes." Or: "It was a way of life that had much to commend it - especially if you didn’t have to live it." Looks to be 44 English Pounds a copy?

£34 on amazon

Priceless… Something else to add to my Christmas list too…

bloody awesome thanks heaps floss the tethers, that along with the campbells cd are just what i want for xmas! 🙂

Posted .

Sounds like a fantastic book!

It’s on play.com for €44.49 including postage.

Does anyone know if this is bi-lingual, or if there is also an Irish language version out?

No, this is not a ‘rehashed’ version of ‘Mise an Fear Ceoil’. It’s a translation of that book with some added material (including more photographs and larger versions of some of the existing photos).

I’ve read the Irish version and it’s fantastic. The editor, Ríonach Uí Ógáin has done a wonderful job in bringing it alive for us. Ennis was responsible for preserving much of the music we know today.

Buy it for yourself or for someone who appreciates Irish music and culture.

Thanks for the clarification… And as to your last suggestion, that’s my hope, but to be the recipient of someone else’s generous spirit, fingers crossed…

Yeah, thanks for the clarification, amhrán.

Posted by .

Thanks for the review, Floss. Just ordered my copy, had been on the lookout for this for a long time.

"Boxing Day, Nineteen-o-something, Ballynowhere.

‘Bagged a brace of fat little jigs with left and right barrels as they rose out of a thicket. In the afternoon, heard that a mature female singer had gone to ground in the next township. We all went along and had great sport digging her out with dogs…"

To me, "field diary" has always suggested some kind of hunting / shooting / fishing log…

If you are working on Irish, the (mostly) Irish version, Mise an Fear Ceoi is not difficult. You’ll certainly learn all the words for bad weather!