Name of a tune : any help ?

Name of a tune : any help ?

Can anyone help me with the name of the tune played at the very beginning of this instrumental please ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOTdu8m8YOY

I’m dying to play it !! It reminds me of something but I just can’t figure out the name…

Re: Name of a tune : any help ?

I seems to me that the tune is called( Haste to the Wedding)
or am I not getting the right jist of the question

Ah yes, they play haste to the wedding after, but the very first part of it is just not HTTW ! They play something else before ! That’s the very first part of it I wonder the name of…did you listen to it ?

I think it is Rakes of Kildare, although not quite the version I know.

Not the Rakes of Kildare anyway, but I don’t think you will over stretch your brain learning it whatever it is. Why not call it the ‘Jump up and down jig’, as that seems to be the effect it has on the Corrs.

Oh no, it’s a hornpipe and it’s called "Drunk as a Box of Frogs"

Posted by .

Can I hear "The Litling Banshee" (or whatever you care to call it) in there? I’ve heard travellers playing jigs which seem to perm any part of Rakes of Kildare, Tenpenny Bit, Paddy in London, Litling Banshee etc.. Perhaps this version has a similar source.

yeh, in other words its a made-up pile of poo

Posted by .

Are you (Claire) suggesting that traveller music is a pile of poo?

I’m suggesting that the Corrs know as much about traveller’s music as an arse hair knows about the pathogenicity of E.coli bug in sh it. Sorry to confuse the Corrs issue with travellers playing.

Posted by .

maybe "mist covered mountain?"

Sorry, It’s not "Mist-Covered Mountain," "Ten Penny Bit" or "Lilting Banshee" for sure. I have a recording which has the tune on it, and I’ll try to transcribe it, hopefully in a few days. I personally believe it’s a version of "Rakes of Kildare," but it’s a very different version and almost a different tune you could say. The version of "Rakes of Kildare" James Kelly and Paddy O’Brien recorded has the identical first part but has the second part different.

That’s the tune played as "Mick’s Fancy" on East Galway flute player Sean Moloney’s album "Potsticks." He informs the tune’s from Mick Clancy, a multi-instrumental musician from Co. Leitrim. I doubt many people have heard of the recording "Potsticks," but please trust me. An almost the same version of the jig in question is on it!

Oops.

Slainte, I think you might be right ! I didn’t realized how close both versions were. I already know Rakes of kildare, and this is true, the very beginning is a bit similar, but not the second part…
I’ll try to find it by ear if not possible to have the music sheet. I love this tune ! ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks you all for your help, anyway !

It was actually Adam b who pointed out it’s a version of Rakes of Kildare, not me. Anyway, it’s almost a different tune, so I’ll try posting Sean Moloney’s version in the tunes section.

By the way, you can listen to James Kelly and Paddy O’Brien’s version on this page: http://www.amazon.com/Traditional-Music-Ireland-Paddy-OBrien/dp/B000000DVB/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1260734222&sr=8-2

The Rakes of Kidare is on track 5. You’ll see the first half of their version is very similar to that of the tune the Corrs play.

Thank you so much for your help Slainte, I appreciate it a lot ! I think I’m gonna buy this record also :D
This is true, this version, the beginning is very similar. Time to make my ear work ! It’s gonna be interesting trying to figure out how to play it myself !

The very beginning of it sounds like "Kid on the Mountain" to me.

Sorry, it’s actually called Mick’s "Delight" on the recording I mentioned. Check Sean Moloney’s version here: https://thesession.org/tunes/10110

I have been thinking about transcribing this tune for a while, so thanks Amilda for reminding me.

Apparently, someone suggested that this tune could also be an instrumental called "rocky road to dublin"…I know the song but never heard of an instru of that name like this one played by the corrs…I’m very sceptic…again, any suggestion about this idea, cos’ I really think they are mistaken…