Sharp Whistle

Sharp Whistle

I tried playing my whistle (Sindt in D) next to an electric tuner. It seems like I’m about 20 cents (is that the right terminology) sharp on every note, except A, which is somewhat close, unless I play very softly.

Is this typical? Is there a way to tune this thing? is 440 Hz the standard tuning?

Thanks in advance for helping with my ignorance here. I know I’ve read about whistles being typically sharp but I’m not sure whether it’s operator error or comes with the territory.

Re: Sharp Whistle

Maybe a silly question, but is it tunable?

i don’t think so…the head piece seems fixed as far as I can tell.

I used to tune my generation whistle by melting the headpiece off and sliding it but i’m not sure i should do that here.

If it’s a Sindt it’s tunable. The brass fipple should twist and pull out. You’ll typically find a line that has been etched into the body that indicates normal tuning, but this depends on your blow. If it’s stuck, you may have to twist pretty hard to get it off, but it will release.

You could contact John Sindt via email, and he may have more information concerning tuning or stuck fipples.

Be careful with tuners, as some offer a choice of tunings, from the well tempered to just intonation and other options… Check and see what you have yours set at, if there are such options.

But as Toppish suggests, always check with the maker, they will usually gladly help to set you straight…

"melting the headpiece off" ~ yes, I’ve seen the results, and all what comes immediately to my mind is the paintings of Dali…
😛

I don’t know anything about whistles… but I do know that electronic tuners vary in their accuracy. Also some instruments e.g. harmonicas are tuned deliberately sharp - apparently this can sound better with other instruments and/or make chords sound better.