Gerry O Connor Tuning

Gerry O Connor Tuning

Do any of ye know what tuning Gerry O Connor normally has his banjo in??

Re: Gerry O Connor Tuning

CGDA got that off youtube there

CGDA the "proper" tenor banjo tuning

Actually, I think it is DGDA. He tunes the C string up to D on most tunes.

On the CD "Rattling Banjos" on which 25 tunes are played by O’Connor and 25 tunes played by David McNevin there are two tunings that are listed as being used. One is GDAE, presumably by McNevin, and the other tuning is CGDA by O’Connor. However that CD was recorded around 1986.Certainly on this video from around 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tf7A13_Ex8

he is using G(3) / D(2) / A(1) but it would appear he is hitting low F# on the fourth fret of the 4th string which supports what Greenwiggle has written. You can see it at approxiamately the 3:00 minute mark of the video.

google Mr O,Connor’s website - tunings are on there, along with string gauges, if I recollect right. I think he has a couple of banjos and uses CGDA and DGDA, also GDAE. but videos I have seen show him playing tunes in fiddle keys in a CGDA tuning (or maybe DGDA)

Every session I’ve had with Gerry he has been CGDA

To repeat: CGDA

I had a conversation with him when he played at a venue in Sebastopal Calif a few years back…He told me CGDA

Perhaps he was wrong about his own tuning.

Are the fingering positions easier with the Irish tuning compared to the standard CGDA tuning ?
I was taught traditional Irish music on a standard tuned banjo.

Many, if not most Irish tunes are in D or G or in a mode notated with one or two sharps. This makes GDAE very convenient if you are using open strings. You rarely need to move out of second position except to hit the high B. Beyond that many tenor players also play the fiddle or mandolin so that in GDAE they don’t have to do any transposition to know the fingering.

The above discussion is interesting. I always thought that O’Connor used CGDA with a capo on the second fret, effectively giving him DAEB.