Brian Prior - A great send off.

Brian Prior - A great send off.

A fine send off to a gentleman of traditional music.

This morning we gathered in St Joseph’s Church, Ennis to say farewell to a gentle but powerful soul. We took leave of our true friend Brian Prior.

As it should have been, it was Brian’s session collegues who provided the music for the funeral mass with a number of the tunes from the Foinn Seisiun collection. Brian’s best friend Frank Whelan played the very appropriate ‘Taimse i mo codladh’ on the Uilleann Pipes.

For a man who spent so much time encouraging those at the on the early rungs of traditional muisc there was no shortage of the great and the good among the mourners. Tommy Peoples, Siobhan Peoples, Kevin Crawford, Sean O Se, Paul Brock, Garry Shannon, Niall Keegan, Martin Connolly, Denis Liddy, John Lynch, Frank Custy and Padraic O’Reilly were some of those who turned up to see off a friend and fellow musician.

Comhaltas played their part too providing an honour guard at both the removal and again at the funeral. The Director General of Comhaltas spoke of the inspiration Brian was to all who encountered him. The Prior family invited all back to Cois na hAbhana where there was a fine buffet and a chance to air and swop stories of Brian. The afternoon was rounded off as Brian would have wanted, the very important session.

Re: Brian Prior - A great send off.

Thanks for painting the picture. Sorry to see him go….

Posted .

I will miss our all too infrequent encounters. He always made me feel so welcome - a very decent soul. RIP

Thanks ~ at a distance, thinking of Brian, known as Bannerman here, I played "Captain O’Kane" / "The Wounded Hussar" and had a nice slow dram of single malt Scotch, a small splash of which was given up for the missing…

I assume he was also clarebannerman on youtube? He put up some of the videos that have been of the greatest inspiration to me. A great way of helping us all to better understand music.

Posted by .

Thank you MadTrad! I really wanted to come as well, because Brians encouragement and love for music inspired me so much, but unfortunately I could’t. I am glad that he had such a great send-off. I will miss him very much.

Tirro, no, Bannerman and Clarebannerman (the YouTube poster) are not the same. An easy confusion to make, I must admit.

Let me just say how saddened I am by Brian’s passing. I was playing in Kiely’s of Donnybrook last Thursday night (his funeral was earlier that day) when the news was broken to me. I couldn’t believe I wasn’t told earlier and was gutted to have missed the funeral. Brian was a very big influence in my early days of learning music and the banjo. He was always welcoming and kind-hearted. He would often give me, at 14 years of age, the opportunity to start a set of tunes myself, amongst the ‘more learned.’ I have very fond memories of Brian, be it in Monkstown’s Cúlturlann, Cois na hAbhana or anywhere else that Irish musicians could find themselves on a given night. He was a gentleman and hard worker. A well-spoken man who was easy to approach, had time for anyone and (I can gladly report this first hand) always encouraged beginners and youngsters learning the music. Had it not been for Brian, I may have well been discouraged from the session scene altogether!

Brian is now at the big session in the sky, and I can picture him, fiddle in hand, playing "Devanney’s Goat", "The Galway Rambler" and "Last Night’s Fun."

Rest in Peace Brian, we shall meet again some day….

Brian always made you feel as if he’d been waiting for you to arrive and had kept you a seat. And then made you feel as if the night just wouldn’t have been nearly as good if you hadn’t turned up.

Big shoes to fill.

Re: Bannerman…Brian Prior.

I’m not sure what you mean by this post…but I have a bad feeling about it.

Why, Greg?

I never (knowingly) met him but Bannerman’s posts will always be missed here. And going by what has been said about him on here he always seemed a perfect gentleman.

I never met Bannerman either, but his knowledge and enthusiasm for our music was outstanding.
As Danny says, his presence on this board and at many festivals in Ireland will be sadly missed.
I cannot understand Greg´s post.

I think Greg was unaware of the reason for Brian’s absence (but feared the worst) when he posted.

Yes, I had missed the earlier thread and had not known of his passing. I always enjoyed his posts, and I’m sorry he’s gone.

Ah, clearly a misunderstanding !
Let´s hope that Brian will be remembered by those attending the forthcoming Fleadh Nua in Ennis.

Definitely won’t be the same without him. I was invited by Brian to take part in the Fleadh Nua for the last few years, he always looked at the "Dublin" crowd! Think I’ll give it a miss this year……still find it hard to believe that he’s not with us.

Indeed, we miss him on here, and thank you for remembering him at the Fleadh for us.

I’m very sorry to hear that Brian (Bannerman) had passed away - I didn’t realise, missed the aforementioned thread. I’ll play a tune tonight. I also appreciated the videos he put up on utube. Life is indeed precious and often we take it for granted - my daughter and her workmate were in a car accident in Stockholm two days ago, an idiot woman texting on her mobile crashed into their parked van, they came out of it unhurt, physically, but very shocked. Doesn’t take much

Sadly Missed

I dont think Bannerman on utube is the same person

I only just heard about this a week or so back when I (belatedly as usual) received my Treoir. A truly sad loss for many people. I hope he’s enjoying great sessions wherever he is.