Kim Vincent RIP

Kim Vincent RIP

Fiddle master Kim Vincent died peacefully this Wednesday in Ottawa. Musically speaking his demise is a huge loss for the traditional community in Canada. His recent session stint for the last couple of years at Dora Keogh’s Pub in Toronto saw him at the top of his game. He taught a new generation of fiddlers on PEI before relocating to Ontario. Kim was rightly regarded on both sides of the Atlantic as being one of the great fiddlers of his generation. His funeral will be held on PEI this Sunday.

Re: Kim Vincent RIP

That’s a huge loss indeed.

Posted by .

I’m so sorry that I didn’t get to study with him or hear more of him. You are right- it is a great loss and he will be sorely missed!

Posted by .

Kim had a way of making those of us learning the music sound good and he never minded playing a tune that others might sneer at. He was a great inspiration and it’s hard to believe that we’ll never hear him again.

Regretfully, I had too few lessons with him. Music was his life. Gone too young…
My condolences to his girls.
Helen in PEI

I’m so sorry to hear about his passing. He was indeed a fine fiddler and an even finer gentleman.

Very sorry to hear the news - I never got to know him well but he struck me as a solid figure in the Toronto scene.

Wow!

Thanks, Pat, for posting this! Kim was (can’t believe I’m using the past tense here) somebody with whom you could pull out any tune that came into your head and he’d not only know it, but inspire you to play it better than you ever would have on your own. His humility also belied his brilliance on the fiddle and the guy was a huge help to me when I was getting started (on the box) and I’m sure a lot of others will say the same there.

I always looked forward to playing with him at Dora’s every time I went back to T.O. and was actually looking forward to doing the same sometime next summer.

This bit of news comes as a real shock and it’s saddening, to say the least. I echo your statement about this being a huge loss for traditional music in this country and I send my condolences to his family and everyone else out east that was close to him. RIP.

Dan

Posted by .

Very lovely playing and very sad news, indeed.

Here is the notice from today’s Chronicle Herald:

VINCENT, Lorne Kim

— The death occurred in the home of his sister, Jill MacLean, in Kanata, Ont., on Wednesday, December 16, 2009, of Kim Vincent, formerly of Toronto, Ont., South Granville and Summerside, P.E.I., at the age of 55. Left to mourn are his daughters, Ilsa and Hannah; his father, Lorne Vincent; sister, Jill (Jerome) MacLean; brother, Kerry (Jane) Vincent; nieces and nephews, Courtney, Zach, Brody, Ryan, Kate and Ben. Also left to mourn are Sigrid Rolfe, Grace Law and many friends, former students and musicians. Kim was predeceased by his mother, Norma (Jamieson) Vincent. If so desired, memorial donations to a fund for Ilsa and Hannah would be appreciated. Arrangements have been entrusted to Central Queen’s Funeral Home, New Glasgow. www.peifuneralcoops.com

"Kind father, loved son and brother, good friend, gifted and generous musician, luthier, artist and teacher."

KIm Vincent was one of the finest fiddlers that Canada has ever produced. He was rarely recorded but his reputation lives on. RIP KIm, All is in good hands.

What caused his passing anyway? I’m only asking because I’m still blown away by this.

Posted by .

Cancer

Geez…I was afraid you’d respond with that. Well, it’s a real shame but I guess he’s in a better place. RIP.

Posted by .

Was tramping around Canada about six years ago and had the pleasure of staying with Kim and Grace in P.E.I. for about a week. Only came across this discussion now, and very sorry to come across this news. Learned so much from him even in those few days. Huge inspiration, great teacher, amazing musician, fondly remembered. RIP. Joe Grady.

Posted by .

Just a shot in the dark, but: if anyone has any recordings of Kim, could you please put them up on youtube or somewhere somehow on the ‘net? I used to play a bit with Kim and the gang in the old days, and was always in awe of his talent and mastery of the fiddle. I’m afraid the awe wasn’t reciprocated, but no reason why it would be … ! Anyway - wish I could hear more of him now ….