Fitting tunes to Whistle

Fitting tunes to Whistle

I’m rather curious about what other people do when faced with a tune (like the Golden Eagle or the Pumpherston Hornpipe) which simply does not fit on the instrument. In the case of the Golden Eagle - the two middle Cs are not friendly. What do you do? I tend to play an octave up, or a third up, depending on how it sounds but I’m just a little curious about other people’s approaches.

Re: Fitting tunes to Whistle

This will make me sound like a lazy bugger, but if a tune doesn’t fit well on the whistle I generally tend not to bother learning/playing it - there is no shortage of great tunes that fit perfectly within the range of the whistle. If a tune has an occasional note below the bottom D (I’m thinking of Martin Wynne’s #1 & #2), I’ll just play the offending notes an octave higher.

I’m with Craic on this one - why make life hard?

if a tune doesn’t fit well on the whistle, then I’ll try playing on another instrument - simples!

it depends on how the note is used, if it is just one quick note off either end of the whistle, I sort of just leave a short rest there, or I play variation that is all on a d whistle

but if it is a strong note that really anchors the melody, well…you’re sort of out of luck

but if I’m by myself, I just play the tune in D regardless of what key most people play it in

another option is another whistle, like a C whistle, but that’s not always going to work itself out either

but that’s my options: play a variation, change the key, change whistles, or have a drink

some fiddle tunes just have too big a range, too, so if that’s the case there’s realy nothing you can do

Have you heard this version of "Golden Eagle"? Donncha O’Briain
http://www.rogermillington.com/tunetoc/goldeneagle.html
It depends on the tune. There are a few tunes which are very comfortable, for me, on a different whistle. I usually have a G,C & A whistle. I also have a Low C, which I don’t always bring. Nice sound.

Posted by .

Tats what the A row on my accordion is for!

Choice of solutions:

1) Switch to the octave above
2) Switch to a "C" whistle
3) Switch to a descant recorder
4) Take up the fiddle, button accordian etc.
5) Obtain low "C" by covering all holes and also covering almost all of the end of the whistle with the little finger of your right hand - very difficult 🙁
5) Go the the bar and get a drink instead - much easier 🙂

The soultion of Mix O’Lydian of covering with the little finger gave me another idea: you can try placing the whistle above your leg and cover the end of the whistle also ;)

Im just trying to see if this works for Erin shore

Ahmm ok…after the test…I think it’s better to change part of the tune to a higher octave. Good luck.