I got a fever, and the only prescription… is more PIANO!!!

I got a fever, and the only prescription… is more PIANO!!!

looking for music along the lines of Frankie Gavin’s ‘Fierce Traditional’ or the old 78’s with the piano backing. Any suggestions?

ps I don’t care if you don’t like piano backing- start your own thread if you want to bash pianos!!!

Re: I got a fever, and the only prescription… is more PIANO!!!

I bashed a piano once. Hurt me hand.

Seamus Quinn and Ben Lennon - Dog Big Dog Little

Michael Coleman - Mrs Kennys Barndance

Frankie Gavin and Paul Brock - Omos Do Joe Cooley

Seamus Tansey - King of the Concert Flute

Also anything by Dan Sullivan (20s and 30s), in particular backing Michael Hanafin.

Joe Derrane: Give Us Another (Felix Dolan on piano)

Great album - eventhough I’m not the biggest fan of the "traditional" piano backing in ITM.

Posted by .

Oh - and definately you have to check out ‘Humdinger’ by Paul Brock and Enda Scahill, there’s some really tasty and juicy piano accompaniment going on…

Posted by .

Piper Jarleth Henderson has a nice set (Old Bush / Jolly Tinker / Richard Dwyer’s) featuring some great piano - it’s on iTunes.

Somebody posted this link a while back:
http://ceolalainn.blogspot.com/

There are a few albums with piano backing, I can’t remember which ones.

by the way, the only prescription is More Banjo!

no, the only prescription is ‘more piano’ believe me i know

the piano is grand … and that’s all there is to it

Another Derrane album, Ireland’s Harvest also has some fine piano. As does that new Pride of New York group with Joanie Madden and Billy McComisky, with the young Dolan on piano.

Too bad Christopher Walken can’t get royalties every time somebody steals his "I’ve got a fever, and the only prescription.." line.

Thanks so much everyone. I really appreciate the info and I’ll be checking these out.

”Fortune favours the Merry”
recording of Peter Horan and Gerry Harriington, with piano backing from Ollie Ross

Well, this is nice, good on y’all. I likes my jigs and reels with some bouncy piano as well. Seems like a few years ago it was six or eight strings only, and all anyone could say about the piano was "Oh gawd, you mean that nonsense on those old Coleman recordings?"

I didn’t see it above, but if I missed it, it bears repeating: Kathleen Collins’ "Traditional Music of Ireland" with James Mahon on piano. An absolutely must-have album. I’m serious.

Most good old ceili band records from the past has a piano backing on them. I always liked the piano intro to the ‘tune set’, probably because it t stirrs the old memory..

enDaC, you should have used a sledgehammer to bash the piano because you are less likely to hurt your hand when you use a sledgehammer.

Pianos can be upright as well as grand. Have you ever heard that ragtime piano players do it upright?

Do we need to take up a collection and have a piano delivered to Shanty’s house?

Ya know, a year ago an aquaintence was trying to get rid of an old upright. She would’ve given it to me for free. Now I’ve never played piano and have never had a music lesson in my life but I love ragtime and piano backing in Irish dance music. Alas I turned her down-I have a very small house and am a fanatic when learning a new instrument. I thought it best for my wife and neighbors if I declined the offer.

I love the reference to the cowbell skit in the title of this thread, got me interested quick. Thanks!

Posted by .

shanty i couldn’t agree more. Brian McGrath who plays on Fierce Traditional is the best of the lot. looking through my itunes here are some more albums he’s on

at the racket
brian rooney - the godfather, leitrim to london
edel fox and ronan o’flaherty
some of frankie gavin’s other albums
many of john carty’s albums

other good players are john blake (already mentioned) on tap room trio, the colm gannon cd a little, happy to meet by james cullinane and pj crotty (which carol cullinane is also on and she is good)
michelle mulcahy is really good on the new mulcahy family cd
paddy mcevoy is great on catherine mcevoys the home ruler and on john wynne’s new cd.
geraldine cotter is great on the thing itself (is she on the spectacle bridge by michael hynes and dennis liddy? whoever that is is awesome too.)
and last but not least charlie lennon who most of the players i’ve mentioned so far would have based their style on to some degree.

anyone have any good resources for learning irish piano? i’ve just starting trying to nut it out myself just from listening, but having never played piano before in any style progress is very slow. i can pick up baselines ok, but my ear isn’t trained to hear chords (just tunes…)

(apologies for the lack of punctuation/capitalisation, i was typing too fast for all that!)

Felix Doran is on Catherine and John McEvoy’s "The Kilmore Fancy"

If you like ‘Humdinger’ by Paul Brock and Enda Scahill, you’ll love the concert in Sixmilebridge this weekend, with Ryan Molloy on piano!
www.wmw.ie

Wow-I never knew that it was Brian McGrath playing piano on Fierce Traditional. I’ve only got a poor battered cassette tape copy of the recording. He’s one of the reasons I took up banjo.
Thanks again to everyone!

i just remembered Brian McGath is also on Cathal Hayden’s CD.

*McGrath* :P and yes, he’s a great banjo player too

If you want to play piano, all you need to do is strike the keys with your fingers. You don’t necessarily have to strike the keys in the correct order either but that works only if you are trying to play some modern, atonal music instead of Irish music.
Kjay_bc_box, I can pick up "baselines" also but only when I am playing baseball. As for other types of "basslines" I can pick them up easily if I have enough fish.

I’ve got an uncle,wonderful person, crazy as hell though, can’t read a note of music, plays ragtime like he’s Scott Joplin.

kjay_bc_box- you’ve already got the most wonderful resources you need-they are attached to your head. Some call them ears.
:) Good luck with the piano!

It’s too bad that you can’t temporarily detach your ears when someone plays a tune you don’t like.

“I didn’t see it above, but if I missed it, it bears repeating: Kathleen Collins’ "Traditional Music of Ireland" with James Mahon on piano. An absolutely must-have album. I’m serious.”

I don’t know how many times I almost bought that album when it was on the vinyl shelves years ago, but I wasn’t familiar with Kathleen and something else always caught my eye. So on your recommendation, fidkid, I just bought it. I’ve only listened to a few cuts, but I loved it from the start. Thanks.

Scott Who Shanty? (just kidding with tongue firmly planted in cheek)