Sportin Paddy lads of Laois

Sportin Paddy lads of Laois

Hi people, Does anyone know who wrote these tunes or is their origin lost in the mists of antiquity? Thanks for any replies

Re: Sportin Paddy lads of Laois

Ah, some Paddy wrote the first one, I’d hazard a guess..

Posted .

Or someone wrote it about Paddy………..

Lads of Laois is by Tommy Potts. Sporting Paddy is rather ancient, composer unknown.

According to the Fiddlers Companion, Lads of Laoise is also ancient, originally Scottish in origin, where it was called the Lads of Leith, and was first recorded by an Irish person in 1945, by Paddy Killoran. It also mentions that the tune is sometimes attributed to Tommy Potts but that he himself never claimed it as one of his.

Posted by .

Not wishing to split hairs but given that the Brits invented the county system in Ireland and Laois was called Queen’s County up until the 1920’s - should it not be the ‘Lads of Queen’s County’??!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_Laois

Posted .

Why, when it’s a corruption of "Leith"?

Posted by .

Called Queen’s County by the British (or English, open another can of worms). Was it called Laois all along by the Irish?

Today’s Laois was officially known as Queen’s County from the late 16th century right up to 1921.

Sportin Paddy was a greyhound who was let off the laois one day and was never seen again.

Posted by .

Lads ofLeith was also known as Sic a wife hae I Gotten, From mid 1700s.

There actually is currently a quite successful greyhound called Sporting Paddy (whose grand-dam was Sporting Debbie, which doesn’t quite have the same ring to it). Oh, my misspent youth still haunts me!

Posted by .