Kate McGarrigle R.I.P.

Kate McGarrigle R.I.P.

She and her sister Anna wrote some of the best songs of the last forty years. I was lucky enough to see them on three magical occasions.

Kate will be missed enormously.

I can’t believe she’s gone. I will play her songs tonight then I don’t have to believe it

Re: Kate McGarrigle R.I.P.

I’ve obviously missed this piece of news.
When did this happen ?

Ah, quick search on the Yahoo News - apparently on Monday night, from clear-cell sarcoma, a form of cancer. Her sister announced it yesterday.
I agree absolutely with Geoff.
I’m trying to remember how many times I saw them - I do remember a shambolic London gig, filled with both magic and distracting PA chaos.
Their albums remain a source of great pleasure.

Sad to hear that. I loved their ‘Kate and Anna McGarrigle album. Great voices.

I agree Guernsey, their gigs were an absolute shambles between songs but as soon as the music started you were transported. They always had great fiddlers with them too so I was happy.

The last time I saw then was at the Guildford festival about ten years ago and they only just made that as Anna had gone into a hypoglycaemic coma that afternoon and was only brought round with about four gallons of coke (the fizzy sort I assume) and a Mars bar. Martha joined them on stage and I thought Hmmmm! Not as good as her mum. But then again, who is?

The last time I saw them …not then.

Damn.

Sad news.
Many’s the time I rocked to Move Over Moon.

I love their songs, voicers, and spirit. Went to see them years ago on a bill with Arlo Guthrie. Silly me, I thought Arlo would be opening for the sisters — surprised to see the reverse.

Posted by .

Sorry, that’s songs, voices, and spirit. Although their voicers were good, too.

Posted by .