Jim Manning RIP

Jim Manning RIP

Sorry to report the passing of Jim Manning [ Kilkenny] a man with a great store of tunes who delighted in passing them on. Jim played fiddle in a gregarious fashion, never one for fine ornamentation, or showing off, he continued to play into his 90s, occasionally making the trip with one of his daughters to a session on Kilkenny, he will be sadly missed by the many musicians in the Kilkenny / Carlow area. He played for many years in Mrs. O’Reilly’s pub in Thomastown [The Bridge Brook Arms] , in the Kilford Arms in Kilkenny, and at many feiseanna and fleadh ceoils and sessions in the leinster area.
Ar Dheis De go raibh a anam

Re: Jim Manning RIP

There are too many RIPs going on, sad to say. All the more reason it’s up to the rest of us to carry the baton forward, if we honor those who came before us, that is.

Backer:

Was Mr. Manning recorded at all, and, if so, where can it be accessed for us to hear?

Posted by .

Rook, as far as I’m aware he was never recorded, apart from family and private recordings which will probably never find their way into the public domain. Is this a pity? I suppose he was someone who never sought the public gaze, but would seek out like minded people to play with. He was born in 1916, the youngest of a large family, and played most of his music in times when it was unpopular, and sometimes even dangerous!
Jimmy B, how true it is…Too many RIPs. Four friends of Jim’s played at his funeral mass today. Billy carrigan, Anthony Mccauley, Jimmy Spruhan, and myself. Many musicians and neighbours attended. Some years ago Jim was presented with an award by Comhaltas ceoiltoiri Eireann Kilkenny branch to honour his contribution to the music.

Yes, there are some recordings in the family and as a member of said family I intend rooting out any other recordings going around from other sources over the years. Backer, I think I have figured out your identity!!

Posted by .