Trian

Trian

I really enjoy Liz Carroll’s CDs

A friend indeed
Liz Carroll
Lost in the Loop
In Play
Kiss me Kate

and I’ve just ordered ‘Double Play’, but I’ve not heard the Trian 1 and Trian 2 albums. The comments in the Recording section here are scanty to say the least (1 brief comment on each CD). What do you think of them, and how do they compare to Liz’s other CDs? Thanks for any input.

Re: Trian

Trian II is one of my favourite trad recordings, if I were to make a personal top three Trian II is in it. Great tunes and songs, wonderful playing, very sensitive.

Thanks guys, I’m also a long time admirer of Liz Carroll and was wondering the same thing.

Double Play is great BTW Domnull, like a lot of albums with new tunes it takes a few listens to really get into it but when you do the tunes are cracking.

Both excellent, 2nd one in particular. I’d say better than the other recordings you’ve listed apart from "Lost In The Loop".

Posted by .

Both Trian albums are excellent, when I got the first one I played it all day.

I guess I’ll be picking up Trian I and II then.

Yes, definitely another sale here…..

Somehow never managed to lay my hands on the 1st album, is it out of print?

May be difficult to find. You could always try contacting Liz through her website.

Posted by .

The first Trian album was on Flying Fish Records, and was notable in that it was probably the only Irish music in their entire catalog. Flying Fish ultimately got bought by Rounder Records, and a search of Rounder’s current website shows that the Trian recording is still available there - but only on cassette.

Trian II came out on Green Linnet Records, which at the time was one of the top two labels (maybe the only two) in the US that released Irish trad recordings. (The other one was Shanachie.) When Green Linnet imploded after years of challenges from its artists over non-payment of royalties, its catalog was bought by Compass Records. A search of the Compass website shows that Trian II is currently available from them on CD.

All of the clips on that amazon.co.uk site are from Trian II.

I see you can get Trian 1 on itunes. Not ideal but at least it’s available.

Thanks, johnkerr. Now I know the reason why nr. 1 is so hard to find. It always puzzled me.

Looks like you can get them both on amazon. Though it may be one of those things where it’s on amazon but it’s not actually available.

Trian 1 and 2 are fantastic albums though I’m more attracted to Billy McComiskey’s box playing, as nice a player Liz is. Love Billy’s style!

i think they’re both beautiful. i pestered billy to give me "pauline conneelly’s" in catskills class this last summer, which he very generously did….gee, it’s lovely…

If the first Trian album can be listened to in its entirety on Last.fm then in principle it could be streamed onto a computer as an audio file - for free. I would hope that Last.fm have a suitable arrangement with Trian to recompense them.
I’ve just checked - both the first Trian album and Trian II can be purchased from the iTunes Store for £7.99 each.

Thanks for all replies - I managed to order Trian 1 from Amazon yesterday (although about £17) - order confirmed (shipped from USA) but not yet dispatched - we shall see!

Trian 2 - cheapest I’ve found is on Play.com (£12)

I suggest that if you live in the UK it’s probably more cost effective and quicker to get things from Amazon.co.uk rather Amazon.com (the USA end of Amazon), if they are available. If you’re living in continental EU then Amazon.de could be your preference.