PLEASE HELP!!! I need an Irish Band for St Patrick’s Day

PLEASE HELP!!! I need an Irish Band for St Patrick’s Day

I was wondering if anyone could be of an assistant, i am an event manager (newly appointed) for a pub in Kiveton Park, Sheffield. I need a local irish band to play at my St. Patrick’s Day event. I had no luck so far, please does anyone have any suggestions. Appreciate any help. Thank you.

Re: PLEASE HELP!!! I need an Irish Band for St Patrick’s Day

Does "local" include North East Scotland?
If the price is right …..

Posted by .

You know when to start booking for next St. Patrick’s Day?

March 18th.

…but good luck!

Hi,
I play regularly with Irish players in Sheffield (I used to live there ) and could probably sort out a band (very good players, play in all sorts of band set-ups). However the price would have to be right even thought they’re local!

Fran

what would you call a reasonly price?

well, for playing we get 10 dollars and for not playing we get 20 dollars. Then we have to rehearse. For that we get 30 dollars. But then of course , if we don’t rehearse, we don’t play, and if we don’t play, THAT can run into some money!

Nate, can I join you in not playing? I’ll not play the pipes, since I don’t play the pipes.

I don’t think we could afford that, Bob. Not playing the pipes gets pretty expensive

Sarah, thinking about this, you might just get yourself one helluva session if you want, by posting your request on here - could you handle and cheaply accommodate some 15-25 or so session players from various parts of these islands and beyond, for a day or two? This could be a fantastic sequel along the lines of the "session.org session", held a few years ago in London:
https://thesession.org/discussions/8526/comments#comment182355
Depends what you’re up for - but it could be good. Your call. No worries if not.

Hi Sarah,
If you are interested in Sheffield folk that I know please send a message to my username, thanks,

Fran

Sarah, If you haven’t noticed by now, you get a lot of chaff with the wheat around here!

I like danny flute whistle box’s suggestion. I’d probably be up for going to Sheffield if there was going to be fine music when I get there

Posted .

Hey Sarah!

What about this bunch? At least they appear to know the correct tune …

.. not sure about about the colour of their outfits, though … 😉

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZVAM3eEky8

.. good luck in your quest, anyway … 🙂

Dude, if you follow Danny’s suggestion you might get an epic session. 🙂 I’d come down to Sheffield for that.

I don’t think my suggestion is "a lot of chaff with the wheat". If this was favourable to Sarah, I’d seriously consider coming up to Sheffield for it. We did a mega-sesh before in London for Zina’s visit as I linked to. And a mini-one in Lewisham where I met the Spear.

I concur with SWFL fiddler. On St Pat’s Day, that celebration of the most famous WELSHMAN in the world ( True ! ) a real Irish band is at a premium.
My suggestion is that, whatever the audience you are expecting, the most important thing is to have an actual Irish person as front-person. Everybody else can keep their mouths shut and just play, but yer frontperson MUST be from the Auld Country.
Liked Nate’s rates of pay too. Wasn’t that from Shyster, Flywheel, and Shyster ?

I always enjoy those last minute phone calls, "We’ll give you free beer and plenty off cornbeef and cabbage!".

Reply, "but Paddy’s pub is giving me "more" free beer, plus cornbeef and cabbage as well".

Response, "but were going to have a full house and have no music booked".

Reply, "Can you afford $300 for some musicians.

response, "With a full house, all we can afford is $50"

Final reply, " I can send you over a clown in a green suit for $10, good news is he doesn’t drink so you’ll save another $3 on all that free green beer too!".

Hi Sarah,
Are you wanting good musicians or are you only wanting average singers?

How many do you consider to be a band? two? three? more?

How much are you prepared to offer each? £90?, £50? less?

The first local session that I started going to, a few years ago, the ( notoriously grumpy ) landlord would invite us back for money ( £60 between us ) for St Pats, "But no more than 6 of you !" so the pub wasn’t taken over by musicians to the detriment of pulling in punters.
Most people who want an Irish band for St Pats have, first, no idea of what to pay for such a thing, and, secondly, no interest in booking one the rest of the year.
For this, we are expected to be practising all year ?
Good luck, seriously, but I hope you’ll invite them back again BEFORE next year.

>the most famous WELSHMAN in the world ( True ! )

I demur Pete: really more famous than Arthur Machen & John Cowper Powys?

Is there no justice to be found in this world?

- chris