Micheal Mc Goldrick & Co "Aurora"

Micheal Mc Goldrick & Co "Aurora"

As much as submitting a discussion has become akin to squatting over a bucket in a yellow field full of American tourists, curiosity wins..
Anyone heard the album? sum kind fella submitted it to the recordings section and no one had anything to say..?!!?..ARR ye MAD? Im Incredulous! Could it be people witha clue couldnt be arsed with this site? Call the man a Cynic but, it seems true to form that what is definately a discussion worthy event in trad, is bypassed by the Bluegrass Brigade and Sally Gardens crew.. Rise up..

Re: Micheal Mc Goldrick & Co "Aurora"

I’ve noticed the album but don’t know. Who are the co? And is it good?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6K7DRCSG40

this mite have somthing to do with it. pity about the sound.

Ive heard no talk of it either.. Kevin Crawford and Cillian Vallelys new album is another one that sneaked under the radar. Cracker..
Aurora isnt even availble to buy, or so it seems. From Vertical anyway.. Mabye the Mancunian Mafia will notice dis thred

Aye, I bought the Kevin Crawford and Cillian Vallely album at christmas and really like it. McGoldrick, Shannon etc - liked about half the Tunes album but wasn’t so keen on the Americana type stuff (biily in the lowground etc) and think the Galician type stuff should be left to the Galicians, because they do it best. But there are some great tracks. Curious about Aurora. McGoldrick is a great player IMO but prefer when he plays more traddy and less poppy.

What’s wrong with Americana? Have you never listened to Son Volt, Wilco, The Felice Brothers, Bill Callaghan, Willard Grant Conspiracy, Richmond Fontaine, Bonnie "prince" Billy, I could go on, I should go on, there again, nobody understands me. The new Midlake album is a cracker. Fidil 3 is the best traddy album in a long while, doubt if Aurora will be half as good.

Oh, wrong site, again!

strayaway, yes you’re right, no I have never listened to it because there is endless supply of my favourite music to listen to. Never liked any americana I’ve heard. Doesn’t make it bad, just not my taste.

I agree.. I thought the C Chanter and Flute were amazing, somthing a bit Lunasa esque bout the arrangments. (or Crawford Vallely esque about Lunasa then) Still a class album, only got it the other week and lent it out to sum Hungry chap with "locks", so havnt got a chance to absorb it yet.. easy to become oblivious to new releases when theres work to be done and techniques to learn and the when the focus is narrow.. I hear what your sayin bout pop trad. Mc Goldricks best solo album was Morning Rory without a doubt. Bit the same a learning Flook sets, Mc Goldricks "pop" sets can draw funny looks.

Americana=offspring= Giros , underage drinking , mixed toliets and abolition of innocence.. any other belfast heads remember Giros? that would have been a fun place to try and have a session

I eat meat, trucks, pref with the blood running out of it.

Would be too rich of me to knock the poppy stuff but prefer the more trad. The c chanter sound on Common Ground is lovely, and some great arrangements of older tunes. Like the irish version of the Scottish "Drummond Lasses", put their version up here https://thesession.org/tunes/1945

doesn’t seems to be any Aurora tour dates for Ireland. could be wrong.. Would be great if they had gone back to the the pure drop on this album

in the comments that is………

yer makin me impatient to get the album back.. suppose "poppy" stuuf is as much about the style as the tunes.. pre madonnas tend to ramp it up but it does sound well incorporated into a trad set.. good fun to play. just not with yer granda

know any other good albums on the cards over the coming months??
John Mc Sherrys releasing his solo jobbie on 6th march to name one. Should be some mad notes.

and its .co.uk aswell.. good man yerself. cheers

you too trucks

Posted by .

twas worth posting this discussion for that link alone.. havnt come across the site before. tis an actual shop too which makes you more inclined to deal with them.. nice one.. Fresh abuse for new year credit card bills on the horizon

Bad sound there Trucks, but no disguising a genius. Was backstage with PK at Celtic Connections a few years ago and he was well p*ssed, my mates thought he might struggle but played with Na Keen Affair and the music pinned me to the back wall.

saw the livelinks documentary of him in mali, suppose twas a rare glimpse into the mind of the man himself. thought provoking to say the least. I met him once at Glor in Ennis was only 18 r sumthin and was outside havin a cup of coffee and ther infront of me stood Paddy Keenan! he was embarrassed when I asked him to sign my ticket but obliged nonetheless.. fair balls goin to mali an doin that documentary took himself and his music totally out of context and without presumption..amazing.. people talk of pushing the boundaries yet others set the boundaries..

Coda music are sound, Trucks - well worth supporting.

Posted by .

O_O Damn why doesn’t he have a website and/or a myspace…? Do you know anywhere I can buy Aurora using PayPal? Thanks.

I submitted the CD to the recordings section. It’s a brilliant CD. Quite like the other ones (Fused and Wired) but that’s something I really don’t get tired of. Many of Mike McGoldrick’s talents are shown throughout this album. He even sings and plays guitar on one of the tracks. If anyone’s looking for a CD to buy themselves or anyone else who would be interested, I’d definitely recommend this one.

I second that, another brilliant cd from Mike, i cant reccomend it enough.

I must admit I was really surprised when the MM album listing was posted on the recordings section. I have followed MM since his Young Tradition days and have enjoyed everything he has done. I was pleased to see the title of the album had broken from the Fused/Wired model! Looking forward to get my hands on the album but I will have to wait until my birthday comes around in mid March which has really pleased my wife as she struggles to find things I really want.

i’ve just received it from S&I Music Store Glasgow, Scotland . It’s great.
As a fellow Manc I’ve followwed his playing since Toss the Feathers .

it has a lot of his own tunes which are good.