whats your ax in trad sessions

whats your ax in trad sessions

Hi folks, this was likely covered before in some other thread, but just curious what guitar ye all use for backing. Mine is a Martin HD28. I like this as it has good projection and a deep bass, but sometimes i find the trebles a bit weak and find it doesnt cut through the mix in a large session. Great in smaller session though. Im thinking of buying either a Lowden (something like O32/F32 or O35/F35….I also like Gibsons,,J45 or J150

Re: whats your ax in trad sessions

Martin 000M

Vacuum cleaner.
Hoover with all the bells and whistles.

I played a Hoover once. It sucked.

I started with a Kirby. It was wimpy.
Paul Harvey swore by the Oreck. But he died. I wonder if his old one is in the attic.

I think George Gruhn has it in his shop.

I’m confused.

Martin DX1 - Made in Mexico, but still a neat guitar.

Mine is also a HD28. Last time I was in Ireland I played a Bolada guitar. Beautiful sound, magical workmanship was going to buy one but then the stockmarket collapsed so purchase put on hold.
One can never own too many guitars.

I recommend a Dyson, not a Hoover - use the exhaust to blow the pipes too !
My guitar of choice for a session is a ‘zouk, I don’t take the guitar along anymore. If it was just an ITM session, and I was pushed, the Guild D25 - loads of bass.

Looking round I reckon I see more Taylors than anything else these days. They sound OK, but don’t really pick up dog hairs.

Posted by .

I had a Taylor some years ago. Very little character from model to model, even with all those exotic woods, they play very well technically but they’re not particularly exciting in terms of sound.

I’m very much a fan of playing every guitar I can get my hands on… spent a few years convinced by traveling around locally and doing so that the sheer numbers would eventually turn out some interesting conclusions. The Martin 000 sized instruments have more character from example to example, the old Guild dreadnoughts might place second in my book. The main differences being not only size, but you can also get old Guilds at a steal compared to Martins. Old Yamahas are occasionally very cool guitars, just about all of them, so are Alvarez instruments (the solid ones).

But all that above has jack to do with session playing, for which I think a concert sized instrument is the best option, or maybe a 000 size. Dreadnoughts tend to be the wrong instruments for playing indoors, I think, and definitely wrong for Irish music for obvious reasons. But the concert body shape gives a pronounced mid range that can be heard amidst the clamor while retaining some of the bass and not overpowering with volume.

1982 martin d-18

Martin D-28

Posted by .

Chris Larkin ASAP cedar/walnut custom jobby.

Peter Madill, as soon as you strum the first chord people are asking about the guitar.

A Furch.

Yiz are a barrell of laughs Boatpiper, Jon, Seosamh & Eosaph. You missed ur vocations, u should be on stage……..as a plank :-)

Nothing better than a good chuckle to warm the soul I always say.
BTW
Andreus Rogge D full set in African blackwood and brass w/imitation ivory.

Collings D-1 cutaway. It’s loud with a big round bass tone. Very clear high hamonics and a subtle yet warm midrange. I use it mainly for fingerstyle and to backup songs. Occasinally I play rhythm for sessions. Usually I’m too busy with the pipes.

A Homelite with a 14" bar. The fuel line would come loose from the gas tank teat, until it got fixed with a loop of bailing wire.

Takamine EF341SC - I realise quite a few people don’t like Tak’s for trad but, playing in DADGAD, and having played heaps of other people’s guitars in sessions too - I’ve never played a guitar that sounds as good for backing - it’s good too coz it’s not too loud, it compliments the music without overpowering it

………only time I use "ax" is when I play in a Scrabble session.

I played a Gibson J-50 for years, until Delta Airlines decided I’d prefer it if they destroyed it. I used the compensation money to buy a Santa Cruz VJ, which is a lovely guitar for Doylian backing… it has the boomy bass and strong treble.

Furch. Little known Czech guitar. Incredible value for money.

I use 2 guitars for sessions.

My 1990 Martin M-36 is very good for backing tunes, great sound across all ranges, it can be heard through the other session instruments, especially when rhythym needs to come through.

My other guitar is a 1984 Guild F212-NT. I use this guitar when I play melody or play a combination of melody and chords. It’s a very nice sounding guitar though some trad musicians think it sounds "too muddy." With all due respect to the trad musicians who think that way, I get a lot of compliments from other folks who think the harp-like sound really contributes to the overall sound.