Liz Carroll & John Doyle Grammy nomination

Liz Carroll & John Doyle Grammy nomination

Not sure if anyone was aware, but Liz Carroll and John Doyle had been nominated for a Grammy (big USA music competition) in the category of Best Traditional World Music album for their album "Double Play". Just checked the results and unfortunately they didn’t win. Douga Mansa won for his album Mamadou Diabate. If you go to http://www.grammy.com/nominees and scroll about 2/3 of the way down the page you can see for yourself.

I know I could probably Google this and find my answer, but I was just curious if anyone knew off the top of their heads of any traditional Irish musicians winning a Grammy, or even being nominated in recent memory? Seems like a huge honor either way, but I don’t follow the Grammy awards that closely to know how often ITM finds its way into the awards. Can anyone enlighten me?

Re: Liz Carroll & John Doyle Grammy nomination

The Chieftains. I don’t know when or for what, but I’d put money on the Chieftains. I’d also be willing to bet that the Chieftains are the only trad group to have won a Grammy.
Just guessing…
someone with one of those internet thingies can check it out if they want….

The Chieftains are six-time Grammy winners and nineteen-time Grammy nominees.

Poor Liz and John. They’d have won hands down if they’d had a bodhran player.

Posted .

Or a synthesizer, I hear those are popular as well.

Piper……….that’s all it woulda took, a piper.

Sure, yeah. ‘Cause the Bothys have that shelf of grammys. Now, you throw some conga drums in there, and maybe the Rolling Stones, and Liz and John would have been in business.

O- fyddlestyx. The Grammys are way overrated. Next thing ya know, it’s all Hollywood, Swimmin pools and Movie stars. Who needs all that brewhaha. I’d much prefer my little cabin in the woods I tell ya.

Even with bodhran, synthetizer and two sets of pipes they would stand no chance. Celtic folk is soo passé with the hip folk (sorry for a bad pun). Had you followed the Davos summit you’d have known that this year it’s all Brazil, India and Africa.

Ah, Chieftains, makes sense. Guess my mind was stuck on thinking about the presumably lesser known duos/trios. Should have gone for the obvious.

No respect for acoustic players…..maybe if JD added a bit of fuzz tone, and LC used a neon green wireless fiddle with a phase shifter, they would have gotten more attention.

How about a synthesized bodhran? THe best of both worlds ? 😉

I forgot…I wonder if JD could dance and finger pick at the same time….or is that gimmick relegated to pixy-ish fiddle players?

Thanks for the link. Guess sound quality isn’t exactly the White House’s thing. Pretty cool nonetheless.

To clarify the first posting here - Mamadou Diabate
is the musician and Douga Mansa is the name of his album.

Whoops. Misread how it was listed on the website. Apologies for the mix-up.

Liz and John’s White House thing looked like the most awkward gig, ever. Playing in front of all those politicians and White House officials who looked deadly serious and just did not appear to get it. No one looked like they were enjoying themselves. It made you wish for the obnoxious punter who claps out of time with the music — at least that would have broke the somber atmosphere.

*broken even… they teach grammar in grad school

Couldn’t agree more Spear. Buncha stuft suits with thier noses stuck up in the air sniffin out thier next scam. But at least Obama’s got gigs for his Chi town homies.