Who on here would you like to meet?

Who on here would you like to meet?

I suppose the Fleadh Ceol in August would be the one place where there is a chance of coming face to face with some of the members of The Session. Most of the posters on here use a ‘nom de plume’ so my question is:-
What members on here would you like to meet, or would it spoil the illusion?
Assuming that members were wearing a name tag showing their ‘nom de plume’ would you introduce yourself and maybe even share a tune?
Would you prefer to remain anonymous ?

Re: Who on here would you like to meet?

Damn, a mirror, that spoils my delusions… 😎 I wouldn’t want to meet him in a dark pub…

Would that mean going to Cavan, like??!! You’ve always struck me as being a rock of great sensibility, Free Reed, a man who’s been around the block, who understands the ins & outs both in this country and abroad - so, I’ll vote for yourself!!

I’m not really into name tags though - if they hand them to me at conventions and the like, do my best to bin them.

Posted .

Danny McKay - of course.

Why do you ask.

I’d stay anonymous. And I’ve already met three posters, who will also remain anonymous.

I can’t stand blood.

Posted by .

I have been trying to get Herself to consent to a return to the maternal homeland. Right in about that time.

A bit late so it bumps right up against the start of school (Herself being a person charged with filling young heads with information and culture)

Let’s see how persuasive I can be

I’m a friendly dude. Just put "Swiffle" on my name tag. It’s all good. Let’s flap jaws and have a tune.

I’ve met and played tunes together with quite a few regular members of this site, but I’ve never been disillusioned.

Some of the women in the audience of this or that YouTube clip.

But they might not want to meet me.

Anyway, the ones in the older clips are probably about 180, and / or pushing up the daisies.

I’m not sure I want to meet them.

I would like to meet any number of members in person. I’ll try to limit this post to a couple.
It would be great to meet ceolachan. No worries friend, you won’t have to reveal that you hold a secret identity. But, if you begin dancing or playing ocarina or if you say anything it might give you away.
I won’t give this away, just a hint. Here is the member I always wanted to meet, "If you’re really lucky, I won’t turn up at your session unexpectedly."

Posted by .

~

& Ptarmigan’s dog. Rusty?

Posted by .

For the past several years, people have been organizing a session.org session at Willie Clancy Week. For the last two years myself and No Cause for Alarm have kind of organized it but it has been going on for longer than we’ve been going to Willie Week. I hear a few years ago even Jeremy showed up to it!

I don’t know how I managed to miss that session at Willie Week ‘09…

We’ve started doing it at Tom Malone’s. I’ll post the specific day and time and pub here. Check the board regularly around the last week of June. 🙂

I’d like to meet NameChangesRConfusing… and spoon. Come to think of it, they haven’t posted here in ages. I wonder what’s become of them.

I meant I can’t believe I missed it, since I was staying in the same caravan as the organiser 😀 I changed my name…

Right… so that just makes you lame. 🙂

Next year, man.

Anyone who likes a tune, a bit of "craic" and a few jars. Still hoping to meet "Longnote" some day, also "the Phantom Button", "Miss Lonelyhearts", "slainte", "ceolachan", Danny, "bogman", Jeremy himself, and many others whom I can’t think of at the moment. I’ve met quite a few "session" members over the past few years, mainly at the "Willie Clancy Week", but also in Australia. I’ve enjoyed the company and music of each and every one of them, even the one or two I’ve had disagreements with here in the past. I’ll be eternally grateful to Jeremy and this website for that, otherwise it may never have happened.

Posted by .

Bail ó Dhia oraibh! Greetings to all!

What a great question!

As mentioned above I also have met, and do know some of the members here, some from back home and some since I came to Australia.

I don’t know if I would be disappointed, but I’m sure that the personality in the flesh would be a great feeling of fulfilment; if you follow my drift, it’s like meeting the person who so often answers a ‘phone.

I’m a great believer in being able to send a smile down a ‘phone line, and, likewise, here on this site I find there’s some really positive (and maybe not sometimes!) energy.

Some of the members who used to post don’t seem to anymore, maybe they still visit though, and some of them would be on my list.

All the best to everyone anyway,

Brian x

Each and every one. Past present and future. ((<🙂

It has to be Jeremy our creator…..and on the last day he made bodhran from a splinter of a fiddle.

Michael Gill.

I’d also like to meet the Gill and Will Harmon. I’ve met and/ or
played with a few others in Oz. It’s always interesting and not at
all disappointing.

… also lazyhound, slainte and gian marco who’s posted about
500 tunes — he’s a legend

Gill. To shake the man by the hand and then have a bloody good argument. But if I ever found out he didn’t drink beer I’d very likely change my mind. Someone said Danny McKay. I must be bloody thick because I don’t know his current soubriquet. Also, I’m not sure who lazyhound is. Why can’t everyone be like me.

Actually he is Danny. Danny flute whistle box. tv before that.

Posted by .

I’ve only been a member for a few months but I’ve often clicked on a thread and found I’ve stumbled into The Hall of Elders.
I’ve been moved by the passion and sincerity of contributors so:
WLTM Justwhistle Boatpiper Twisty Ceolachan Al brown Batlady Nicholas Llig Leatrim Silver spear Jeremy Ethical blend Tall dark and mysterious PJ Docherty Free reed SWFL Fiddler Jimmy B Random-notes Miss Lonelyhearts ……..

I’m sorry if you did n’t make the list -you’ll just have to try harder ; )

You’re on the case Random, but thats the thread that convinced me

I would like to meet you all!
Group hug!
😉

Steve - if you do this google search it will tell you why you
may want to consider using a pseudonym:

"steve shaw" site:thesession.org

Eósaph! Yay! I made the list!

… I’d hated this thread before …

😀

Posted by .

I have also met a few who post here. They have, without fail, been decent, generous people.

Of course, there are certain ‘big names’ in terms of this site that I haven’t met …

🙂

Posted by .

Dow. I cannot BELIEVE no-one has mentioned him yet!

And, yeah, I’d like to meet loads of others, like Llig Leahcim and Ceolachan and SWFL Fiddler, Showaddydadito, Slainte and of course Jeremy the Great.

But Dow mainly.

I didn’t include "Dow", nor "Llig" nor "Zina" because we did meet up , 4 [?] years ago in "Sandy Bell’s". You obviously wouldn’t include the people you have already met in this thread.

Posted by .

JoeCSS - seeing as you’re in the next room whenever I play the banjo, just come through that door, man.

Kenny >> "You obviously wouldn’t include the people you have already met in this thread" - just to clarify - do you mean you wouldn’t want to meet them again?

I’ve met a lot of session.orgers. Some of them every week, some less often, some should be more often (Kenny, I will get back to Aberdeen soon for tune!).

Now I’d just like to meet everyone else who contributes regularly. 🙂

I had assumed the thread referred to people you hadn’t met yet. As I wrote up above - "I’ve enjoyed the music [ and I should have added, the company"] - of each and every one of them". I hope to meet them all again, somewhere along the road, [ or better still, in a pub ].

Posted by .

I’ve already knowingly met 4 contributors to this thread (myself included), and the man that made the fiddle of another one. And what more could I possibly want from life? (Actually, a session at Sandy Bell’s with Kenny, Llig, Dow and Zina sounds like the pinnacle of human existence - that’s something to aspire to).

Dow visited our session in Cambridge a while ago, and Zina (several times). Also Danny Mackay, Presumin Ed and I’m sure lots of others who probably keep a low profile on here (wisely!)

I’d like to meet lots of folks -

Certainly SWFL. I imagine we’d laugh ourselves silly converting old Black Flag and Circle Jerks tunes into jigs and reels.

Certainly Reverend. Him being a great big fella and me being roughly the same size as a Keebler Elf, we’d look like a ventriloquist act playing tunes together.

Certainly New Pure Drops Ear Canal Oil. If his tunes flow like his clever wit, his session would be brilliant.

I met and even had a couple of tunes with Llig before he became a member of this site. I hope he doesn’t remember me because I was really bad at that time. Dow visited Tokyo a few times and we even had a chat in Japanese. His Japanese was better than my English. Dow was a quiet person, but you were even quieter, "OrganicPeatCreature"! I’ve met Dr. MacKay twice in London, and found him a real character, who would match Cathal McConnel. "Ceolachan" kindly let me stay at his place a couple of times. Even now, I can’t thank him enough. Oh, and I also had a great time at Ptarmigan’s in Antrim. He brought me to a lively session with Dee Havlin that night.

I still haven’t met Kenny and Jeremy. But, I’m planning to visit Britain in May, so hopefully I’ll catch either of them soon. And yes, I hope to visit the States to meet Will and Jack some day.

Apart from why McKnowall wants to meet llig (LMAO), why do you actually want to meet the authors of session.org posts? We all understand *and* play this music, is that not the point; is that not enough? Together with the occasional trip to Ireland, that’s the point. I don’t really care to know whether the musician next to me contributes to the site; does it matter?

I don’t really care whether a musician sitting next to me contributes to this website either, and never disclose that I’m a member of thesesseion.org while joining new sessions in Ireland and Britain. But I’d love to meet someone who have much more experience in and understanding of this music. I forgot to mention Zina and "Floss the Tethers."

The words here have more power than the look of the authors…just like the music has more power than the players. Meeting the writers is probably more a distraction than anything more positive; the music will be here long after the players have gone; same as it is now. Listen, read; and enjoy. Meet if you must.
Cheers,
dd.

Duijera >> " I don’t really care to know whether the musician next to me contributes to the site; does it matter?"

What about the other way about - does it matter whether a contributor to this site plays Irish Traditional Music?

hmm …

Except for the Scolie Eigse in Listowel and Clonmel some years ago I don’t go to the Fleadh Ceol. I prefer the less frenetic, like Keadu, Clonakilty, Kilrush, Swinford, Donegal, Kenmare - any place where there is also set dancing for my SP to enjoy. At almost all of them I’ve met up with one or two members here. Haven’t decided where we’re going this year, but don’t look for me in Cavan in August 🙂

My musical travels have been curbed for a few years because of my job, but I occasionally get to meet people as they wander through my neighborhood (and crash on my couch)

There are certainly a number of you that I would like to have a tune or two with… You know who you are. 😉

It’s impossible to pick (and remember!) names, so I’ll just pull a few out of the top of my head and make with the funnies.

Jusa Nutter and I do need to get together and record "Punk Rock Tunes of the 1980s Arranged for Banjo and Fiddle", that would be classic.

I do need to go on a Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas type road trip with Miss L and Reverend, I’m just not sure who is Hunter S Thompson and who is the Samoan lawyer.

Dance lessons from Mr. C would be a blast.

To sit in a session with Llig and snicker conspiratorially? Great fun.

I’d like to sit in a session with The Silver Spear and airport, along with Atahualpa Quigley. We’d sit thusly: piper, fiddler, piper, fiddler. The intellectual crack level would be mighty, not to mention the nonsense and innuendo.

I’d like to finally hear zippy play the box and tell him that he sounds better than he thinks he does, because I’m sure he does.

Jimmy B’s such a earnest beginner, it’d be a pleasure to meet him. Let’s see, bogman, djf for writing O’Boobigan’s, anyone remember wolfbird? I wonder how the swami himself is.

I’d like to go to a session in a shady part of town with dow, to listen to his playing all night and then be safe with his martial skills as we leave the joint. HIYA! Karate chop!

Even if you’re a jerk, I’d still like to meet you. If you’ re not a jerk, I’d like to meet you even more!

Much love to all the mustard brothers and sisters! GROUP HUG! [gag]

(I’ve really got to switch to decaf after the first two or three cups in the morning. Whew.)

showaddydadito - "does it matter whether a contributor to this site plays Irish Traditional Music?"

Wow, hold up, rewind. You mean there are some sick freaks who come here and DON’T play this music?

I retract the group hug thing, that’s just creepy. What’s wrong with you people? I mean, we’re all musicians, we have excuses for such behavior. Sheesh.

Slainte - Your thesession.org-worldiness is both enviable and awe-inspiring, I’ve met quite a few thesession.orgers - probably more than I could count on the digits of my hands and feet - but mostly by chance, or by virtue of the fact that it’s hard to find anyone in a session these days who *isn’t* a member.

I really like how you can play tunes and tune into this site at the same time,…drinks permitting. We even broadcast the music worldwide! You’ll have to listen in and learn…words and music, not meeting in person anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ_owVcveVg

Don’t miss it. Tues, Thurs, Sat. 9pm Aust East Summer time
www.agedcareradio.com.au
Session next week will address your kind concerns.
Cheers
dd

I play sessions regularly with a few members and will resist mentioning them here but they’re great and I’m glad I know them.The member I would most like to meet is SWFL Fiddler for his sense of humour and wicked attitude :>

Aw shucks calico. Group hug is back on! WOO HOO!

Careful DD, us Yanks are coming to steal all your Fenians away…

Will we be patted down at the door for metal spoons?

Will.

To see if he walks, talks and dresses like Randolph Scott/james Stewart or just posts like them.

The Tao of Dow

Swiffle, I believe there is a point of diminishing returns between martial arts skills & the amount of alcohol consumed. Cheers to you Dr. Mark!

Posted by .

Saddle up, pardner, tarn’t room enough in this here town for the two of us….

I just love how so many people east of the Atlantic think Americans really are all cowboys (or Indians) and walk and talk like John Wayne…..

Bliss sent me a keepsake photo of himself the other day, and I’ve framed it over my hearth: http://shopping.hobidas.com/image-resources/far-east/GOODS/CHARACTERS/TROLL/TROLL-BANK-GR1.jpg

Posted .

too many to mention - everyone in this thread, and Michael Gill so I can stop imagining he sounds like Darrell Hammond’s impression of Sean Connery. And Swiffle - I’m looking forward to the Central Florida Fiddle Festival next winter…

SOUTH FL Fiddle Festival!

I wouldn’t have thought he did, airport … I mean, he’s not Scottish, is he?

Posted by .

Michael comes from somewhere in England I believe, but he’s probably been in Scotland long enough to pick up some sort of accent, if only a hint.

IIRC llig is a Llancashire man who spent time in Yorkshire. Could explain more than a hint of his ‘debating’ style.

@ SWFLfiddler: "Careful DD, us Yanks are coming to steal all your Fenians away…"

Ah, swivvle, ain’t it just a great oz song, yeah! But - notice ye, mate, the yanks didn’t conquer the prison - they only escaped from it. It was left up to the auzzies to do the slow dropkick back to England. No war, just a talk, a few beers, and a here’s yer ticket!

And to answer the question, at the moment I am most likely to be propping up the bar trying make each pint last as many tunes as possible. So if you go to the bar and someone says "Hi, are you xxx from the session.org" it may be me.

Thank you, SWFL. Likewise, I’m sure.

A Lancashire lad will be erudite and knowlegeable. A Lancashire lad who has had to spend time in Yorkshire will be these things but will have lost a degree of warmth. Naturally, I speak as a Lancashire lad.

‘appen

Anybody who actually gets down this end of the planet.

What I was meaning Steve is that there is a directness of speech to which we natives of those counties are accumstomed that in Yorkshire is often combined with brevity.

Eyup cock

I would like to meed Miss L. because everytime I hear an odd tune that I like and search here the name Miss L. pops up but with a different version from a different artist than the one that I was listening to.

"You mean there are some sick freaks who come here and DON’T play this music?"
Well, some of us like to play other types of music and some of us don’t have regular opportunities to indulge ourselves by playing Irish music and then there are some of us who used to be so unenlightened that we didn’t even know there were such things as Irish Sessions.

Of course, I am so crazy that if someone called me a "sick freak", I would tell them "Thank You" with a big smile on my face as if they had just paid me a really nice compliment.

Ivory tinkling faux celts from Arkansas are exempt! 😉

I say a Florida session.org fest in Winter is a brilliant idea. I see a mighty carpool crossing the country. airport can swing down the coast and pick up Mr. AQ, then they can stop by the desert and pick up Jusa Nutter, head north to grab Reverend and Miss L, cross the Mississippi to grab fauxcelt and then it’s smooth sailing down here where the beach, tunes and drinks await. [hiccup]

Somewhere along the way through this daydream, I’d like to make a stop at a hopelessly distant old jail/museum and help serenade a mannequin. You can go anywhere in a daydream, ya know.

That jail/gaol is far enough away from here, that a visit to see bb’s kids would be practicable. I vote we abscond with them, while deputing Jusa Nutter to stay behind in the cot, changeling fashion.

Hey, I’m all about music in creepy old dusty places and other eccentricities, but let’s just wait a second.

I need Jusa Nutter here, not left behind. Who is going to help me play this "TV Party / Damaged / Wasted" medley on fiddle and banjo?

I mean, if it was a goth medley, say Sisters of Mercy and Bauhaus, then Reverend could handle the banjo duties no problem.

😛

There’s always the trip home. It’s my guess, but all of us passengers in that car wouldn’t be speaking to each other by the tme we re-crossed the Mississippi, anyway. Jusa Nutter might call himself blessed to have to bail early on this one.

We could ask him, before hand, sort of, like. Also, I vote to kidnap the mannequin — changeling fashion — if we get to the jail. Jusa, what are your feelings about jails out in the Australian desert?

OK, I’ve got the solution. We pick an abandoned jail in the middle of the country and congregate there. Plus, it will have the perfect ambiance for the banjo/fiddle goth duet. The kidnapped mannequin can play the bodhran.

sounds great - where can I rent one of those clown cars?

A mannequin playing the bodhran. Finally, a bodhran player everyone can enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for exempting me SWFL Fiddler but I must remind you that most piano keys have been made out of really hard plastic for many years instead of ivory because elephants are supposed to be an endangered species. As a result, most piano players "tinkle the plastics" now instead of ivories.

Since I have a mini-van, I might be able to provide transportation for someones besides myself. We could even tie the mannequin (and the bodhran) on top of my vehicle.

…and the proper riding seat for a bodhran player, too! Well done.

Someone HAS to pick up Mr. AlBrown too. New England side trip!

Actually I think it is "tickle the ivories" instead of tinkle. I thought "tinkle" was supposed to be a euphemism for getting rid of liquid human waste products. However, if the piano keys are sticking, I supposed you could "tinkle" on them for lubrication purposes to loosen them but it wouldn’t smell very appealing.