Johnny Doherty videos on Youtube

Johnny Doherty videos on Youtube

I’ve just uploaded a 40 minute Ulster TV documentary (1972) about the great Donegal fiddler Johnny Doherty. It’s broken into 5 parts and seems to run OK.

"Fiddler on the Road"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiehZZ2tXKg

This is my first upload to youtube, so I’d appreciate any advice on extra info I should include, or keywords that might make them easier to find.

I have a bit more video of Johnny Doherty which I’ll put up sometime - sooner if there’s interest in this lot.

Re: Johnny Doherty videos on Youtube

This looks fantastic, I’m going to watch it tomorrow. Way past me bedtime now!! Thanks

Brilliant, I am looking forward to all of this, many thanks.

The best word for the video that comes to mind is spellbinding. I was fortunate in October to meet his nephew, Mick Doherty, who is living in Perth, Western Australia, and at age 86 plays fiddle with the same energy that is shown in the video of his more famous uncle. We shared a memorable afternoon with Rob Stafford and Mick "banjo" O’Connor. If you can believe it the elder Mick had more stories than "young" Mick.
Many thanks Martin, to those of us living so far away from the home of the music these sorts of history lessons are priceless.

Great stuff. It brings back memories for me of wandering around Ireland in those days. Hard not to be nostalgic about it.
Thanks so much for that

That’s wonderful, Martin_BC. Thank you for sharing it.

Well done Martin - thats great stuff. Has Mick seen it yet?

A pleasure reading all your responses. Tony - I’m in Perth myself, and I’m glad you heard Mick Doherty when you were here. I reckon I can hear the connection between his playing and Johnny’s as well. Rob Stafford is a mate, and we’ve spent much time talking about Mick and his music, and the huge and somewhat unknown talent of Johnny Doherty. Mick’s dad and another uncle (Hughie and Simey I think) were also known as great fiddlers, but very shy, and I’m told the granddad (Mick) was the master of all.

I’ll set about getting the other bits I have onto youtube. I can’t see anyone complaining about copyright at this stage, but you never know…

>>Donough - I assumed he had, as I got these in DVD form from Rob. I’ll ask him when I see him!

Thanks for sharing this, it’s a wonderful snapshot of those times.

Posted by .

Thanks for that, Martin (and thanks youTube, too!). A real gem.

Absolutely.

Brilliant, thanks a lot Martin for putting this up. I’m watching it now. Great quality - I’m put it onto my iPhone this evening. What a great musician Johnny was

Thanks Martin, appreciated…

Thanks for this, but I can’t seem to find part 5 - any advice ??

Posted by .

Thanks from me as well, Martin. I’d heard of this and never expected to be able to see it.

Who are the fiddlers he’s playing with in Pt 1?

Oh my god - Brilliant, Martin.

Thanks for posting this.

Can Jeremy institute some sort of award, for great contributions by members?

Knight Of The Mustard, or something?

First nominee might be for this.

Posted by .

Thank you greatly Martin. I saw this film in about 1981, in Australia as it happens, where it was shown at a festival,the National maybe, can’t remember. I’ve longed to see it again ever since. Good man yerself!

Thanks Martin. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Posted by .

That’s marvellous. Thank you very much. (For part 5 click on the ‘more from’ arrow. It’s in there).

Posted by .

Thanks very much. I saw Johnny Doherty in Carrick way back in the early 70’s when I was young and travelling around. We were in awe of him then and still are.

Fantastic stuff! Thank you!

Tried to put this comment in but would not work — just check your setting’s for excepting comments etc,,,, jim,,

COMMENT =

Thanks for this, Great work
A must watch, Thank’s
jim

Most delightful!!!!
Watching that just made my day : )

You made my day! Thanks!

Just found this thread - I’ll definitely watch this when I get the chance. Thank you, Martin.

Couldn’t resist watching the first few minutes before bed - this is going to be a real gem.

"Who are the fiddlers he’s playing with in Pt 1?" One is John "The Tae" Gallagher, who is still alive but sadly unable to play the fiddle any more. John is also sitting on Johnny Doherty’s right in the pub in section 3.

Posted by .

Allow me to add my thanks also Martin.

It’s brilliant that so many people are excited about seeing this. Johnny’s nephew Mick will probably be quite chuffed to hear about it as well.

You’re all very kind with your thanks, so I have to say I was just lucky enough to be handed a copy of the DVD containing this docco and a couple of other bits. I did precious little else, so thanks for your thanks!

>>jim/FIDDLE4U - I thought there might be a problem with the comments. I’ve checked all of them and it looks right. Everything’s allowed, changes saved etc. Is there anything else I should check? These are the first vids I’ve uploaded so I have no clue. All advice gratefully accepted!

-Martin

Sheer delight - thanks Martin. Up Donegal!

Nice surprise to see the step dancers up on the stage with Johnny Doherty in the 4th part - not a sequin in sight 🙂

More Johnny Doherty on Youtube

Uploading "Fiddler on the Road" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiehZZ2tXKg) attracted such positive comments that I’ve put up another short bit of film featuring the great John Doherty.

The sound and film quality are very poor, but to my ears the playing is exceptional. If anyone can suggest the best software tools to clean up the audio a bit, I might have a go at that.

The film is about 15 minutes long and I’ve broken it into 2 parts - Part 1 at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlT3CmtKTqo and Part 2 at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh6B6rvMy5c

-Martin

Re: More Johnny Doherty on Youtube

I reckon that was one of the several films of Johnny Doherty recorded by Peter Kennedy. It’s certainly his voice asking Johnny questions from time to time during the video.

Where did you get it, Martin?

I got both of these from Rob Stafford and Mick Doherty (Johnny’s nephew) who were given them by someone at the 2009 National Folk Festival in Canberra (Australia). I’ll try to find out more.

Can you tell me more about Peter Kennedy’s involvement with the Dohertys? I know he recorded some of Johnny’s brothers as well. I never realized there was any film made.

I’m hoping to soon put up some very recent video of Mick Doherty playing with Rob here in Western Australia. Mick is 86 now, and not too well, but when he hits his stride the music is hair-raising, and very reminiscent of Johnny’s style.

Again these are class thanks for uploading them, that’s some fiddling!

The great Johnny Doherty plays Peter Kennedy’s fiddle while Pete Seeger interviews and accompanies some of the items on 5-string banjo. Recorded by PK they were filmed by Toshi, Pete’s wife, in a downpour rainstorm in a motor-caravan at Carrick, Co Donegal (B&W 1964/ 15 mins)- Hear the CDs FTX-073, 075 & 273.

1. Beginning

2. "The Star Hornpipe"

3. Jig: "The Irish Washerwoman"

4. Reel: "The Yellow Heifer" (or "Paddy on the Turnpike")

5. Song Air: "Easter Snow"

6. Descriptive: "The Fox Chase"

7. Jig: "The Connaughtman’s Rambles"

The above given, cut-and-paste, just in case the link ever disappears…

Wonderful stuff Martin, thanks again & thanks ceolachan for the info. I wonder if Kennedey or Toshi Seeger have more film material from this period. Prehaps they filmed Felix Doran, Michael Gorman & Margret Barry in England at the Keele Folk Festival in ‘65

thaksStrayaway - I couldn’t find no5 then but now it comes up straight away - anyway, what a great set of recordings - thanks for that Martin

Posted by .

I half remember a story about this, possibly told to me by a friend in Donegal. The gist was that Kennedy and Seeger rolled up in the caravan without advance warning. Johnny was actually in bed with a severe cold or flu. Such was the innate politeness of the man that he arose from his sick bed, walked across some fields (presumably in that rainstorm) to where the caravan had stopped, and played for the visitors. Can anyone else confirm the accuracy of this? If not I will check with my friend the next time I’m in Donegal.

Posted by .

MORE?!? But I just finished watching the other ones! 😉

Great stuff Martin, thank you!

This was wonderful, just fantastic, thanks Martin.

Once again, thank you. This is greatly appreciated.

Posted by .

Just great. Again, much thanks!

Well Martin, I’d say you get grand prize for best thread ever posted. Well done. Well done. "Barkeep, pour that Martin fellow whatever pleases him."

Bloody hell - now I’m just embarrassed by too many thanks! If I locate the person who actually preserved these, I’ll pass on your kind thoughts.

I’m away from the computer a lot this week, but I have another much more recent documentary (BBC NI - Musical Traditions) about the South Donegal fiddle tradition which I’ll try to post on youtube tonight. Doesn’t have the immediacy of the other two, but many may have not seen it.

Cheers to all!

Also - great stuff ceolachan and deeor - I’ll put that info with the vids on youtube later on today. It really adds to the viewing I reckon,

Enjoyed them all. Thanks Martin. The background stuff too is as good as the music….puts it all in perspective for those of us who weren’t part of any of that time and place.