Where are you?

Where are you?

I’m sitting in a computer room, at the college where I teach, waiting for students to turn up for their progress report appointments (the ones I am waiting for will get comments about their time management!!) and I got to thinking where all the other sessioneers post their comment from. Home? Office? Laboratory? Prison? Psychiatric care facility?

Are you pretending to be working with your screen turned slightly away from the boss’s view?

What can you see out of your window? (at the moment all I can see outside is Fog…Autumn has finally arrived in the UK)

Let’s paint a picture of where we are (and probably get jealous of the Sydney Chapter and their views of the harbour).

Got to go …..a student has turned up

Re: Where are you?

I’m slumped over my keyboard at work, drugged up with really good painkillers (had 3 wisdom teeth out at the weekend, face swollen up like a pumpkin).

My desk is on one side of a very blue studio officespace - it feels like we’re underwater, on a coral reef or something… on the telly reruns of the British Pop Idols are playing… local soapies to follow - fortunately I am wearing headphones and have been listening to Lunasa, Flook and Firebrand all morning, so am spared the full force of such banality.

Also on my desk is a notepad filled with scribbled figures and sums - an account of my mathematical battles with the economics of flute-buying.

Out the window I can see a corner of Table Mountain, clouds are billowing over the top, wind’s howling though and a sirened police car just sped past the building.

Posted by .

In a wee back-office in a college of English for Chinese students. The office used to be a bathroom complete with frosted glass panes.
Thinking of doing a Sino-Irish bathroom session.
Mr. Beijingles? Yuck

just returned from dental surgery, my face all swollen as well ๐Ÿ™‚ In Glasgow after while is once more dull wett chilly gloomy day and the living room, where my computer is, is dark like at five o’clock afternoon. i have just big dilemma if to feel sorry for my self, stay at home and not to go to college, or if should i be brave girl and go…..hmmmm…..ach well….probably brave girl

Posted by .

"Are you pretending to be working with your screen turned slightly away from the boss’s view?" - No - I am the boss. Get back to work you lot!

Unlike other respondents so far I have no dental problems at the moment, but spent all last week on desperately strong painkillers and sedatives to cope with a spine injury from a mis-spent youth which involved falling off things, and being run over and blown up quite a lot too. Today I am off the drugs and the world is back in colour again.

My windows look over the River Bollin and the railway into the bustling heart of Macclesfield, which is the centre of the known universe. I have no students to pester me, but I have customers instead. Despite the popular saying, the customer is in fact frequently wrong.

Odd as it seems to many people, I love where I live, I have never had any urge to travel abroad, and have no jealousy regarding views of Sydney Harbour.

My mind is filled with images of Joe’s Sino-Irish bathroom session.

I think I once saw a website about that sort of thing.

Dave

Yep - It’s the Psychiatric care facility for me …..

….well, not exactly….the Institute of Psychiatry in Denmark Hill, to be precise. It’s the academic branch of the Maudsley Hospital (which IS a Bin), but it’s also a college within King’s College London. My job is to look after some labs and some fancy microscopes, so I need some desk space and a PC to help me. I end up checking out this site when I sit down for a coffee, or when I’m about to do work-related websearch, so I’m not sure it does really help me perform optimally! I also log on from home, usually once the weans have gone to bed.

I used to have to go through the Maudsley to get to the Electron Microscope lab, where I did some work. I made the mistake, a few times, of wearing my white lab coat while wandering through….silly thing to do. Almost inevitably some very "ill" person would accost me with some bizarre question or request. The first time I thought "Why me?" but the next time I realised…The Man in the White Coat…not a mistake to be repeated, except through forgetfullness.
The IOP is not a bad place to hang out during the day. I used to do flute and box practice in the main lecture theatre, but I’m out of the habit of that. The nearby areas of Camberwell and Peckham are fairly horrid in parts - Peckham is where that wee 10 year old boy Damilola Taylor was stabbed to death a couple of years ago. Camberwell is the area with the highest rates of psychiatric care in the UK — I haven’t worked out whether that’s a cause or effect of its proximity to the Maudsley — it’s a very mixed area, containing some very grand Georgian and Regency period residencies but also loads of vile housing estates of obvious social deprivation. Looking the other way (South) is Herne Hill, Dulwich and East Dulwich, blessed with spectacular parkland, and which are the areas I choose to run round when I can get out for a run at lunchtimes. Like where you are, Geoff, the weather here is mournfully misty, but that reminds me of home so I don’t mind it too much.

Danny.

Free Bodhran lesson to the person who can submit the best "Pseudo-Michael-Gill-Answer" to this thread!

Second prize - two bodhran lessons!

Michael - perhaps you would be kind enough to judge the competition for us and give your decision in a couple of days.

cheers
Dave

"This is tipical of you lot. Where are you? Who cares? Why can’t you choose a topic that has something to do with the music, then at least it would proove that you have an ounse of inteligense".

No, seriously, I’m in a youth hostel in Naha, Okinawa, Japan - price is rock bottom at Y1000 a night, and you get what you pay for. The window in this room is broken and the view is of the road outside. There are tatami mats on the floor and ashtrays full to the brim with month-old cigarette butts. There’s a bookshelf with some books on and an old guitar leaning against the wall. It’s tuned DAGDAD because I was messing around on it this afternoon trying to learn one of Tony McManus’ tunes. The hostel is a rickety wooden building about 50 years old with slidey shutters for windows. There are huge mosquitos buzzing around the whole time so all the bunk beds have white mosquito nets attached from above. The other people in the hostel are all a bit hippyish and wear floaty clothes, tattoos and dreadlocks, and they’re all very nice. Most of them play instruments too, but of the didgeridoo/djembe kind - it’s not trad, but at least it’s something!

I think Dow has won!

At my desk in the graphic studio, pretending to be busy designing new labels and salesfolder for baby food, ice cream, mineral water,… but secretly looking at the session discussions now and then as well as organising a nice session for next weekend. Karen will you come?
The big boss is not in the same room so he does not disturb me and anyone else is not in the position to control me. Good.
What do I see? Well, the sun is shining, blue sky, no clouds (but freezing cold). There is ice on the cars in the morning and riding my bicycle is getting painful. The view here is not interesting. Just buildings - though we are not far from the nice city centre of Nuernberg, Germany. My plan for tonight is learning the lovely tunes "Humours of Bally Manus/Gortnamona" from Siobhan Peoples’ "Time on our Hands"

Sabine

…and I am glad, I am not in Naha, Okinawa, Japan.

Sitting at my desk, no longer in the lab (hospital, research, yawn!), since I was given office space (yeah!), but now I can’t see all the photos of friends and family blown up to A4 size and decorating the corner of the lab where the computer used to be (booh!), only one photo of my youngest niece and one of Sammy the common seal. I have to look over my right shoulder to see the mist/fog over London and the new penthouse flats (I’m ten floors up) in what it pleases certain folk to call ‘Paddington Basin’.

No pretence necessary, since I’m on a lunch break, soon to be interrupted by an argument (sorry lab meeting) postponed from yesterday.

All this talk of bathrooms reminds me of an academic scientist who used to work at St Georges Hospital, Tooting, who I met soon after he removed to Aberdeen (I think). His new office had views over a quadrangle, and the windows opposite included those of the gents’ toilets. Every lunch hour, at the same time, the same gent (precise identity protected by the frosted glass) came into the toilets, stood by the window, and put what appeared to be a condom over his head, stood there for a wee while, then removed it and went about his business …..

Took early retirement sometime ago - although it appears I’m now entitled to a bus pass ๐Ÿ™‚ - so that says it all, really. Got a pc in my study, or "den" as my wife calls it, which is too small for music playing so I do that in one of the ground floor rooms.
My wife works in a psychiatric hospital a few miles outside Bristol, and my daughter is a nurse in a cardiac ward in a hospital in Leuven, so I get regaled with accounts of the crazy things that happen in hospitals. Btw, in some respects hospitals in Belgium are quite capable of having problems like NHS hospitals in the UK.
Trevor

C’mon Dow …

Surely the correct answer to where are you would be …

"Up your own … (oh never mind, just thinking about cynicism gives me the heebiegeebies) …!"

lunch break is over but I

sitting at my desk in an office near Stratford On Avon. Slightly misty outside. We have a lady who comes round once a week and polishes the plants.(?) I think that’ll be my next career move - roll on 5:30. I sit right in the middle of the office so have to run my browser through Microsoft Outlook and pretend I’m answering emails when I’m surfing…

Posted by .

When I worked as a gardener at the City Council Nursery in Perth, Western Australia, one of my jobs (if I couldn’t get away fast enough) was to polish the plants…a soft cloth, some white oil and the Ficus Benjaminae leaves never looked better.
We had a guy there who had a triangular head like a Gaboon Viper (his nickname was snake) who used to hang from the bars in the shade house and do the most authentic Gibbon impressions this side of the Amazon rain forest, whilst brachiating along the horizontal frame bars. An amazing specatacle.
He later got depressed, as he could never quite resolve the conflict betwee the reptilian and mammalian sides of his character, and would be seen alternately slithering and swinging through the streets of Perth prior to his inevitable arrest.
Happy days!

I am at home in our computer/stereo room. I have no access to a computer at work. (I work retail in the vitamins and body care section of an idependantly owned health food store/cafe).

From my vantage point, looking out of the window, I can see the pretty houses in my neighborhood (Ardmore, PA USA). Mostly the kind about 75 years or so old with front porches, and made of brick. There are lots of trees, some still with autumn color, many others now naked of their leaves. There is also a large coniferous tree of some type right outside my window. I can also see the roof tops of the two gargages out back, one of which is my landlord’s work space.

If I turn around I can see our futon on a frame which is actually our couch. It is covered in pillows that our friends made for us. They are kind of satiny with Indian motifs of elephants and such. Our cat ate the tassels off of them ages ago.

As far as dental stuff goes, I do have an appoitment for a check up on Thursday…

Posted by .

I’m sitting at home, at my desk or in the sofa in front of the TV paying more attention to my computer than anything. All the time wishing that I was sitting at some lousy job instead, since being unemployed and out of money isn’t exactly my dream. But I do get a lot of time for playing. Too bad none of my musician friends have time to join me… :-|

Posted by .

Looking out at my two goats, Peony and Primrose, the former who tries to beat the side of the car off whenever she sees her reflection in it. Have to keep the car dirty. To my right is eight cords of wood partially split and snow will be here soon, my left is the studio where I just finished the "Last Supper Dance" twenty four foot by ten foot tall, my wifes studio is above mine. Am fretting over a student whom I angered yesterday when I pursued the Q "why are you at art school anyway". When I speak of passion she gives me a blank stare. Ay Ay yi yi yi. You would think I am old enough that this stuff would roll off me.

Sunny and cool

I’m sitting in my bedroom, at my computer. All around me are various instruments, CDs and drawings. (My brother is an artist; I am a musician. Between his creations, and my instruments, my surroundings are somewhat cluttered. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Max

*snicker* You lot are vicious, aren’t you? LOL — I meant Mark, Geoff and Dave, of course. Will write more in a bit, must dash out into a windy, cold and lovely day to trip up to the mountains to the small mountain town of Lyons, to visit Jerry Gehringer and try to talk him into making this tiara for this solo dress for Oireachtas for me…out of the hole (my basement workshop) and into the air!

Zina

Sitting in my study under a copy of Francis Bacon’s ‘Three Studies for Figures at the Base of a Crucifixion’ trying to get psyched up to write an essay on neo-liberalism and its impact on development work. Have so far failed to make contact with the Muse so am going to download a tune, go for a run, and put matters off until after dinner. Failing that I shall resort to plan B and commence drinking heavily.

I’m at home as well, with a sore belly from laughing so hard at Dow’s post, & wishing my blackwood flute was back from her overhaul….

Although I complain about Arizona, one of the best things about my huge house is my huge yard, or actually, all 3 of them. There’s a large yard out front by the garage that you can close with a tall wooden gate but I have it propped open with a large stone Buddha b/c of the high winds. Then there’s a huge open swath of red dirt around the side of my house, which wraps around the back into a privacy yard which can be closed off. It also has a patio & sliding glass doors which I can see now. I had moved my dining set outside during the summer so I could eat outdoors near the grill, now it’s so dusty, I think I’ll just leave it outside for the winter! But outside the window closest to where I’m typing I’m looking at the sad garden my mom & planted together, which never grew. The hard packed sandy red earth here is not amenable to much growing, though I do have 2 giant trees in my yard which are shedding leaves at a rapid pace. So in the garden, I have 5 or 6 brightly colored plastic flowers wedged in between the weeds. The reason I love the yard though is it’s so great for the dogs, in terms of spaciousness & not caring if they dig holes. Anyway, it’s normally brilliant blue skies here, but today it’s chilly & overcast, a nice break!

I’m at home, in my own psychiatric ward/upstairs office—an old oak government-issue desk buried in papers and whistles and flutes, a really comfortable high-back leather chair, too many books, and a variety of maps and aerial views of the American West (and a really detailed map of Ireland by the door). I’m my own boss, and none of my clients has ever been in my office, let alone looked over my shoulder to see what I was posting here when I should’ve been working.

My window faces north, and I look out on a 100-foot tall blue spruce tree, a lilac hedge, and russian olives that feed the squirrels and waxwings in the foreground, then the back lawns of my neighbors, and off in the distance, the pine-covered Scratchgravel Hills and some low mountains that rim the Helena Valley. There’s fresh snow on them today, and wind gusts blasting through the trees close in, knocking the last leaves off the neighbor’s maple trees. Except for the wind (and the three o’clock train), it’s quiet. Just waiting for the nurse to come with my meds…..

Posted .

I’m at work, in a newspaper office. I’m in the annex, a sterile former savings-and-loan building built in the ’60s and cobbled together with the older main building. Big windows, not very interesting view: plain buildings, only a nice neo-gothic church bell tower you can catch a glimpse of, but we can see the sunset, of which Texas has many glorious ones. It’s partly cloudy and warm, a nice break from several days of rain here in Fort Worth. Somebody is vacuuming in the credit union separated from us only by thin walls. At least we have a fountain burbling away, and most of the fluorescent lights are turned off, with just some incandescent lamps for working and atmosphere. There are the remains of a rum cake that our classical music critic baked and brought in to be photographed for his "Baking With the Critic" column (really). Yesterday afternoon was pretty mellow.

Our word-processing program just crashed, so I don’t feel guilty about joining thesession. I have some page proofs to read, but nothing urgent —- just our weekend entertainment section. I’m awaiting final page proofs of tomorrow’s food section while most of the rest of the features staff is testing board games for a Christmas toy story (boo-hoo, I don’t get to play because of food section deadlines! Poor me!). Oh, well, I’ll go to the library after a while and check out DVDs and CDs.

If I were at home, I’d either be on the sofa with the laptop or at the desk in my office/music room, both of which offer spectacular views of the lake just across the road. It’s wooded and serene, a perfect place for a session (round-the-world traveling session, from "A butterfly fluttered its wings" thread, anybody?) If we didn’t bang the bodhran too loud, we might see deer, coyote or fox (OK, these aren’t everyday sightings.)

Carol

Sorry about the abrupt ending to my post. The boss just came by to see about getting back onto the word-processing system. I was able to reboot, so it’s back to work!

Carol

I’ve got a nice room to myself where I am supposed to prepare my lessons. My PC desk is placed in front of the window so I can look out into our garden. I see some tall trees, a few houses behind them and a bit of lawn. I can watch the rabbits hobbling about under the bushes. They don’t seem to mind people very much. There’s a cute black one there.

Posted by .

My office is located in the research dept. of the eye institute with medical college here, am a geek goddess and various other labels associated with desktop publishing. I do a lot of scanning and video editing of really hideous images for the faculty and staff. When scanning, I try to log on here just to remind myself there is more than what I

I’m sat in my front room listening to Clare FM Claire Keville’s "Music in the Glen" 7-9pm and bashing my keyboard in time to the music.

Right, well, it’s windy as hell in Colorado right now, but that means the skies are bright blue with the sun shining and the white fluffly clouds scudding overhead. I barrelled back from Lyons with John Williams blasting out the speakers and sang Jug of Punch along with him at 65 mph (10 over the speed limit, bad girl, no biscuit), thinking of all the work to be done here.

Sitting in my workshop, about to put my real computer back together, as jerry’s junker is currently using my monitor and mouse trying to figure out why it’s such a loser box. (I’m working on my laptop in the nonce.)

It’s a basement workshop, long and narrow with oak cabinets and grey laminate on top, my embroidery machine and serger on the counter, with my glass and silver desk in the corner. Tall and not so tall storage units sitting along the wall, sliding across the wood laminate flooring on black casters. It’s a mess. I still have to put up shelves, arrange all the storage right, get stuff off the counter so the ironing station doesn’t glop over into the serging station, a pain when serging the skirt and having to keep the skirt off the iron, so the cordless iron is perched on top of two plastic bins at the moment.

16 team dresses and a solo down, 4 more teams and a solo left to go for Oireachtas! We’re Western Region. If anyone will be there, look for the green, white, and gold teams — those’re the ones I’ve been working on.

*sigh* back to work…

At my desk in my sleeping chamber…, no my office… aw, I mean, my family’s TV room - actually, they all are one and the same place. Warsaw, Poland, lovely day, winter’s coming, my cosy little street is totally covered with gold leaves, huge naked trees towering all around the quarter, people are walking slowly from time to time, and my dog is having his day, barking at anything that moves (including leaves - thankfully, there’s no wind). We’re having an Independence Day and working today is extremely difficult - everyone’s bored out of their minds, and either come to watch the telly, or to pester me. The room is quite big and white, uncomfortably furnished, littered with books, family members and pieces of clothing, a guitar in the corner, a big, black accordion in another one, balalaika on the shelf, tin whistles and a recorder on the desk and a cat on my knees - HOW the hell am I supposed to concentrate ?!?!

I’m thinking, as always, about having a good session (it’s like "junkie syndrome", or whatever they call it in English), at the moment doing a desperate research on the differences between UK and Polish patent law. Hoplessness, they call it.

Seriously, I’m very attached to my family.

Sitting in an office in Fairbanks, Alaska, not even pretending to work right now because the boss is in the hospital today. This is where I do all my lurking from since I don’t have a computer at home. (Who has time for one with so many tunes to learn?) Which is also why I mostly just lurk. I don’t feel bad about reading for a few minutes inbetween phone calls sometimes.

The sun is out and shining brightly off the snow we’ve (finally) gotten the last few days. I’m really enjoying the sun but the clear sky means the temperature is supposed to drop a lot in the next couple of days. I guess I’ll just have to stay home and practice. ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted .

I’m sitting under downtown San Diego in the early 1900s…well, a model of it anyway. I’m at home at my computer, which happens to be under my dads train table (yes, I do bonk my head from time to time). His current layout is, as I said, of old downtown San Deigo. Because one of his other hobbies is studying California history and art is his "day job" the model is remarkably detailed and acurate.

I’m completely surrounded by clutter, old buildings from my dad’s previous layout (Mamoth Lakes and Bodie), spare track, piles of books on history, trains, and modeling, old artwork, tools, boxes labled as one thing that actually hold something else altogether, bottles of who-knows-what, and piles of things that only my dad could identify. There’s a drawing board to my left and a light table to my right, neither of which have more than 2 square inches of blank surface area, and ofcourse there’s my own pile of stuff; papers, my notebook, and a couple of books all having to do with the paper I’m supposed to be writing for my music history class…eh, I’ll get to it eventually. I have all day.

It’s Veteran’s Day so all classes are cancled, otherwise I’d be in my least favorite class right now. Yay for national holidays!

That should (Mammoth Lakes and Bodie). Sorry.

Excellent thread, Geoff!

Yep, it’s great to hear from so many lurkers and from so many different spots on the globe. It helps to sorta put a "face" or at least a place on the screen names.

Posted .

i’m sitting in front of my computer, in the main room of the attic i rent from a friend who owns this 1911 house in northeast portland, oregon.(for those of you in other parts of the world, portland is in the nw corner of the US, at the junction of the columbia & willamette rivers, about 50 miles from the pacific.)

on a tuesday, i’d usually be in a cubicle at the evil bank where i write boring security manuals, but today is a US bank holiday — and i actually remembered to take the day off. it’s been a beautiful day in portland so far, too. while it rained early this morning, now it’s partly sunny and about 50F/10C outside. the air is clear and, if you’re in the right spots, you can see four of the volcanoes in the cascade range.

around me are a ton of books, cds, and lps. there are piles of cds of mostly fiddle music strewn on the floor in front of my stereo, and a concertina box open on the couch in the cormer just behind my back. the fiddle is on the bed in the other room, but i’m being kind to the cat sleeping on the bed by not going in and practicing — even though i have a lesson in a few hours and (as usual) i’m not really prepared for it.

sarah

Me, I am sitting in the attic, which I recently refurbished and now use as partly home office and musical activities. It,s all white slanted ceilings, with beams in the roof sticking out. No windows on the way I am facing, (none were allowed), however on the other wall we have windows with a glimpse of the Oslo fjord when it is not dark, as it is now. My wife, Judy, is sitting on the other end of the room on her PC hooked onto the wireless LAN, working on her PHD at late nights, as she often is.

I have used the opportunity to go to the tuesday session after the rehearsel with my norwegian fiddle group, but I made an early exit because there were mainly guitar players and singers who had showed up today.

I am writing this on a mac on an opera browser, which for some reason removes all the open lines and makes an massive chunk of text

I was thinking about this thread last night, and I’ve decided that if I win the free bodhran lesson I’m going to donate it to charity on Michael’s behalf.

Yes? And whaaaaat charity are you thinking of, Mark?

I’m sitting at my desk and looking at thesession.org…. again. My desk is on a floor with about 100 other people but luckily the computer faces away from everybody else. If I look over my shoulder I can see the city (but no views of the harbour- which is unfortunate but what can you do?) My desk is very, very messy, When the State director comes up for a visit my supervisors and managers go into a state of high alert and make me clean my desk, its almost become routine now. Its also decorated with loads of pictures of overseas destinations so I can pretend I’m not here and I also have The Welsh flag hanging up and tickets to the Welsh match I went to the other week. Its an overcast day in sydney today - which is nice - kind of like a novelty, it was very hot yesterday - I dont like hot weather, 25 deg clear and sunny is just perfect - with low humidity of course! Its amazing to think that its snowing where Will is and getting freezing in the northern hemisphere when its just getting soo awfully hot and muggy here:(

Posted by .

Dow - I’m sure Michael will feel honoured. C’mon mick - describe something of the flavour of Northern Europe’s most beautiful city - Edinburgh.

Now the non-working me speaks. Sat in front of the home PC, have decked one beer, and it’s dark outside - so I don’t know if it’s still raining — oh yeah it’s stopped - I had to go out to the car to pick up some food containers for the wee boy, that’s how I know.
When it’s light, where my PC sits, allows me to look into our garden where we do see a remarkable diversity of urban fauna….there are cats, squirrells, foxes, woodpigeons, blue tits chaffinches as well as house and tree sparrows. We’re just 50 metres from the park here. It’s hard to believe we’re in Europe’s 2nd largest city (Moscow now being the largest). It also gives me a sweeping panoramic glorious vista of both of my……..
….sheds, one containing all my tools, all the way from screwdriver via skilsaw to power router. Plus also all(?) the stuff for oil painting, in which I dabble (amateurishly). The other shed has mostly materials, ie timber, stuff, and more stuff….then also some junk.
Right here in this dining room - a function which it *does*, not infrequently serve - lie dormant several instruments: high (as opposed to low) whistles in every key made, several species of flute, 4 accordians, bodhran, one, sometimes two, fiddles, and one upright piano, this being the almost exclusive preserve of one proud 12-year old daughter (I’m proud to say!). Upon the pink walls are adorned some framed Charles Rennie Mackintosh prints, some originals and some fambly photies. The stripped pine floor is home to numerous baby objects, including a travel cot, a walker thingy, and a box full of teddies, giant lego bricks and rattles. A stair gate I recently been installed, but he just swings against that. As well as the whistle, the wee guy is now onto the harmonica (oh yeah - forgot to mention them — 3 No., last inventory), but hasn’t quite got into sucking, just blowing.
Ther’s also the music system, and endless tapes and CD’s strewn around…just one corner, as my activities have been corralled, and rightly so!

Yep. that’s it!

Danny.

So…

I’m in a small prison cell after taking umbrage with someone who criticised my bodhr

The lurkers knew they were unlikely to get …… I can’t think of a word…. a word meaning basically the equivalent of friendly humiliation? on this thread. New thread- "Why I am a lurker."

Different river out the window- the James in Virginia, facing a rock cliff named Holcomb’s Rock. Unfortunately, my worst nightmare came true this week- the view of the rock now also includes the beginnings of someone’s idea of a country estate. Why do people move to the country to cut down the trees?

So I’m not looking out the window , because I get a very sick feeling . I started to describe the room I’m in, but it needs to be cleaned first.

Jennifer

Jennifer

Aww, poor Michael

Posted by .

I am in my workshop which is in my house, after a few hours repairing fiddles I have logged on to this site as I usually do.
My house is halfway between Clogheen and Newcastle in Co. Tipperary. The time is 01:19 and I am going to bed now,Goodnight.
Good Luck
Mike Allen

Posted by .

"The lurkers knew they were unlikely to get …… I can’t think of a word…. a word meaning basically the equivalent of friendly humiliation? on this thread."

A good slagging, that’s what you’re looking for Jennifer…or the word at least.

Posted .

Well Im working at a college here at Yokota Air Base in Tokyo Japan. Ive been in Japan for 10 years now, bought a house 1 year ago.
Im at work and just counting the minutes before I go to lunch. Books, books and more books. I work in the book dept. and I just got
a bunch of book returns dumped on my desk. Ahhhhhh
The weather here in Tokyo is getting colder and its been raining for a few days now. The sun is trying to come out.
I play the English Concertina and Ive been trying to meet people to play music with. In Tokyo there are a lot of Irish pubs with some folks
that get together for some sessions. Keep trying to go. But its hard when I have to take a crowded train 2 and 1/2 hours one way just to get
to the pub, only to have a few beers, then back on the train again. Hope to find some people closer. In any case, I just keep on a squeezing!

Judging the contest is easy—the prize goes to everyone who didn’t answer…

Hey, Geoff, look what I just found!

A JPEG paints a kiloword, so if you really want to know what I can see out the window, there are some pictures and Quicktime panoramas here:

http://www.gardenisland.info/1-05-000.html

I

Posted by .

I’m sitting in surgery in between patients-bit of a quiet day today-more time to sift through these threads-some great descriptions!
Looking forward to a few tunes this weekend,there’s a festival on quite near-might get a rack of tunes in amidst the bagpipes.
No real dramas today in primary care-so hopefully off home in an hour.
Cheers
Gerry

Sitting at my desk at the top of Collins street in Melbourne, so I have a pretty good view of the city (No, Sydney is not the only city in Australia ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s a lovely warm sunny day, and way too nice to be indoors ๐Ÿ™‚

Usually I do my posting from home, but I jsut thought I’d take a moment to have a sneak look at the session…. ๐Ÿ™‚

Sitting at my desk whistling Humours of Glendart to myself, looking out onto the River Aire outside leafy Leeds, West Yorkshire,UK. Its 11 degrees, foggy, raining and typical November and if that is not enough, 60mph gales are forcast for the end of the week.
My first jobs are always emails then The Session.

I’m retired now and log on from home. It’s an ideal chance to practice more and learn loads of new tunes when I’m not here being distracted ๐Ÿ™‚ —In the nicest posible way, of course.

John

Sat in my office at lunchtime on a bright, crisp, November day in West Dorset. The building I’m in dates back to 1215AD, which is the time King John instigated the Magna Carta in England.

My office is part of a converted stable block that used to house the horses that distributed the locally manufactured rope all over the country.

This morning, I’ve been watching the little blue Kingfisher that visits everyday, darting in and out of the river, although today his worked was rudely disturbed by the guys from the Environment Agency clearing excess weed!!

I’ve been humming a tune that is the first track on one of Karen Tweed’s albums - not the Watchmaker - the other one!!

Oh…….and I’ve also managed to do a bit of work too!!

Seated at the top of Slievemore, Achill Island, on a fine autumn’s day. Behind me the Iniskea Islands and the Blacksod pensinsula. Before me the Minaun cliffs and the vast expanse of sea that stretches down to Clare. Clare Island rises majestically out of Clew Bay and I can just make out the outline of Inishbofin, peering above the horizon.

The sea sparkles in the fine, white light.

A tune before I go …

Because the Island was the last place in Ireland, reputedly, to play host to the Golden Eagle, I strum a version of "The Eagle’s Whistle".

The phone rings. I emerge from my reverie to confront my cluttered, untidy office. 57 unread email messages in my inbox.

The miserable day-to-day reality of the wage-slave, eh?

shift+delete should sort your inbox out…

Posted by .

Shift+delete

Musing on the meatspace equivalent of shift+delete … lots of options I suppose … if I didn’t have wife and family (big IF, I know, and I’m lucky to have them) I often think I’d pack a couple of instruments and just disappear for a long while …

But there you go!

The less drastic e-mail solution, which I use from time to time is to whack on the out of office assistant and write words to the effect, "I’m a bit busy at the minute and I may or may not reply to your email in the short-term, medium-term or at all. If it’s a matter of life or death (mine, that is, not yours) phone me up. If not please go away and leave me alone. I’ve got enough stuff to deal with without your adding to my pile!" (Actually it reads … "I’m away from my desk a lot over the course of the next few days. If you have not received a reply to this email by DATE, please call me on PHONE NUMBER.")

Good Grief!

When I left work yesterday there were a few replies and today at last count 54!!! None from Monsieur Gill however…Michael where are you?

Thank you all for posting such vivid descriptions. I, and everyone else, now have a much better idea of where people are and can picture them as they post. So many new names as well.

I checked out your links Tish …. Sydney harbour has to be one of the best cityscape views in the world. You, bb and Dow are really lucky.
Aidan…I’m just learning The Eagle’s Whistle…great tune.

The sun was out in Henley this morning and I was watching a pair of goldcrests (UK’s smallest bird) fluttering around a Silver Birch outside my computer room window…unfortunately they disappeared before I could reach my shotgun….. JUST KIDDING! (although they can be vicious if they are hungry).

I’m in Cork City and the weather’s crap (as usual). I’m just back from walking my dog and getting pounded by a hailstone shower. I have a bit of a flu coming on so i’m going to sit down in front of my fire and watch Monday’s RAW BAR programme on video, and feel sorry for myself. The first two programmes were excellent so i’m looking forward to this episode. My wife watched it already and said that it featured Donal Lunny, Andy Irvine, Mick Moloney and more…
After that i’m going to make the dinner and like the goldcrests Geoff refers to above, my wife can be fairly vicious when hungry especially if i’m on the internet and forgot to take the now soaking clothes in from the clothes line!

Awwww. Take care of yourself, Celtic. How’s your wife’s fiddling coming along, it was you who gave her a fiddle, wasn’t it?

Thanks Zina,
she doing fine at it. She has’nt the time that i seem to make for my banjo, but she is very happy with herself. There’s a baby on the way so she will soon have her hands full (and me!). I was just reading Luska’s discussion on taking up music at 27, where he/she refers to people being born with tin whistles in their mouths etc. And i’m wondering ( as i’ve being duly informed that the baby would recognise it’s fathers voice once born ) will the baby be thinking now " will he ever get that bloody tune off, i’m sick to death of hearing it?"

Geoff I agree that the cityscape is beautiful here - sometimes I’d be out on Bull Island (dublin) learning to drive and looking out over Dublin Harbour thinking ‘wow - this has got to be the ugliest harbour in the whole world’!!! But on second thought maybe its only cause I was comparing it to Sydney harbour - (or not cause it really is hideous - especially that massive 70 style statue of Mary!) Luckily the rest of Dublin is lovely๐Ÿ™‚ But as I said before I dont have that view at work - I can just see buildings๐Ÿ™‚ Although I often go down to the Botanic Gardens which are on the harbour to hang out๐Ÿ™‚ Hows this for a photo! http://community.webshots.com/photo/78395277/78395499FBtMXX
ok - I’ll stop bragging now๐Ÿ™‚

Posted by .

It’s funny how different places affect you, though. The harbour is truly magnificent and being down here between Woolloomooloo Bay and Elizabeth Bay is wonderful. Him Indoors, to whom sailing means as much as music does to me, grew up with a sea view and reckons working here is really something to be treasured. But I grew up in semi-arid upper-middle tract river country (to be geographically accurate) and even after twenty years in Sydney and a few years’ sailing here, the harbour and the city skyline still seem a bit foreign to me - I’m quite happy here but I just don’t have salt water running in my veins and I wasn’t raised a city-dweller. And when I spent a few days in England I couldn’t cope with all the green - where I come from you’ll get a faint green flush on the hills for about a week after heavy rain (which is rare) and then it’s gone and everything’s pale brown again. Green is by definition ephemeral and I found England grass totally improbable and rather, umm, in-yer-face? livid? OTT? Can’t quite find the word. Him Indoors admitted recently that he never liked the area I came from, and it wasn’t till he spent some weeks living there with my father during a recent health care crisis that he learned to appreciate its own kind of beauty. (Yes!! I have run out of work again 8>)

Posted by .

Where is that Tish?

Posted by .

In the Tamworth area, on a lucerne farm on the Cockburn River near Kootingal.

Posted by .

At my temporary office on the harbour of Oslo. Unfortunately my first floor office window faces the six-laner, and not the fjord. The sun is about to come up (07:43), and work must commence. Tunes in my head right now : Johnny Doherty’s Mazurka (the one in three parts recorded by Altan) which I just learned, and an obscure but fun wedding march from Gotland which I probably will finish over the weekend, as we are going to the in-laws for a Christmas workshop. But most of all I am trying to find a used car to by, as I, at the tender age of 28, just got my driver license.

This was a really good thread, we should have one like this every morning……….

Well it’s all been lovely.

My favourite bit so far is the guy putting the condom over his head. This haunts me.

A lad who used to work for me would put one over his head to just below his nose, then breathe in by mouth and out by nose, thus inflating the condom until it burst.

It’s funny the first time.

Oddly, his nickname was Gizmo.

Dave

Did he do this because he was a d!ckhead?

Coat!

I’m sitting looking through the smeary glass of my studio window, watching the lawn gradually disappear under the late falling leaves. The sky is low and grey, and the trains on the line behind our garden sound mournful. It’s another melancholic Autumnal day in Goring, and the gloom is not dispelled by the densely scrawled lists of work to do that cover my desk, nor the regular dismal pinging of the email software as yet another missive arrives from one of my eager clients. I’ve been to three sessions so far this week, and I feel faintly depressed that, with all the practice I get, I’m still not the slightest bit happy with my flute playing.
The towels I was asked to bring in three days ago still flap disconsolately on the washing line, and a morose looking cat sits licking it’s paws by a small, bare willow.
Apart from all that it’s really rather jolly.

Geoff …

… according to Ed., he did it so as to be safer …
๐Ÿ™‚

Mark!

Put your Leonard Cohen CD on. It’ll make you feel better.

I’m with you Ottery - my desk is covered in lists and empty cups of lemsip for my streaming cold. I should’ve stayed at home.I would’ve stayed at home but the mother-in-law is staying just now…The only good thing is that the lovely lawn and gardens at my office, which were ‘de-leafed’ only last Friday by the smug groundsman (he spent hours raking them) are now completely covered in brown leaves again. Hope it rains when he’s out there tomorrow…(BTW is there a safe limit to the number of lemsips you can have in a day? I’ve had loads with no effect - should I snort/inject the next one?)

Posted by .

The trouble is, Yohan, that I am at home….
Where’s that Leonard Cohen album?

Hi Ewan,
my cold is getting better with every sip of my hot whisky (with lemon). Forget about the lemsip. And even my graphic work is getting more colourful and happy and…

Okay, Yohan, this is really gross, but I’ll tell you what, when I was singing gigs regularly, we did on doctor’s advice, and it really helps with the effects of a cold even if it doesn’t make it go away. (Anyone whose stomach is feeling delicate, avoid reading the rest of this.)

Some doctors say it doesn’t help at all, but having done it quite a bit (since we were singing retails stores at Christmas time all done up in Dickensian garb, and in a four person group singing extremely close harmony, when you have colds, everyone can tell), I’ll tell you it does…but I shouldn’t do this at work unless you can get some time in the men’s all alone with the door locked.

One cup of pleasantly warm water. Add just a bit of salt so it’s a nice mild saline solution that won’t sting — you’ll know almost immediately if you’ve got too much salt or too little by just tasting it. Put your head back and pour about a teaspoon or so of the stuff up your nostrils — you can use those rubber syringes they sell for earwax or simply use a spoon — and rinse out as much of your nasal and sinus cavities as possible with the stuff (you end up looking like you’re doing a very slow version of that Devo dance), then lean back over and let it drain. Do this with about 3/4 of the cup and then gargle the rest.

Repeat as often as you like, but once every hour is just fine.

If you do this regularly, supposedly it’ll really help keep colds away, but it’s too much trouble for me and I only do it if I’ve got a cold already — I have a friend who has had chronic sinus infections in the past who swears that she hardly ever gets them now because she does it every night.

The doctor who gave me the advice was a public health doc at a clinic, because I had such a terrible cold that I was worried it was something more severe. They apparently were giving out that advice so much that season that they had it all printed up to hand out to people.

I’ve noticed over the years that if I have a cold it "goes away" when I’m playing in an orchestral concert, and this has been the experience of other orchestral musicians I know. I don’t know why this should be so.
It doesn’t work, tho’, if you have the genuine ‘flu. Then the

hmm - whisky is always my preferred option (usually with more whisky and not lemon though). I’ll give the saline teaspoon a blast before band practice tonight.
I’m going home now…the wind is blowing, it’s getting dark, may have to stay at home tomorrow - hopefully I’ll feel better so I can really enjoy my day off…
*sniff* *cough*

Posted by .

Adrenaline, Trev! Adrenaline!

I make a hot tea with lemon, garlic, ginger, chilli and honey, you have to let it brew for about 10 mintues (make a whole pot) - I think it taste so bad the cold just dies in protest! It really works tho, I swear its true.

Posted by .

bb, you Australians are really different… (where is the whisky in that mix?)

If you put whisky into a pot of hot tea wouldn’t the active principle of the whisky (i.e. the alcohol) evaporate? Perhaps the way to do it is to add the whisky to the tea when poured into the cup or mug and *then* to gently pour cream onto the surface, without stirring it in, a la Irish coffee, to stop the whisky from evaporating, or at any rate to retain the alcohol in the cream. That’s my theory, anyway.
Trevor

No, it’s not just the aussies! My sister in law swears by a chili pepper and ginger tea kind of stuff. It’s horrible, but she says it works great. Trev, I think the best thing to do is to just drink the whiskey off straight. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yeah, great joke Zina, ๐Ÿ˜€ HAAAAA ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. He-he-he…. he ….. he…. …. ‘,:-|

Joking? Was I joking?

No you weren’t!

( I was taking the Mickey) ๐Ÿ™‚