looking for a midget concertina

looking for a midget concertina

doing this for a friend who’s looking for a very small concertina…. one octave english from the description he gave me. Anyone having any clue ?
Thanks

Re: looking for a midget concertina

If you come across a cheap one, like some of the very cheap 1-octave accordions, check it out first by playing it, otherwise give it a wide berth.

what we’re thinking about wouldn’t be a cheap one : the one he saw looking more like a wheatstone, even if it was tiny… very well made !

There definitely were a few small concertinas made by the major manufacturers, presumably as ‘one-offs’ for stage entertainers.
I’ve seen so few in all my years I assume that they were both rare and treasured by those who owned one.
Probably the best thing would be to get in touch with all the known dealers, also perhaps the auction houses that deal in musical instruments, like Bonhams, not to mention Sothebys, although I suggest this indicates the price you might have to pay.
Alternatively, talk to the current makers of quality instruments and sound them out. Similar prices will no doubt apply.

Aren’t concertinas small enough already?

There you are ! Just as you were asking.
I notice it has an 8-fold bellows, presumably because it runs out of air quite fast. And it’s a Wheatstone Eola, top of the range.
If you mate’s got the money for what is, undoubtedly, a novelty instrument, tell him to go for it. There’s some days to go on the bidding, of course.

They don’t like to be called midget concertinas. They prefer "little reeds."

ebay mini wheatstone….
ooh that’s pretty (and the price will be too!)
Is that likely to be a duet or an anglo?

Chris

Ah-ha - in the horniman ledgers, it’s down as a duet.

Well, maybe it’s not an Aeola, but metal-ended would indicate a top model anyway.
Did you observe it’s so small it doesn’t have any straps, you just had to hold it in your hand ?
I’m sure i saw a unicyclist play one at the end of an act on television many years ago, he started out on the normal size one playing an accordion, and progressed up through three more ever-higher unicycles, and ever smaller instruments, ending up on one about 10 feet high playing one of these mini-concertinas.

There’s a discussion on the ebay one going on over at concertina net at
http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=10929
The ledgers seem to show it as an Anglo, but someone has spoken to the seller over the phone and got him to push some buttons, and it plays the same on push/pull, so maybe duet after all.

They are still being made bespoke (at least in England) - contact your favorite maker and enquire on lead time.

They don’t usually have straps and aren’t really made for tunes - more for playing chords one-handed by bouncing them up and down.
We had one on display at our concertina club last month, with bellows that can be split in two so you can play one in each hand (english variety rather than anglo).