Christmas Repertoire

Christmas Repertoire

As a follow on from Yohan’s discussion, does anyone have suggestions for "seasonal sets" which we could perform over the next few weeks. Hopefully, they should not be too naff…

Some of my favourites include Christmas Eve(although, a bit of an old war reindeer/or a chestnut roasting by the open fire), Christmas Day in the morning(Shetland), Mid Winter Waltz (An adaptation of Bleak Mid Winter by Dave Richardson of Boys of the Lough). Any more suggestions, folks?

John

Re: Christmas Repertoire

A friend of mine gave me a tune called Christmas In Killarney….

The Galway Manger?
The Morning Star?
The 3 Wise Maids?

The tune people sing for "Deck the Halls with boughs of holly" - isn’t that an old tune sometimes called "Piper oer the wet grass straying" - or did I make that up? I just did a search for that title and came up with nothing. Perhaps I imagined it.

Dave

"Piper oer the wet grass straying fa la la la la la la la la
the baby in a manger laying - fa la la la la la la la la…"

Posted by .

Thank you Yohan - the sun shines on the hour of our meeting.

(its peeing down outside really, but it sounded good).

What’s it like being clever? Is it as good as seeing little Kathryn Tickells tattoo?

Dave

you never did tell me the story…come on it’s a miserable Friday afternoon - what better way to spend it than to regale us with the time you saw Ms Tickell’s tattoo?

Posted by .

The Chieftains did a Christmas CD called The Bells of Dublin some years ago. Some good stuff on it eg The Wren

"you never did tell me the story…come on it’s a miserable Friday afternoon - what better way to spend it than to regale us with the time you saw Ms Tickell’s tattoo?"

Forget the story, did you get PICTURES, man?

You just can’t beat Ms Tickell’s tattoo (without a bodhran)

I used to know an old lady who said to me "God gave us memories so we can have roses in December"

Memories. Oh! Hooliganpiper, some things are better than pictures.

I am now so full of memories and emotions that I can’t possibly tell the tattoo story now, my eyes have gone all misty and I can’t type any more. Home now to the slippered hearth and fond fleabag dogs, and wife called Mother and the wireless babbling.

**sigh**

Dave

Baaarrrgghhp!!

…sorry. Too many lagers. Excuse me.

What I meant to say was, #841 in O’Neill’s, A Merry Christmas (Nodhlog Mheabhrach). Looks a nice tune. Don’t ask me to ABC it - the last one nearly kill’t me.

daaaaaannnnyyy

Thanks Pobe! - not just for me, though, for everyone.

Sylvia Woods has a book out for Christmas arangements. Their all very traditional Christmas tunes, but she has added an Irish flavour to them.

Possibly the tune you are thinking of is Piper in the Meadow Straying?

Don O