ITM on a melodica

Re: ITM on a melodica

Sounds good! You should hook a bag and bellows to it, then your mouth would be free and you could use a harmonica to back up the melody, never seen that before.

Sorry but I went to check out your other videos on youtube and it says your age is 61! That can’t be true, in this video you appear maybe 30 something.

yes, i think i may have typed in a random number… :-)

if i hooked a bag and bellows to it, wouldn’t i have an accordion?

Well, you could call it a Uillodica I guess……….

I think that’s the tune Planxty recorded and called The Woman I Never Forgot. I didn’t know the other names, or the detail with the clip that it was composed by Sean Ryan.

It sounded OK - I expected some kind of abomination! Good luck.

Have you heard Ian Carr or Karen Tweed play it - there’s one played by Ian on their first album. Sounds great!

Really nice — your articulation and ornamentation elevate an instrument that is usually played rather boringly.

What make/model of melodica are you playing?

It looks a cut above the sort you might get in a pound shop…

Thanks - it’s a Hohner Jubilee. It is a cut above some of the melodicas out there, but only slightly! It has mini keys, which I quite like…

<if i hooked a bag and bellows to it, wouldn’t i have an accordion?>

Not really, you would have a Harmonium. If it was an electric motor attached it would be like the Harmophone, which were manufactured during the 1950’s-60’s.

Enjoyed the playing though and no need for silly bellows here.

Nice. Exceeded my expectations by a long way. Well done.

Nice! Sounds no odder than a harmonica. I’m sure most sessionistas would rather have you honking on that thing than on a PA.

I have a friend who plays many things, and likes to play tunes on the melodica. Sounds just fine, like a little concertina but without the push/pull feel.

Put the bellows under your elbow like the irish pipes!

Something that a prospective player of a melodica would need to know about is essential routine maintenance. When being played a stream of moist warm air from the player’s mouth will be entering the melodica - what effect would this have on the reeds and what needs to be done on a regular basis to keep the interior of the instrument dry and clean?

Btw, for the avoidance of doubt, I have no intention of buying or playing a melodica - currently trying to get to grips with a D/G melodeon is quite enough for me :-)

lol Michael.
Put a clothes-peg on the bottom D for a drone. I think you’re onto something. :)

Posted by .

I’ll have to give that a try!

Is it still possible to see that video from the initial post? It says ‘unavailable’ now.

Posted by .

Ignore - I presume it’s one of Daren Banarsë’s and I know where to find those. :)

Posted by .