John McSherry

John McSherry

Just had to tell you all I went to John McSherry’s album launch last night - did anyone else get the chance to go?
What an absolute gentleman he is. He played with his band "At First Light" ( who were excellent, and the crack and banter were mighty altogether) McSherry’s playing was superb and he played his full set of pipes to perfection - his reg. playing was impeccable!
I got his new album "Soma" - absolutely wonderful! Aisling Gheall is heart wrenching, makes me want to cry. Lads, this is most definitely my favourite album to date ( and I have amassed quite a collection over the past 30 years) - I can’t stop listening to it. I think when you hear it you’ll fall in love with it. Fantastic new compositions here: love The Wave Sweeper" and older tunes are included as well ( a few Willie Clancy tunes i there).
Just had to share this with you!!

Re: John McSherry

Don’t forget to add it here to ‘Recordings’ and leave your comments…

You lucky thing! Can’t wait ‘til the cd comes available to buy. I had the chance to hear At First Light live in October last year and I’m definitely a big fan 🙂

Thanks for reminding me ceolachan.

I’ll try to chase up some listens in the meantime…

I’ve just added it to recordings.

Waas that at the centre on Cooke St in Belfast?

I was going to go, but looked like it was sold out!

Was this the full At First Light, or the "John McSherry Quartet" that played at Celtic Connections recently? (McSherry, MacIllduff and O’Connor of AFL, plus Tony Byrne. That is, no Ruben Bada or Alan Burke).

Prob shouldn’t post this here but AFL play The Higher Bridges Gallery in Enniskillen this Sat at 8pm. I’m certainly looking forward to it and also getting his new album.

Is the album more straight up trad or does it have a lot of funky modern arrangements on it? Or something in between?

The line-up was - John McSherry, Donal O Connor, Francie McIlduff, Alan Burke and Michael McCague( in place of Ruben Bada).
The album is………everything! It starts off with an air on pipes called An Bhean Chaointe. I think it is very brave to open an album with an air and must be a sign of just how comfortable and confident he is with his music. There’s also an air played on what sounds like a low A whistle, which is a massive brute of a thing for anyone to try and play - the instrument is played with no accompaniment but the swirling of the resonence from the whistle makes it sound unearthly. I have to say McSherry’s own compositions are great. Personally I just love the whole way he’s produced it. It’s all accoustic ( apart from the keys- which I must say don’t interfere with the accoustic sound). There is one tune where in the outro I actually thought I was listening to an electric guitar until I realised it’s actually the pipes. He plays regs on it, which should quieten a lot of critics but then they’ll probably say it’s not really him playing, which would be a nonsense as, everyone could see and hear last night, he is an absolute consummate player of. Anyhow his timing , rhythm and musicality are perfect here - he CAN play at a slower pace - when he chooses to.
The more I listen to it, the more treasures there are to be found.
Hats off to him, I really think he’s made a blinder of an album! I will be interested to hear what you all think when you get it.

BTY the gig was sold out - loads of people couldn’t get in!

I’m looking forward to its general release.

He had a gig in the Oran Mor (I think) at Celtic Connections and we were not able to see it, as it had sold out by the time we got around to buying tickets. Luckily I had seen him play with At First Light at the Armagh Piping Fest in 2008. Tremendous stuff.

sligeach

Thanks. The set in Glasgow was almost all old material, with one set of new tunes.

The Piper?

Aye, he used to play with me but moved on.

How’s he getting on?