ITM and Copyright - Survey for Musicians in UK and Ireland

ITM and Copyright - Survey for Musicians in UK and Ireland

Dear all,

I am a Ph D law student at Queen Mary, University of London and I am also a traditional musician. I am only a recent member of thesession.org but I have noticed a number of interesting debates on the issue of Irish traditional music and copyright in the discussions section. I have recently launched a survey on this issue (see link below).

I am currently doing some research in the area of Irish traditional music and copyright and I am genuinely interested in exploring the views of Irish traditional musicians concerning this subject. I have tried to design the survey questions to give participants as much scope as possible in making their answers. If you are interested in completing the survey, click on the link below.

However, please note that there are some conditions for eligibility for the survey.

The survey is soley intended for Irish traditional musicians (of any level) who live or work in the UK or Ireland (for legal jurisdictional reasons). You must be over 18 to complete this survey.

The survey is accessible at:

https://surveys.qmul.ac.uk/itmandcopyright/

If you would like further info, email me at l.t.mcdonagh@qmul.ac.uk

Thanks for your interest,

Luke McDonagh

Posted by .

Re: ITM and Copyright - Survey for Musicians in UK and Ireland

This is so sad. Take it to America and discuss it with Sarah Palin. Even the English don’t sink so low.

Oh yes they do… I personally get fed up with the attempts to claim copyright on a tune that stretches back way before the person laying claim began the swim toward creation… That includes the bozos who regularly try to claim monies for percieved violations of live sessions. It wasn’t long ago someone with a pub raised a discussion here because these bozos knocked on their door demanding payment…

And, with regard to the survey, one can only add "Where there’s a lawyer, there’s a bill".

No GP, that’s "a duck", where there’s a duck ~ ! Or was it a swan? ~ or a goose?

Bozos = PRS…

We’re all bozos on this bus - "Quack !".

Ho hum, we have had this copyryte issue forced on us in the bag pipe industry by a few people wanting to make a few quick sheckles.

It’s getting to the point that new composers want $5 for a 2 line reel or jig. A 4 line march is mostly just variations and repeats of phrases, hardly genious composing since most of it is just following a standard format.

Why compose a tune if you don’t want people to play it?