Sessions in the Lake District

Sessions in the Lake District

I’m hoping to have a week in the lakes from 10th April and as ever, I am looking for some music.. I have checked the Sessions section but it seems a bit sparse for the time I’m there.
Any suggestions please?

Posted by .

Re: Sessions in the Lake District

I know the Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel in Great Langdale sometimes has music on in the bar but I haven’t been for a couple of years now. I think the owner or manager plays fiddle so could be worth checking out their website or contacting them. I’m considering a camping trip up there that week so if you hear a lone whistler in the valley feel free to come and join me 🙂

Lakeland Fiddlers

http://www.myspace.com/lakelandfiddlers

The Lakeland Fiddlers host a session on the second Tuesday in the month at the Hawkshead Brewery Beer Hall in Staveley, (near Kendal), Cumbria.

The session is free and open to all. Bring your instrument, share your tunes, or just sit and listen whilst enjoying the excellent beer brewed on the premises.

http://www.hawksheadbrewery.co.uk/

There a jolly bunch, and they’ll know about anything musical, along these lines, happening in the Lake District. I believe we have a few members here too. Check ‘sessions’ and email anyone who has added one from Cumbria.

Have fun ~ ‘c’

Sessions

https://thesession.org/sessions/

State/Province/County/Region: Cumbria

There are 9 listings, each submitted by someone that might be able to help you.

Thanks for the prompt help, what a marvelous site.
Thanks ceolachan, I had checked those but there are a lot of first Thur and last Fri sort of thing. I never thought to contact the people who listed them so thanks for that idea.

Posted by .

I’m hoping to be on holiday in that neck of the woods in late July early August so this is most welcome info.
Any local festivals or music events happening around then?

Brampton Live 16/17 July - folk festival. Went last year for the first time - great!
Solfest - end Aug - never been, even though it’s just up the road. This has a wide range of music.
Both have web sites.

You could always take time out and lose yourself in the cleavage of Nature, pursuing the Wordsworthian Sublime around the bosomy fells. Remember, though, Wordsworth had the constitution of a sheepdog and got in his huge walking feats when young. Born round there, he was no doubt impervious to the staggering rainfall.

If you’re motorised, you may find something in one or other of the towns beyond the edges of the District - Brampton (as mentioned), Penrith, Kendal, e.g. Although it’s actually quite a long way up to Carlisle or Brampton.

Hello Len.
Sessions in the Riflemans Arms Kendal, Thurs and the Lamplghter Bar Windermere, Wed.

nicholas, nicholas, just because you get around on a push bike, you folk from the Black Country with your joined eyebrows and obsessions with cleavage and bosoms. Carlisle is an easy jaunt if you’ve gas powered wheels and happen to get the inclination, no sweat… 😎

Hi, ceolachan!

I can only say that the thought of yourself at the wheel, banging and ricochetting your way through secluded and inoffensive Cumbrian hamlets and reducing them to rubble in your bid to out-pace the Northbound traffic on the M6 while texting some prolonged and prolix piece to The Session and practising some fantastical piece of footwork on the controls that you have just acquired from some particularly demented dance grimoire, is enough to make me wish that Nature had spared me the gift of normal mental sensitivity.

I’d just like to add that the earlier advice re checking current session status with the person who first posted it is always a good idea, wherever you are seeking music.

Just so, GP, it could be the basis of a sessioneers nightmare; you turn up at a pub expecting to find a session…anyone remember that film about the road house where the gang meets up only to find the place full of vampires…
Thanks for your input folks; nicholas, after two weeks sampling the delights of precipitation on the Isle of Skye last year (it only rained twice - all the first week and then all the second week - I kid you not) the rainfall in the Lakes hold no terrors for me. And I certainly will be trying to commune wit’ the old nature - if I can find a spot not over run with bl**dy tourists like meself ;-P
len, I hope you a lovely time!

"After two weeks sampling the delights of precipitation on the Isle of Skye last year…the rainfall in the Lakes holds no terror for me…"

It will, John, it will!

The Lake District is Skye without the distilleries.

WHAT? No distilleries? Blow that for a game of soldiers.
I shall just to take my own then.