Would this freak you out?

Would this freak you out?

First of all, the latest Tunepal for iPhone is now available on the app store, with top ten tunes display and stave notation.

Now, I have an idea for the next version and I want to see would people find it useful or just freaky. Tunepal geotags all queries. You can track the tunes you have played on a map on the iPhone and also the global queries online at tunepal.org. Its kind of exciting to see what tunes people are searching for around the world. All of this is totally anonymous of course and can be enabled or disabled at the users preference.

However, what if you could create say a tunepal login for yourself, linked to either your facebook login or your thesession.org login. Then you could show a map on the iPhone of:

1. The tunes being played around you
2. You could see the nearby musicians on your iphone map, say in a 50 km radius and tapping on a musician would bring you to their facebook page or thesession.org page. This might not be much use in Dublin, but say you were in the back of beyonds in Australia or somewhere like that.

I suppose it could be made an optional feature. Would this be useful or cool or would it freak you out if you could be found this way?

BTW Anyone going to the Criniu next week?

Bryan

Re: Would this freak you out?

I think its a great idea! , mind Ive no iphone and have no intention of getting one. plus id say 99% of the musicians in my area are not on the session.org and if they were would be too embarrassed to admit it .
I just wander into the village for the session, which should be on tonight, only its good friday….
Its like 2 worlds, the old boys around here who would be more familiar with mice that run than mice that click, and the online world, where if your not online you hardly exist! ๐Ÿ™‚ Being a progressive sort, I ventured online just a few short years ago, mainly for the sake of my kids…. Anyhow…

You could stalk your exes with that technology.

I’m not sure it’s healthy to know which tunes he or she is playing in what pubs. Just sayin’.

Or is it just me who thinks that way.

I think it would be interesting, and if I knew I could turn it off I’d be willing to load it. But I’m the geeky type who loves new gadgets and gizmos.

I’d like to smoke a bit of that meself, that’s good hooter, skooter.
What’ll they think of next?

Sounds like a great toy for people who aren’t playing tunes, but wish they were. Like all of the iphone apps that have been posted so far…

i’m slighty bothered by the nerdification of this music, and whilst i’m at it, the trainspottery flavour of alot of stuff getting posted here, which makes me wonder if this is all about keeping a musical tradition alive, or increasingly about giving social misfits an alternative to standing at crewe station waitng for the flying scotsman to go past.

merry christmas.

and it goes without saying that things like facebook and social networking and google and flash cookies are evil, and should be shunned.

Most of modern computer applications - social networking and iphone apps certainly fall into this - are part of what I call the distraction machine. There’s a whole lot of energy going into preventing people from actually doing the things they claim to facilitate.
For my part, I absolutely refuse to have any part of facebook or to have a phone that does anything more than make phone calls. To paraphrase the ads plastered all over the T (Boston’s subway system) : Life goes by fast - don’t spend it staring at a little screen!

And don’t even talk to me about twitter. They tell you straight off what they think of you, and if you think there’s anything good to be had there, you’re a twit for sure.

Freaks me out man.

I really like the idea of the queries being compiled by region in a map that one could access from tunepal.org (looked for it just now but didn’t see a map there… is it implemented already?). I’m not sure what I would learn from seeing the geographical distribution of various tunes, or queries in my neighborhood, but it would be interesting anyways.

I don’t think I would ever want it tied to my facebook or session.org login, though. If you do add this feature, better make it optional (and turned off by default).

I don’t have an iphone, but am thinking of getting one.

It’s all good, I’m sure.
Even if it’s a bit onerous to embrace new ideas.
Or is the world still flat?

You can view the maps here:

http://tunepal.org/tunepal/zeitgeist.php

Mind you, my server seems to be on a go slow at the moment for some reason and its not working for me. Maybe try later.

Food for thought there guys. I am a bit of a trainspotter. I really enjoy sitting up in my attic with my machines and writing programs. For those of you who are not into computers, well there is something kind of magical about taking the ideas in your head and making them into real things. There is something Harry Potter about it. Bill Joy expressed it very well in his article in Wired magazine some time ago. If you want to understand something about computer science and creativity, its a good place to start:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/8.04/joy.html

I also play loads of flute, listen to loads of music, travel, do tai chi, go running, so I suppose Im not a total train spotter.

The "tunes around me" map would be easy to implement. I might keep everything anonymous though. There probably arent enought users to make the musicians around me worth the effort for now

Bryan

I’ll be there, Bryan.

Posted by .

"Or is it just me who thinks that way."
Yep.

Not everyones ex is a tune player. Thank fu*k.

Keep her lit Bryan.

We’ve incrementally invited this post privacy age we are speeding towards as technology has facilitated interconnectedness none of would have thought possible a few years ago. We’d be well served to make our lives an open book lest we drive ourselves crazy with worry. Judgment day is here. So, I’ve personally accepted this and wouldn’t be freaked out.

for me its less about the technology, and more about the fact that what it seems to be for, how its sold to us, be it as social networking or for better security, has nothing to do with the real reasons this is pushed down our throats.

its about data collection, tracking everything we do, for maximising advertising revenue,and possibly more sinister reasons.

doesnt it bother you that everything you do is now logged and recorded?

"doubleclick`’ anyone?

we used to hear frightening stories of 1000s of innocent people being monitored by the stazi in east germany, often for no good reason. it was all shocking.
now everyone is monitored and logged, and no-one cares. the only difference is now its easy, its done without massive manpower/secret police. instead we use computers. does that make it any better?

its done by phone logs, email logs, ip tracking, flash cookies, google, facebook, doubleclick, electronic travelcard tracking.

an a british subject, i might be more sensitive to this stuff than others; this new technology is being abused by our government (and will be by the next one).
time to emigrate.

It might freak me out if I could understand what you are talking about.

I assume that it is another example of a technology solution looking for a problem.

Ha, ha, rumpole; emigrate to where? They would only follow you, anyway.

"Not everyones ex is a tune player. Thank fu*k."

Aye! My advice to the world is don’t date fellow sessioneers. EVER.

I’m amending that to "fellow sessioneers or anyone else on the planet."

The old songs always have it right:

The cowslips bloom and the bluebells, too
Here’s advice I’ll give to you
Rattle your sword before you strike
And never kiss anyone you like

(okay it’s not that old, but it’s old enough)

Thanks for the link, Bryan. The list of tune names came up, but the map didn’t (I tried Firefox and Google Chrome). Do I have to somehow tell it my location first or something?

No there is definitely something weird happening with the server at the moment. I have restarted everything, but still I am getting really poor performance from it - hence I’ve disabled the map for now. Im able to get about 10k p/s download speed and normally its in the 100’s of K p/s. I’ve lodged a support request to get someone to have a look at it. I’ll keep you posted.

Apologies to anyone whose searches timed out in the last hour or so. Ther server is working ok now for searches.

Bryan

Server back up and running fine now. Im limiting the map to the last 200 tags and it displays ok now:

http://tunepal.org/tunepal/map.php

It still takes 20-30 seconds to load

Bryan