Running a session

Running a session

Hi al,
I’ve been asked to coordinate a session locally for our Folk Club.
There is a wealth of local talent to draw from, so there should be little problem making sure of musicians, but I was wondering if you could offer any tips to help attract visitors, musicians and listeners alike, or to make the session a little different., so it stands out.

Thanks in advance

RockyRoader.
PS See my new session in the Sessions section.
PPS There Will Be Bodhran

Re: Running a session

why not make it a nudist session,that would be different

Posted .

…and a bong session. That’d be a stand-out.

I suppose the greenhouses would blow away.

*RUN A SESSION* ??!…

I think I’d sooner try to run Greece.

or England…you’ll have a chance to do that pretty soon eh.
LOL.

How does a bodhran player "run a session?" Or was that a typo, "run" missing an "i" ?

(Sorry, couldn’t resist)

Since you have a wealth of quality musicians, all you need is a cozy place to play where the musicians can hear themselves and the publican supports the music. The rest will take care of itself.

Posted .

Free beer!

"no problem making sure of musicians"

Do not assume anything. Get commitments. We all left our lovely local bookstore lady high and dry with a store full of people waiting for music, but all of the musicians were out of town that week and assumed that everyone else wasn’t. Not a good thing, since we are still in the building phase of this particular session.

"I think I’d sooner try to run Greece." Amen to that, nicholas. 😀

If it’s just getting started, it couldn’t hurt to have a handful of people who are willing to commit to being there, and to have played together before, so you know there’s some common body of repertoire.
Stay away from local tune lists, "official sets", session books, and the like, but it’s nice to have a few people who can be counted on to have some tunes in common (preferably ones others will know as well - don’t get three fiddlers who all know the same weird modern tunes or the same obscure forgotten favorites that nobody else plays, or it’ll be a very uncomfortable concert, and not a session at all)

Practice herding cats.

Maybe find a local legend or two to show up regularly? Clare
must be full of local legends; course maybe they’re all busy …

Invite as many as you can - individually. They like that and yes, free beer/sandwiches etc anything that shows them they’re appreciated.

Thanks folks.
I plan to make sure that the melody players turn up by inviting individually well in advance and confirming in person the day before.
We do hope our hosts will provide light snacks - sandwiches and/or cocktail sausages and the like.
Yes, Miss Lonlelyhearts; a bodhran player - I was asked to do it because the musicians like me! And no, I didn’t mistype!
Jon, the musicians I expect to be regulars have a great store of tunes, mostly polular Clare reels and jogs. We do expect hornpipes, a rarity at Clare sessions, and polkas, courtesy of some very good box players!

You’ll all be welcome in Sixmilebridge any Friday night April through June!