If you could think of the name of a tune to sum up your own journey of learning and playing ITM…

If you could think of the name of a tune to sum up your own journey of learning and playing ITM…

what would it be, and why?

Im gonna say Out on the Ocean, because sometimes I feel like im bobbing around aimlessly drifting on the ebb and flow, but I still enjoy it. And when I catch wind in the sails, and everyone else is smiling cus they’ve caught it too, and the tunes are sounding mighty, its a great feeling.

Re: If you could think of the name of a tune to sum up your own journey of learning and playing ITM…

Joys of My Life. Because finding this music and playing it has given my so much - great friends, great adventures, good stories, and years of pleasure.

Re: If you could think of the name of a tune to sum up your own journey of learning and playing ITM…

Hmmmm… Drowsie Maggie. Just kidding.

Probably: "I Burried My Wife and Danced on Her Grave." Do I have to explain?

The Long and Winding Road…

hmmm, I’ve heard that title before somewhere.

The Crooked Road

Or " Tripping Up the Stairs".

"I rattled it into Mary while her mother was out for turf"

The Quarrelsome Piper

Sad is my fate.

King of the pipers…

Nah, only joking 🙂

The maid behind the bar… hmm…

rattle the cash… no ahh…

The traveler… yes thats about it.

The Piper’s Despair.

rocky road to dublin , or if it is the tune rather than the name i would say farewell to erin , bothy band. Thumping tune , not overly tricky to get started yourself but a very different story when you try to play along with the bothy band! ! Just Like a lot of tunes i can play grand at home until you try to roll em out in public !

I can’t think of one for the whole mess of it. But if I were to divide it into chapters, here would surely be one called the Drunken Landlady, because there was a period when she hired my band pretty regularly.

nine’s various points of jiggerypokery.

the fox on the town

or maybe: whiskey for breakfast

I think it would be a tune I heard when they announced the death of actor Peter Graves: Mission Impossible!

Up To Your Knees In Sand, perhaps.

Scatter The Mud.

The Barren Sands Of A Dorian.

Strike The Gay Harp.

Down, boys…

The Ale Is Dear - this one’s for definite.

Out on the Road (alternative title for Josephine Keegan’s "Cap and Bell" reel). I’ve worked my own way around the ITM world and its been (and still is) an enjoyable journey 🙂

The Dunmore Lasses.

…cuz ain’t no one done more lasses than…

OK, like, how flippin’ old is that joke by now? I think I tell it monthly on here.

The Slippery Slope - a Liz Carroll tune - a great tune and true tale of a yank in the tradition.

"Dowd’s # 9" because of the namesake.

Posted by .

I am such a Derry Air
Not really

Either ‘Farewell to the gimps on the Mustard Board’
or
‘Tripping Upstairs’

"Bottom of the Punch Bowl" just because I always enjoy playing it.

Posted by .

Shanty is the gimps title an alternate name for "Happy to Meet, Sorry to Part"?

Posted by .

the knotted chord

Posted .

The Knotted Flute.

Rainbow’s End.

Posted by .

The New Road

So far: The Kid on the Mountain

"Punch in the Dark"

Catriona Macdonald’s "The Joy of It", for the (few) times it all comes together and really, really works… That’s what keeps me going!

The Golden Stud ;)

Bang your frog on the Sofa.

Not Safe with a Razor.

‘Banish Misfortune’…..fiddling gives me welcome respite from my concerns, as I deal with the challenges in my new career!

This thread is an interesting study of psychology…. who gives serious answers and who gives funny/weird ones… and why?

Its funny you should ask that, I gave a serious answer but I was toying with giving a funny one. In fact I expected a lot more funny answers than serious ones, but perhaps that fact alone suggests the sheer level of enjoyment people get out of it. Its good fun.

The Blackbird

Posted .

Golden Keyboard, not.
Mountain Road, yes.

The Diplodocus… probably would have similar fingering skills. Also, if the website had photos, all would be revealed.

Posted by .

Old Hag You Have Killed Me, Dear.

Steve~
How about the Scottish variant: Old Haggis You Have Killed Me! 😎

So far, The Happy Days of Youth.