Half-holers

Half-holers

Are there any players who make a lot of use out of half holing notes on a regular basis and avoiding key use? I have been told that some reckon Christy Barry does this. I’m talking about half holing F naturals and B flats and, actually playing tunes which are fully in F and G minor etc. Many people use half holing for accidentals but that’s not what I’m looking for.

I also believe Laurence Nugent played Paddy Kelly’s 4-Part with no keys (according to the tunes section) have have seen Fintan Vallely play The Wounded Hussar in G dorian/minor.

Cheers

Re: Half-holers

Try Dan Isaacson on the two albums by the Magic Square. He’s got a pretty magical method of playing in devious keys - sans keys.

James

I have a keyless flute, so I have to rely on half-holing a lot as well.

Am I the only one who thought the title of this thread was some sort of weird insult?

Hey, Llig, ya daft half-holer!

I eat half-holers for breakfast.

What, badly-made bagels?

I just posted a jig (Chris Stout) composed by Paddy Keenan in which the half-holed, bent, howling Fnat in the second part makes the tune. I think there are times when you want the note smooth and solid (use a key), and there are times when it’s better off wobbly and weird. Don’t know if it works the same on a flute as it does on the pipes, but I suspect it does, to a degree…?