The most important hornpipes to know?

The most important hornpipes to know?

Hi,
I’ve only learnt reels and jigs for years and years. I think I’ve recently found the good fiddle technique on the fiddle for hornpipes, so I’d like to know more of them. I already know the "old warhorses" however, and James Hill’s main compositions…
Would someone have a good list of "second level" hornpipes?

Posted by .

Re: The most important hornpipes to know?

Learn them all!

I like these as pairs of hps (specially chosen so you are guaranteed to get the B parts mixed up)

plains of boyle
the blackbird

proudlocks
off to californy

chief o’niells
garden of daisies

The ones that your friends/fellow session players play.

My favourite hornpipe of all the ones I know is Boys of Bluehill. The beauty of this tune is that EVERYBODY knows it, so you can’t fail with it at a session, unless of course, you attend a session where the preference is for the more obscure tunes.

The Dapper’s Delight - Paddy O’Brien

The Highlevel

….the Independance for a laugh

Don’t forget the harvest home. It leads nicely into Boys of Bluehill to keep the music going a bit longer

I don’t know about second or third level hornpipes, but sometimes reels get turned into hornpipes, and it can be pretty dramatic.
A good example is what Paudie O’Connor and Jim O’Brien did with that old chestnut Turkey in The Straw. Great stuff. If you have a few pennies to lose, you can get it off iTunes. You won’t regret it. It’s on Wind and Reeds. An it might well turn into an *important* tune to know.

Hornpipes are great and unduly overlooked. This may be a hangover from the Irish nationistic music guardians’ resistance to playing tunes in an ‘English’ form. This does mean there are many neglected hornpipe gems to be found which you can solo in session, if you want to show off.

The best source of these gems I have found is Peter Kennedy’s Fiddler’s Tune book series book of 200 ‘hornpipes, breakdowns, clog and step dances’. Great tunes and some tricky stuff to get your teeth into largely from the Northern England clog dance tradition but with two-way traffic with the Irish tradition evident.

I don’t know many, but some of my favourites are:

Humours of Tullycrine
Ballyoran
Dunphy’s

Yes, Humours of Tullycrine definately

I’ve been playing this set for a couple years:

Peacock’s Feather Dmin
Humours of Tullycrine Ador
Pride of Petravore Emin

protz, If you want us to take the time to give you a list, you need to take the time to give us a list of the ‘warhorses’ that you already know.

Tomgraney Castle
Rights of Man

A good few setdances have hornpipe timing in them and are lovely tunes, like the Blackbird above, although there’s more than one Blackbird.

Joe Ryan’s recording has a grand pair - I think he calls them Paddy O’Brien’s and The Few Bob. I learnt another called The Hunt recently and then there’s Rodney’s Glory.

Posted .

Has nobody yet mentioned Poll Ha’penny (AKA The Garden of Butterfiles)?

That’s a fantastic tune and I think it’s pretty well-known… I could be wrong though…

Little Stack Of Wheat is a beauty. It’s the tune tagged on to the last song on that Irvine/Brady album. Patrick Street came up with a lovely one on the album "No.2 Patrick Street" called Woodcock Hill. It does that nice polka thingie of going into A at the start of the B part. There are some very nice and quite accessible hornpipes in the Northumbrian tradtion. It’s invidious to select just one, but Minstrel’s Fancy is a cracker. Be warned, however, that this is coming from a man who doesn’t see anything wrong with Off To California…;-)

The Humours of Tullycryan/Scully Casey’s/whatever you want to call it, it’s a Dmaj HP on one of Bobby Casey’s CDs and also on The Godfather by Brian Rooney.
The Mountain Ranger
Caislean An Oir can be nice.
The West End
Mrs Galvin’s
The Home Ruler and Kitty’s Wedding are awesome, although probably in your ‘old warhorses’ category
Bantry Bay
I quite like the Slopes of Benbulben although it’s a bit of a box tune.
The Fly by Night
The Corofin Hornpipe
The Galway Bay Hornpipe
The Stage (which is James Hill i think so maybe you know it already)
The Western
The Smell of the Bog
The Happy Hornpipe
The Leverette
Dunguaire Castle
Garrai Na Saileog
Her Long Golden Hair Flowing Down Her Back
Jerry Daly’s off the Mulcahy’s latest CD
The Fort of Kincora
and many more I can’t think of right now.
Alternatively, don’t learn any and forget the ones you know because Chronic Hornpipe Aquisition Syndrome is debilitating and incurable.

I am very ecumenical with "Off to California". It may be a chesnut, but it is one that is great for getting everyone into a session. Especially if the session has irregulars or guests. And it encourages the kids to play in.

Like Hot Fudge. EVeryone likes it, just don’t use too much.

I like kjays list.

Two that I try to play, but not everyone is familiar with them is Peter’s Well and The Navigator. The Galway Bay is a piece that is great to do technique on (therefore it frustrates me to death) but it doesn’t seem to ‘fit well’ because everyone gets lost in the rolling walkdown in the third phrase. Nice solo piece though.

I must be getting old. looking for music to get everyone involved- not showing off.

Insidiously creeping OldFartitude!

The one you THOUGHT you knew, or THINK you know, but you really don’t.

Not like you should.

I was away…

Sorry folks, I hadn’t much time these days, thanks for your answers…

>Al Brown, "If you want us to take the time to give you a list, you need to take the time to give us a list of the ‘warhorses’ that you already know"
>You’re perfectly right…
I’ll have to search for the names, then.

" kjay_bc_box", your list has lots of tunes I don’t know yet… :-)

Posted by .

(…yes, "The Home Ruler and Kitty’s Wedding" are in my ‘warhorses’ category, for instance. Although they are really good tunes.)

Posted by .

Mrs. Crotty’s
Johnny Cope
Alexander’s
Fairie’s
Chief o’Neill’s
Cooley’s
Paistin Fonn