Music and sex. Part Four

Music and sex. Part Four

I have often heard performers-no pun intended πŸ™‚) and musicians refer to certain tunes as being "sexy". Do you think such a description can be appropriate and what would be your criteria for a "sexy tune"? For instance, Four Men and a Dog recorded "The Kilfenora sexy jig". Perhaps, you are "turned on" by a tune or the title implies something e.g The Ladies’ Pantalettes or The old torn petticoat etc. Or maybe, the tune might be glamourous or exciting in some way?

Personally, I like tunes with little twists and "sliding notes-eg from natural to flat/sharp or vice versa"-In other words, something that’s just a little bit unexpected. What’s your criteria?

John

Re: Music and sex. Part Four

I think that subscribing to the current media driven fad for substituting ‘interesting’ or ‘exciting’ with ‘sexy’ should be made a knee-capping offence. I heard some tosser on Radio 4 recently talking about the RSPCA and how they found it difficult to interest the public in toads or somesuch, whereas with weasels it was much easier, because weasels were ‘sexy’. No they aren’t and that man should be knee-capped. The only possible way a tune could ever be considered sexy was if it was on in the background while someone was shagging your lights out.

Gah, Paul, I have to disagree with you! Tunes can be sexy, just like they can be melancholy or optimistic or defiant, or express any number of shades of feeling and emotion. ‘Scatter the Mud’ is a sexy tune. The Lads of Laois is sexy. The Man of the House is sexy. It requires a bit of dark intrigue in the tune, and a bit of drive, maybe, or alternatively, a bit of restraint. Or a deadly combination of the two!

Of course, it will depend on how the tune is played. I’m sure lots of people can make those tunes sound not sexy. But they have latent sexiness, as far as I’m concerned. (And I don’t mean the weasel/toad kind…)

It may also be to do with inherent harmony inside the tune. I’ve noticed that whenever music has a very physical effect on me, from goose-bumps to trance-like bliss, it’s harmony that is responsible. I watched ‘O Brother, Where art Thou?’ the other day. I broke out in goosebumps 3 or 4 times, and it was vocal harmonies in every case that did it. And I think I’ve mentioned before, the strange hypnotic state I get into when Lunasa play the three low whistles in harmony…

Posted by .

No Nell, I will not be swayed! ‘The Lads of Laois’ is a top tune. It merits the adjectives swaggering and groovy, even funky at a push, but leave sexy on the top shelf for serious business. Likewise goose bumps, which are symptomatic of many emotional shifts, but they do not equate to lust per se.

I think I’d have to agree with Paul. While I, too, get goose bumps hearing or performing an especially exciting or emotional tune/song, I don’t consider that sexy.
On the other hand, sometimes after a particularly rewarding song or tune, I find myself wanting a cigarette. And I don’t even smoke.

k.

Music DEFINITELY turns me on (and I love having it on in the background during …..) There are lots of different tracks on different albums which do it for me but I can’t pull them out of my head right now to tell you. Definitely there’s some Sandy Denny tracks that do it for me, along with Lunasa (Killarney Boys of Pleasure e.g.) but it’s not ever connected with the *names* of the tunes - definitely the harmonies and different arrangements/different combinations of instruments. I think the uillean pipes are extremely sexy - the drones - and now I come to think of it, when someone uses the regulators - you see, the harmonies when they’re played on the pipes are EXTREMELY sexy - I love that….Also I find the flute very sexy to listen (thank you Kevin Crawford - and musn’t forget Mick Mulvey [Track 10]. Oh and playing the Humours of Ballyloughlin. That might turn me on. This subject is beginning to do my head in!

Oh, so it’s Nell now, is it?

Well spotted, Paul! Hi Helen 8>) Was thinking you’d been a bit quiet lately!

Posted by .

Ms. Sensible to the rescue! Thank God I’m not the only one! πŸ™‚
I suppose we could make a distinction between a tune itself, and a particular performance of a tune - or are the ‘anti’ brigade claiming that music, full-stop, can not be described as sexy? Are you serious? However, maybe this is a variable thing which affects some people and not others; or maybe Sensible and myself are polymorphously perverse… But for me, even certain tunes, in themselves, are basically sexy; they have to be played reasonably well of course. (Nothing sexy about a bad rendition of anything).

I don’t want to go into explicit detail about the Lunasa three-low-whistles-in-harmony effect, but it is *definitely* sexual… and, er, I don’t really want to be more specific…

Hmmm, perhaps you can see now why I’ve changed my moniker to something less recognisable. The particular reason for this, though; I met someone at a session the other day, who I’d never met before; who then guessed, from my first name alone, who I was from thesession, and then quoted back something critical I’d said about *his* session, a whole year ago, without even naming it - but he’d worked it out from corroborating evidence! Aaargh! Most embarrassing! He was very pleasant about it, but all the same, I felt a sudden urge for anonymity… see, and I don’t want to meet someone, months or years from now, who says ‘oh - you! You’re the woman that gets off on low whistles!!’ See!!?

Anyway, hi all. My workload is too heavy lately for me to get on the boards much. I have a quick glance now and then but can’t get the time to post much. πŸ™

Hey, Sensible* - you’re right about that track 10, what a lovely tune. Can I direct you to John Carty’s ‘At it Again’, track 14, second tune? I’ve just fallen in love with it. ‘The Harp and the Shamrock’… gorgeous!

*can we call you Sensi, or will that be misconstrued? πŸ˜‰

Posted by .

Oh, and further to Sensi’s point - let’s not even *start* on the pipes… and as for the drone - and then of course the regulators… sigh….

Posted by .

My fiddler gets excited when we play "My darlings a sheep".

Oh, hi "Nell", I didn’t realize who you were til I read your bio…the name changing thing sometimes really throws me off….

Posted by .

Oh, sorry, I just reread the post and see now why you did it. I hope *I* haven’t said anything to offend someone I’ll eventually meet up with, but oh well I guess I’ll have to live with it πŸ™‚

Posted by .

Ooh, Sensible - ‘At it Again’, track 5 as well - both tunes are absolutely top! This is a brilliant album…

Posted by .

At It Again…

Sorry - not meaning to get into a private discussion with Sensible, there. Anybody else getting stuck into the new John Carty album? It’s great stuff.

Posted by .

Ok. How’s this for odd? I play harp in our Celtic group and that’s about it really. No groupies, no nothing - probably just as well as I’m a married man!!

However, for Hallowe’en at a pub gig, for the second half I donned an inflatable pumpkin outfit which made it "just" possible to reach round the harp. Basically it’s just a big round pumpkin. In the end I danced to the pipe tunes (can’t compete with the pipes on the harp!!) and got surrounded by women, all making a grab for my seeds. I don’t understand the psychology of that one at all!!!

Mark

Best not to try then… Your head will likely explode.

Nothing turns on the ladies like a man in a captivating inflateable pumpkin. Thank heavens Halloween is only once a year, or we’d never get any work done.

LOL. Now this. THIS. Is why I’ve missed having Kerri around.

I don’t know how I missed this thread. Tunes can definintely be sexy. They can even make whoever is playing them sexy. Okay, maybe not sexy, but sexier. At least while they’re playing the tune.

I’d say, personally, trad and folk aren’t exactly the sexiest of genres, if we are DYING to use the adjective - we should use it for the type of music that comes out of people like like stevie wonder when he’s feeling funky.

Ooo, if you can say that, then you’ve never seen *local name shall go unmentioned here* playing certain tunes, Kerri. omigod. Sexy as hell.

Let me just say… the rest of the band have expressed interest in wearing the pumpkin next Hallowe’en (not all of them at the same time, obviously)

Mark

So…where were the seeds located on this costume, exactly, Mark?

Somewhere round the middle, I think… just underneath the toothy grin