Farewell to Ballymoate

Farewell to Ballymoate

I’ve been asked to do some research on a tune apparently called “Farewell to Ballymoate” - note the spelling of BallymoAte. I’ve been told that it’s a polka. That is all I have to go on for the moment (before I get back to the guy again). I have no clue as to how it might go or where/if it was recorded. The only tune I can think that might be mistakenly named as such is the polka “Memories of Ballymote”. But that’s just a guess on my part.

Has anybody come across this tune title before and, if so, where?

Re: Farewell to Ballymoate

I wouldn’t be too concerned re differences in spelling, Paddy. i do a fair bit of work on placenames and Ballymote, Ballymoat, and Ballymoate are all likely slightly differing forms of same name - quite normal. You could probably also throw in Ballemoat, Balmoat and Ballyvoat. The digital age would like us to have standard spellings but that ain’t the way it works in rural Ireland and long may it remain so!

Posted .

Famous Ballymoate has always struck me as a little gem of a contradiction in terms.

But for all I know, some future President of the US - or a fore-parent of the same - might be being incubated there as I speak.

One day I’ll look it up in Wiki…

http://comhaltas.ie/music/detail/memories_of_ballymote/

Nice version of the polka there.
It’s a bit different from the version you find in the session.org database. But that’s the beauty of this music. So many variations, so little time.
I love this tune for solo piping.
It has been a good one for me to work on my rhythmic regulator playing.

That version of the tune is known as Church Street over here in Aus. Not the same as the jig of that name in the database here…

Jig?
We’re talkin Polka here bc_box.

Yes, what I meant was there’s a jig in the database with the name “Church Street”. The tune that we Aussies call “Church Street” is the polka we’re talking about…

…knew I should have made it clearer when I typed it. 🙂

Ok, after all of that, he lilted the tune down the phone and it was “Memories of Ballymoate” after all…GREAT! *rolls eyes at sky*