Best key for solo tin whistle?

Best key for solo tin whistle?

Do some keys sound better than others for solo tin whistle? I know that D and C are the best keys for playing with people but does anyone have any favourite keys for playing solo?

Re: Best key for solo tin whistle?

Bb or low F

I quite enjoy playing both B and Bb whistles, although whistles in B can be hard to find. I would probably love playing on the Low F, if my Low F wasn’t such an out-of-tune piece of crap 😀

I quite like playing on an A whistle. It has such a gorgeous low sound yet not is too big for my little hands to be able to play. xxx

Favourite *keys*, you say? That rather depends on what *whistle* yoy choose to play, and also the mode in which the the tune is set.

Assuming a D (or low D) whistle:

Major - G or D
Minor - E or B
Dorian - A or E
Mixolydian - D or A

Other keys are possible on a D-whistle, but only with half-holing.

The keys listed above would of course be different is you were using a whistle with a different fundemantal note.

Mix O’Lydian- Yes, I meant what key the actual whistle is in.

Eb.

Posted by .

Re: Favourite key for solo tin whistle?

Low C

Posted by .

It depends on the tune.

Posted by .

I generally stick with what I know best, which is D, sometimes C, and more rarely Bflat. Too far from there, and the whistles start becoming a different instrument, with their own quirks, strengths and weaknesses.

low Eb or F

I think Bb is a great whistle key—not too high, not too low, just right.

Feadogmhor (now that you have clarified the question) - Bb

D. It sounds like a whistle.

of the point but the new british generations now only are decent in Bb

Agree - Bb and F. The Bb is a nice higher whistle (I hate playing a high D - too small & fiddly) and the F is a nice lower whistle without the difficulty of playing a low D.

And the Lord spoketh, saying that the key of the whistle shall be D!!! And when he saw what he had done, he was glad, and it was good. Amen.

Probably Bb. Easy both on the fingers and the ears and still ‘high’.
Haven’t played low whistles but the low D may be too quiet and difficult. One of our session people has a new Goldie low F which is loud and bright.

A set of tunes in A played on a high Eb. You can’t get that kind of happiness with a prescription.

low F