Last Night’s Fun

Last Night’s Fun

Has anyone else read Ciaran Carson’s wonderful book "Last Night’s fun"? It’s all about Irish music and sessions and it’s very well written.I cannot recommend it too highly.

Re: Last Night’s Fun

Breandan, you haven’t read it yet, have you?

Posted .

*snort* jocklet, Breandan is Professor Carson’s brother and a regular on the site. So he’s read it, yes. *grin* It *is* a very nice book, isn’t it? 🙂

Hey, my own wife doesn’t read my books….
🙂

Posted .

That’s because she can outhike you, Harmon. *grin*

Great book, I’ve been meaning to read it again.

This might sound totally wacky, but there quite a few of the most vividly delicious descriptions of eggs and bacon and sausage and stuff like that in that book; it’s remarkable. And I am completely vegetarian, too.

Posted by .

I haven’t, jocklet, but I think I’ll buy it as my Christmas present to me. I have a small "pocket" book called "Irish Traditional Music" by the same gent which is very good.

(Hey Andee, is there a special club for vegetarians with long dark hair who took up fiddle at (ahem) the age you and I did? Maybe we should start one! I’ll look forward to the food commentary 8>)

Posted by .

hey Tish! Glad to have a sister in vegetarianism/fiddleism out there! 🙂

Posted by .

Hey, if you want vegetarian fiddlers, you’ll like Celtic Spring: http://www.celticspringband.com A whole family of vegetarian fiddlers! BTW — jocklet, sorry but I have not read Last Night’s Fun.

-Max

Max.

All kidding aside, I’d send you my copy if I didn’t love it so much. I’m only sorry it took me this long to crack open. This should be the handbook of the young Irish musician! If I were to say, much like Kerouac’s On the Road, blah blah blah… but let’s not get carried away. It’s a slim volume, less than 200 pages in paperback, filled with poetry, dreamy soundscapes, lush descriptions & meaningful history of the tradition, told in an often non-linear & gorgeous style. You can pick up anywhere in it & be immediately captivated. Demand it for Christmas, & you’ll see what I mean. They’ll be thrilled to get you a book rather than another darn fiddle CD, heh!

I’m a second generation vegetarian - I don’t eat things that eat meat.
Trevor

Good idea Emily, all I’ve asked for Christmas so far is CDs. They would probably welcome the change. 🙂

-Max

great book, been on the end of a good fry more than once. However, there is a book in the making called "a piper in brazil" that excerpted(sp?) in the "The Piper’s Review" from the Irish Pipers’ Club in Seattle, WA, that brought tears of laughter to my eyes when I read it. The author is James Donal Faulkner ( can’t be all that bad with taht LAST name). Small print : I am not connected with , nor have I met the author, not do I recieve any $$…….

If I were in Hollywood, I’d get an option on the story right now…

Posted by .

I’ve just ordered "The Crossroads Conference by Crosbealach An Cheoil" - any good? (I hear the characters are quirky, but that the plot unravels towards the end 🙂

Posted by .

Hey Max, Celtic Spring sure are a gorgeous, healthy looking bunch of people!

Posted by .

I recall that every chapter is a different tune.
The conversations between session musicians are spot on,
‘Whats that tune called ?’ ‘Ask your father’..etc.
I must read it again.

That’s actually how my band got it’s name, that chapter. It was appropriate especially because none of us have a drop of Irish blood in us. That’s kind of hard to find in the States these days…

I’ve gone on record in a few places as saying that I think this is the best book about Irish music that’s yet been written. Because it isn’t just about the music. It’s about the shared experience of the music and all the things that come with it. It’s about smoking and smokescreens, tall stories and low dives, about signposts that have been deliberately switched to throw the unwary off the scent. Memories dredged up, seemingly at random, but all insightful. It’s a book that’s intensely personal and yet universal. And it’s immensely funny - a reminder to all of us that we can take the music very seriously but not lose our sense of humour. It’s a book that’s as important to me in my personal Desert Island Library as At Swim Two-Birds, The Third Policeman, The Green Fool and Tarry Flynn. And I don’t know of any higher praise …

Yes, I’ve read it. It’s great.I checked it out from the library,I’ll have to buy a copy.

Ooh… Good idea. I’ll have to check our library.

-Max

I bought a secondhand copy from Amazon.com marketplace for next to nothing.

Sorry. If anyone else WANTS to borrow it…

- got a bit of a blocked doze.

In a roundabout way, it’s a compliment that it has reached Oxfam, if you think about it.
1. It has reached a wide enough circulation to be recycled, alongside yer actual mass-selling pulp fiction.
2. It has reached a wide enough circulation for someone to have bought it, on spec, as it were, ie a member of the general public, but who upon finding they couldn’t quite fathom the idiosyncracies of an erudite sessioneer, "let it go" - in this case, fortuitously, to a loving home!

I’m glad that Aidan Crossey mentioned Flann O’Brian’s classic, At Swim Two Birds.It’s a book that should be mentioned in the same breath as Ulysses.It was dismissed by the literati when it was published,and still hasn’t received the recognition it deserves.

Last Nights Fun is a great Reel

Punch (!)

I thought I’d tack this on to an existing thread rather than starting a new one.

I became intrigued last night, whilst reading Carson’s Last Night’s Fun, by his description of "punch" in the chapter, The Humours of Whiskey. If you’ve not read this fine book, punch is a concoction of poteen, hot water and butter. Not having a proper poteen or other moonshine whiskey, (or whisky, if you prefer) I tried this with a shot of one of my lesser Speysides. To be perfectly honest, I was quite prepared to be repulsed by the smell of it alone, but in fact it was quite pleasing. With the forecast of another long, trying winter, I just may be sampling this again before the spring thaw.

BTW, I’ve been quite enjoying learning the tunes of each chapter’s title. (those of which I can find) I’m thinking together they would make up quite a nice session.

Sláinte,
Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada