Wickham Festival August 2010

Wickham Festival August 2010

I ve just stumbled across this festival in Hampshire. There seems to be a strong Irish contingent performing live but is this a good place for sessions too?

Posted by .

Re: Wickham Festival August 2010

We’ve been to this festival for the last four years, the last two being the same event but held at Stokes Bay. I don’t ever recall seeing a session on the festival site. Maybe some impromptu sessions spring up at the campsite or the local pubs but I haven’t seen one. Even if there was any session activity I doubt if it would be just Irish trad.

Anyway we’re going again and I’m looking forward to the Dervish and John McSherry sets and lots besides.

Went there many years ago and my experience was of no sessions.

It does raise a question for me: if you create or run a festival which is attended by people who are predominantly practitioners (ie, musicians) - aren’t you sort of getting it wrong if there’s not a chance to contribute?

Most musicians I know are not content just to be a passive audience.

This festival isn’t particularly aimed at musicians, but rather music lovers over a fairly wide range of genres. It’s a festival for chilling out, listening to some great music and, with any luck, enjoying a bit of fine weather. There’s plenty of time for sessioning throughout the rest of the year.

OK, thanks all. Will give it a miss. No wonder I hadnt heard of it before. Cheers

Posted by .