Our journey with these diddly notes

Our journey with these diddly notes

Somehow I found myself cruising thesession this evening and just wanted to say hello. I was a moderately active contributor here a while back now; in fact I was around when Jeremy first created this site, and I definitely remember Jeremy’s site before it become the mustard yellow incarnation it is today (although Jeremy will deny it, the “old” site was leprechaun green). I remember Will, Zina, Glouber, Kerri (who I had a crush on – there I said it!), Jack Gilder and many others. Some seem to be still active, but others not so much.

As for myself, I’ve been away from Irish music in general for a long while, for a lot of reasons I guess. But I have been playing again lately, in part because my dad passed away recently and the music is something familiar and comforting. My father was not especially into irish music; it’s not that he was against it, but it wasn’t his thing. Nevertheless, I did play a slow air – Cape Clear – at his funeral and I think he would have appreciated it. Rest in peace, Dad. You had a good run of it. I miss you very much.

I don’t see myself becoming active here again; time is precious in life and the less time I can spend in front of a computer screen the better. We’ll see. But this is definitely a great site and it holds a fond and indelible place in my journey with these diddly notes. My sincere thanks to Jeremy for all he has done. All the best to everyone here and with your journey with the music. And Kerri if you’re out there somewhere, maybe we can have some tunes together sometime?

Slainte, brendan

Re: Our journey with these diddly notes

What exactly do you mean? "diddly notes"

I do not like that term,it is an insult to great traditional music of

Ireland.

Long live Irish music,and the great people who play it.

Well done, gooseinthenettles:- another contributor who won’t be back.

Posted by .

Aw hey, the guy was only trying to be nice, and a bit nostalgic. Not my favourite term either, but no harm done. All the best to you as well Brendan.

sorry for being pedantic, but get it right. It’s diddley … as in whiskey. Diddly is that stuff that all sounds the same and is always in A … as in whisky.

Posted .

That’s right, llig, Bo Diddley. Who do you love, you Mona?

Brendan, condolences on your dad’s passing. Know that you have been in my thoughts too, along with the old crew here (didn’t we all have a crush on Kerri, sight unseen, at the very least for her lovely sense of humor? :-) ).

Life is good and short. Don’t worry about not wasting it here. Play tunes. Walk in the hills. Feck the eejit not pickers and begrudgers here and let’s have a few tunes sometime.

Will

Posted .

(erm…"nit pickers")

Posted .

Good on you. Tear into the tunes and enjoy the craic.

And Goose, get off your high horse and back in the nettles will ya?

Long live diddley!

Yeah, Around where I came from, the young one’s call us guy’s -
The Diddley Dee’s. And we don’t mind.
jim,,,

Gremlins and Arseholes ~

Will!!! ~ Brendan’s contribution brought a smile and it grew even wider when I got down to your contribution…

Music is such good medicine, including for letting us feel deeply our feelings, including loss. It is a blessing, however rough, and is good for us on its own, and good shared with friends, in good company. Even if neglected and set aside for a spell, it remains a constant need, in one form or another. Music has it all, down or up, loss or gain…

Thanks for coming back to say hi Brendan, and as always, welcome. And ditto, as usual, what Will says, but I don’t see anything wrong with the phrase ‘not pickers’, they too are real in the world of gremlins and arseholes… 8-)

Nots nits nets and gnats! Pickers all!

Condolences Brendan and I’m glad you found the music welcoming you back and comforting!

I’m with goosethenettles. It’s an insult to call the diddley diddly. Up wit the diddley. And the whiskey.

Crap old Glasgow joke:

Man goes into a butchers shop and says:
"Could I have a Steak and Kidley Pie please?"

Butcher says: "Don’t you mean a steak and KIDNEY pie?"

"Yeah that’s what I said" says the man.

"No, you said Steak and Kidley" says butcher.

Man replies: "Naw I didley!"

"Miss Lonelyhearts" eh Will? Ha ha ha, i was hoping to smoke you out (didn’t know your "new" name). Thank you and others for your kind thoughts. Didn’t think "diddly notes", er, I mean “diddley notes?” would cause a row (in reflection, it’s not a favorite or preferred term of mine either: slagging humbly accepted). In any case, whatever they are, i shall be trying to summon more of them from my whistle and flute. Let’s definitely have some tunes sometime.

All the best, brendan

Anything can lead to a row here…

I have updated my email in my profile, so if anyone is in the Washington, D.C., area and wants to have a tune or a beer, or a combination of both, drop me a line.

Alternate translation: Kerri, please contact me ;-)

Well, is it ok to use the three letter acronym ITM? Is that term offensive to the emotional grievance police?

Brendan, Sorry about your dad’s passing, but good to hear that you could celebrate his life in song. I do remember you from the old days, and like you, wish that Kerri still dropped by the website more often. ;-)

Or celebrate his life with an aire, I guess I should have said….but anyhow, good to hear from you again!

Don’t you use the word "diddley", along with a lot other, when lilting the music? At least from the few lilters I have heard, they all used diddley while lilting. Plus, it was just a lighthearted joke.

Hi Brendan,
I was a hardcore lurker back in those days. I’ve been quietly learning from this site behind the scene and just recently began posting when I feel the urge. Many condolences to you. May your grief pass quickly and the happiness he gave be the fuel for your future. Diddly diddley or not, there’s always joy to be found in the tunes no matter what flavor you prefer.

I thought it was diddleigh.

Aye well my old da died a few weeks ago as well - I wouldn’t have mentioned it on the discussion section but that brendan did, so we can both commiserate - and I was "fortunate" enough to visit him in hospital the day before he left us. I had just meant to pay a visit to my aging parents then head off to Croatia for a holiday/friends wedding. As he died while I was still in Glasgow I stayed the whole week helping my sister organise the funeral, so missed the holiday…well, I can go to Croatia nearly anytime, but I can’t postpone the da’s funeral. It turned out to be a small, spiritual and family send off for auld Fred Mackay, nearly 88. No Irish Trad music, but the Welcome was a Scottish folksinger lassie singing "A man’s a man for aw that" which was lovely because that was Fred’s ethos; Bing Crosby’s "Twilight on the Trail" was on when his body was taken from us. That was truly sad and also fitting for Freddie. But there ye go; as he would often say himself and I think was the last thing he said to me, he had a good innings.

Danny, i am very sorry for your loss. I am glad, though, you got to see him and I am sure your visit meant very much to him. My dad was going downhill with cancer and we knew the end was drawing near. I was able to make it to the hospital before the doctors withdrew life support, and I was able to be there when he expired and say goodbye. But he was already "gone" at that point; and wish I’d made it just one day earlier. Again, my condolences.

Brendan - my condolences to you too. It’s a tough one but we all have to go through it, losing parents. As long as we remember that time is the great healer. It really helps.
Many people have faith in God. I personally have my own spiritual views. These may or may not help in these times. My own spiritual views have not helped with the loss of my da but have kept me "centred". As it turned out I started a new job just Monday there, so that has kept me somewhat pre-occupied, so I;m moslty fine.
regards
danny

Just having played diddley tunes at the wake of a long-time session mate, I can say that there is healing in music.

It is music that brings us together and music that supports us in times of trial.

My condolences to all of you who have lost those important to you. I’ve played for services of parents, in laws and a step mother. It is never easy, but it is always helpful.

My thoughts with both you gentlemen. My own dad’s been ailing lately, and the music is a comfort to us all.

Re: Our journey with these dudley notes

I quite like calling it dudley dudley music.
(a) One of my names is..
(b) If I was a banjo botherer, it would remind me of the pleccing tecnique…