drop d accompaniment guitar tutorial videos (good ones please)

drop d accompaniment guitar tutorial videos (good ones please)

cant find any proper tutorials to show different chords being used and nice right hand rhythms

Re: drop d accompaniment guitar tutorial videos (good ones please)

I suggest you check out John Doyle’s backup instruction DVD

il keep that in mind but any stuff on youtube

yea, tradlessons does a good tutorial, shows u what chords to play in one video, then plays along with a reel in another video

The tradlessons site is mine. You can download a Drop-D chord chart from the site, but I honestly think you should make the investment and get the John Doyle DVD which includes a tunebook and chord chart for each of the tunes he goes over on the video.

You might also want to search on YouTube for videos with my friend Zac Leger. He’s spent a lot of time playing with John and is an amazing Drop-D as well as GDAD tuned bouzouki player.

michael do you know the high reel on whistle? i could use a tutorial, can’t find it anywhere!

John Doyle.

John Doyle, John Doyle, John Doyle, John Doyle, John Doyle, John Doyle, John Doyle, John Doyle, John Doyle, John Doyle, John Doyle, John Doyle, John Doyle, John Doyle, John Doyle, John Doyle, JOHN DOYLE.

That is all I have to say about that.

I really enjoy John Doyle’s dvd.

Zazzaliss - the OP asked for "nice right hand rhythms". Doyle’s out, he’s only got the one, and it’s not very nice at all.

Doyle teaches two basic rhythm patterns (one for reels, one for jigs), but listening to him play shows that he has thousands of variations—he is very good at fitting his patterns and variations to the particular tune. And I find almost 1462 of those variations very nice indeed.

My advice is don’t fool around—get Doyle’s DVD. And listen to all the other guitar players you can find as well.

Figure out your own, man (or woman,sorry). Develope your own style-ya might be the next John Doyle! Learn the tunes well and take it from there.

John Doyle also did a Guitar CD-ROM Tutorial for Mad for Trad. See link for further details http://www.madfortrad.com/

jon kiparsky….yeah . i felt john doyle was very robotic … uses lots of the fretboard though. im more interested in donogh hennessy and tim edey

Isn’t Donogh Hennessy in double drop D (DADGBD) and Tim Edey in DADGAD?

"Figure out your own, man (or woman,sorry). Develope your own style-ya might be the next John Doyle! Learn the tunes well and take it from there" saith Shanty.

I totally agree.

I’m a late-comer to this music, only in the past 5-6 months, after spending a life-time accompanying myself on folk and liturgical music, pretty much glued to standard tuning and first position, save for the random, barred f#min or g min chord.

At my first couple of sessions I thought, right, how hard could this be - three chords, and I might manage to put myself to sleep. Then I heard a few good Irish back-up players and said, wait, what’s going on here?! In short order, I researched and taught myself a few drop-d chords and runs - thanks in large part to Michael Eskin’s tradlesson site - and I’ve basically been going crazy, loving the the wide-open fingerboard, the slithery runs and full sound of drop-d. And, I have found that the basic chord structures in this tuning are not all that complicated.

The key, for me, has been to sit and play along with some of my favorite recordings- current obsession: Luck Penny/Old Man Dillon/Knights of St. Patrick, which I have also learned on fiddle. My method is to sit, and play and play and play , and listen and listen and listen, to go from strength to strength as I play along, over and over, after a while hearing more and being able to mimic more of what I hear. Or not, because the truth is, I sometimes hear things my own way, and this is my interpretation and developing style.

I recently bought John Doyle’s DVD - and while I am in total awe of the man - really, he’s phenomenal - I tried sitting through it and following the instructions and got so bogged down with rewinding, fast-forwarding, looking at the charts, etc. and after all, realized I knew most of the chords anyway and decided the best thing - *for me* - is to continue wood-shedding away, on my own, picking things up from people along the way while developing my own style.

Two of my favorite back-up guitarists are Cal Scott, who plays with Kevin Burke, and Zan McLeod, who plays with James Kelly. I find their playing to be fluid, easy to follow, and quite melodic.

So, I’m not really qualified, as a relative beginner, to give advice, necessarily, I’m just saying what has helped me, so far. But I do agree - learn the basics, and listen and play and play and listen and watch lots of YouTubes, but don’t get too hung up on doing everything exactly the way others play a tune. Do develop your own style.

My only problem, trying to learn both fiddle and guitar is, when I’m listening to recordings, I can’t decide which to focus on, the melody or the back-up. 🙂

AlBrown also has some good info in his bio.

I second the AlBrown reference. Very useful for teachers and students alike, Thank you Al.

Just wanted to weigh in here. This Zac Leger, whom Michael Eskin had mentioned (thanks for the plug, Michael!)
Banjitar, if you are interested, I am now teaching lessons over Skype. Yes, I can do the John Doyle stuff, but I have made it my mission to be able to play and teach pretty much any style of traditional Irish backing (and just as an aside, I know John, and he has a gigantic array of styles and picking that he utilizes; most people are only aware of the heavy rhythm most closely associated with him, but he is definitely not a one trick pony!) . I do everything from damped, syncopated playing (a la Doyle), to very delicate bouzouki style playing and anything in between. I have a huge range of picking patterns, chord voicings in various tunings (drop-D, DADGAD, double drop D, etc), dynamics and more that I can show you. My aim is not to teach you to play like me or like anyone else, but to give you as many different choices as possible, so you can develop your own style. However, I can certainly break down individual guitarists styles if you wish to analyze them and understand how they work.
It is not free, as teaching and performing are how I make a living, but I have had many happy students over the years who felt the investment was worth it, and my pricing won’t break your bank account. It will also be a challenge, as I will probably have you change certain things about how you hold the guitar, hold the plectrum, and how you move your right hand, but it is all based around getting as much as you can out of the instrument with as little physical motion as possible, with high dexterity and a clean sound. But, I am up for it if you are!
If you (or anyone else) are interested, send me an e-mail at zacleger@gmail.com
All the best and good luck with your playing! Getting the guitar to sound "right" in trad music takes time, but it is a lot of fun and well worth the effort.

Cheers,
Zac

I can’t do the big stretches that John Doyle voicings require. I’m comfortable in dadgad or standard.