Can we help this person?

Can we help this person?

I just received the following email. I don’t have an answer for him and thought the detectives from the mustard board might have a clue.
Hello John

My name is Nicholas and as a very young boy of 6 or 7 I used to see a music video (this was the late 70s when the form was very new) on the ABC featuring an amazing instrument I now know to be the bodhran.

The video was used as a breaker or time filler, and featured a three or four piece band, the band members wearing ´traditional´garments and there may have been dancing involved. The tune I have never forgotten.

I won´t whistle it for you here, as I´m in Guadalajara.

Do you happen to know what I´m talking about?

Nicholas Searle

Re: Can we help this person?

At least my seven year old has better tatse

Posted .

Waht sort of ‘traditional garments’? Would that be the traditional Australian shorts and grubby vest?

Define "help"?
There are all sorts of professionals in various modalities who can offer all kinds of "help" -

These may include, but are not limited to, psychoanalysis, past-life regression, waterboarding, electroshock treatments, caning, sleep deprivation, the Persian water torture, and even banjo lessons.

Posted by .

He needs to whistle the tune to you. Even I could work out a way of doing that and sending it and I know nothing.

Help through wig glue therapy…

Was it Charlie Drake and his Hot Water Bottle Stompers doing their legendry jamshed be-bop rendition of ‘My Boomerang Won’t Come Back’ to a special Francis Vincent Zappa arrangement featuring Ernest Tubbs (baritone euphonium), Leapy Lee (alpine horn) and the Dagenham Girl Pipers? Of course originally it was to have the massed Blythe Hill Goatskin Bashers but they were called away on the day of the recording by Benny Hill to contribute to ‘Little White Bull’ by Tommy Steele- SyrupStik supply direct from the Wanstead factory. If you listen to the stereo version using OOPs (out of phase) technology, you can hear Rolf Harris and Lemmy faahrting, playing backwards harmonium and talking loudly in F mixolydian. Much as I love Matt Monro and Capt Beefheart’s collaborations in the same vein, one can’t forget their fabulous Potter’s Wheel quadruple album with added B&W tele bits.

Wrong ABC.

Posted by .

And where is Guadalajara?

This looks like a job for (dum dum duuuum!) Captain Wind-Up!

Guadalajara Bay.
That’s where they take session.org wind-up terrorismos, isn’t it?

…and session.org desperados too.

Well spoken fot his age, I smell a wind up.

there’s more wind-up here than an air raid siren altogether now.

I believe it was a side project of the legendary U.S. rock and roll outfit known as KISS. Peter Criss on bodhran. Yaaaaaaayyyyyy!

"Well spoken for his age" … if this refers to "Nicholas", the quote in the OP was that Nicholas said he was 6 or 7 in the late 70s, so that puts him in his late 30s, or possibly very early 40s, now.

don’t speak too soon, ramiro.

Isn’t there also a Guadalajara in Mexico?

Guadalajara is in Mexico. And it’s not particularly surprising, for me, to hear a question like this. The Irish are part of Mexican history and even helped Mexico fight against the USA during the Mexican-American War of 1846 to 1848. As a matter of fact, there are several streets and some establishments in Tijuana which I can attest to the fact have Irish names, including O’Higgins (I have relatives, who, in TJ, live on O’Higgen’s street…at the end of the street, is a hotel being used as a makeshift barricaded police station). So, again the question is not particularly surprising although admittedly obscure…

I do not know the tune you ask about Senor McKnowall, but good luck in finding your answer!

I wrote to the ABC and their archivist sent me a reply …

¨I believe that that particular clip was for a Mike Oldfield’s ‘Portsmouth’ (female Morris dancers, ye olde instruments getting the odd close up), the ABC ran the clip as a filler in the 70s/even into the early 80s. I hope that this helps.¨

… and what´s amazing is that he was hardly snide or demeaning at all!

Thanks John, and Senor Whistle. The rest of you can get <comment deleted>

PS the song is ´Portsmouth´arranged by MIke Oldfield, available at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycuT9iFPAvo

I didn’t know the bodhran was a traditional English instrument.

"… and what´s amazing is that he was hardly snide or demeaning at all! "

No, they would not be.
Anyway, the archivist at the ABC was probably there when the clip was running back in the 70s and 80s. Bless ‘em.

" I didn’t know the bodhran was a traditional English instrument."

Oh yes. It’s every bit as much part of the English tradition as synthesisers, electric bass and female morris dancers.

The Irish are part of Mexican history and even helped Mexico fight against the USA during the Mexican-American War of 1846 to 1848.

It wasn’t really ‘The Irish’ (as in Ireland-the country-it’s government-it’s people) but a US Army brigade brigade consisting of Irish immigrants and Irish Americans who were sent down to fight against Mexico but saw it for the land grab that it was and turned against the US. Huzzah to them for doing the right thing!

This concludes todays history lesson you may go back to bashing bodhrans….

Yes. The town itself is named after the famous Irish revolutionary Guadal O’Hara, but the spelling has since been mexicanised…this is true, isn’t it?

Strange how all the blokes in the band look exactly the same, but a ripper tune.

That’s fun! Nice visual ideas too - I love the halo effect of the window behind him when he’s playing the kettledrums…