Nervous beginner fiddler

Nervous beginner fiddler

Hi All, just wondering what is the lowest standard you can be before joining in on sessions.
I’ve been playing fiddle for about two years, but have long periods of not much practice etc. I can now play about 20 tunes reasonably jigs/reels/slides, I attend a slow session in my music school which are fine but would love to start proper sessions in pubs etc.
Do you think its too early to join in and I should build up my speed/tune list? I don’t want to start annoying people by slowing down their session!
Thanks for all replies

Posted by .

Re: Nervous beginner fiddler

The lowest standard? Some of the sessions I’ve been at you would probably be in charge. The best judge of whether or not to join in is yourself. If there’s a tune you know, join in, if not, listen. And keep practising.

Posted by .

gam said it all. Now watch for another twenty posts saying much the same thing, and not nearly as succinctly.

Join your ears to a session, there’s no limitation there other than a little basic respect and consideration, and a heart for it…

Once you and your ears have a sense of it, then you can start learning some of the local repertoire, and if they’re decent folk, you’ll get asked to contribute too, and they’ll let you have it your way, at a relaxed tempo if you need, without pushing… But there are always exceptions… πŸ˜‰

Good ears, respect, which it seems you already have, and just a few tunes, that’s all you should need, listen well to the rest…

Go to Session’s Now — I went to Miltown Malbay — With 4 tunes on the fiddle when I first started - Oh and an old Hitachi’s Tape recorder, Mic and all… A great Fiddler I new there, Andy Dickson
{ sorry about the name dropping }— Played my only 4 tunes for me
Bless him… But the best thing I done there was ” Watch and Listen ” to what the good fiddlers like Andy where Doing…
jim,,,

Thanks for all your quick replies, Really looking forward to starting now.
πŸ™‚

Posted by .

That’s the stuff. Have fun.

Yeah, get stuck in. Introduce yourself as a nervous beginner. The most important thing is to be honest. And the next most important thing is to make friends. The music means nothing, it is a hollow shell, without these prerequisites.

Posted .

Generally, most sessions will slow down for a set or two for a beginner, and it is great to listen to the stuff you can’t play. Like everyone is saying, jump right in and enjoy!
Everyone at the session has been a beginner, and made mistakes, so don’t be afraid to do the same as you learn!

Michael, you wouldn’t be implying anything about how folks comport themselves on the mustard board, too, now, eh? πŸ˜‰

Posted .

Just echoing the previous comments - go now!

My mandolin and I have been at it less time than you have. I’ve just started going to sessions and thoroughly enjoy the experience. It may be that I only get to play two or three tunes that I know, but also start picking up parts of other tunes. In fact at a recent workshop weekend I had more success in the "normal" session than in the slow session, just due to the selection of tunes played. You would quite probably find the same I think, just so long as you keep the volume down so that "experiments" don’t put others off.

Lovely Llig ~ introduce yourself as a nervous beginner, get their sympathy, be honest, make friends, but come on, music, yes, it is richer by these things, but it exists outside of the bullsh*t, it will be with me carrying me wherever when my time comes to its conclusion. But I like your prerequisites for a ‘good time’, absolutely and important part of what is meant by ‘craic’, in a social and community and inclusive way. But music, nope, while it might echo depending on the context, it ain’t a holow shell, and it will always have meaning no matter who respects it or abuses it… But what you said, very nicely put, and I’ve been smiling all he way down to here… πŸ™‚

Sadly Al, some folks do start out in the world thinking they already know it all, or quickly pushing past their past, putting any of the roughness and trials behind them ~ and forgetting that they too had to start somewhere… Some nut cases, well, to hear them, it almost sounds like immaculate conception, and more men seem to suffer such delusions than anyone else…

Things to avoid ~ in ‘phantom button’s’ absence ~ try not to noodle, or at least not too much or too loudly. For more on this, do a search of our discussions for ‘noodling’…

Ah, thanks for that Random. There’s some great advice on that thread for a beginner. Just rip your shirt off, dive in and shove your hand right down the throat. Good stuff.

It takes a long time to learn how to play fiddle. Might as well start
going now, otherwise you might have to wait 10 years - - -

sit down play any tune you know listen if you dont .and most important have fun