What are your favourite tunes? Give me an reel, jig, air, hornpipe, barndance etc.

What are your favourite tunes? Give me an reel, jig, air, hornpipe, barndance etc.

Give me a few not just one, I’m interest! 🙂

Re: What are your favourite tunes? Give me an reel, jig, air, hornpipe, barndance etc.

i like paddys trip to scotland (reel), blarney pilgrim (jig), the lonesome boatman and south wind (air), off to california (hornpipe) and the new broom (barndance). 🙂

Re: What are your favourite tunes? Give me an reel, jig, air, hornpipe, barndance etc.

THANK U! james 🙂 🙂

Mine are The Knotted Cord and Morning Star reels, Morrison’s Jig and The kid on the Mountain slip jig, Inisheer ad Carrickfergus Slow Airs, The Echo Hornpipe, and Bantry Bay Barndance

Neither inisheer nor carrickfergus are what traditional irish musicans would term "slow airs" which means the airs of sean nos songs, or tunes in a similar style, but rather just airs or song airs, or if you must, slower pieces.

Posted by .

I didn’t ask for a correction! I asked what your favourite tunes were? :(

I’ll answer, provided it’s acknowledged that in ten mins, I’ll give different answers:
reel: spike island lasses
jig: sport
hornpipe: the groves
air: don’t know the name of it, but even if I did, I wouldn’t stand a cat in hell’s chance of being able to spell it.
barndance: That’s like asking a football fan what his fave tiddlywinks player is.

Posted .

Most of my favourite tunes are marches, but here’s a cross-section of my favourites:

reel: Stone of Destiny
jig (slip): Timmy Collins
jig: The Mist-Covered Mountain
air: Wounded Hussar (all of them)
barndance: none
march: Beauties of Autumn

Reels: The Virginia, Bird in the Bush, George Whites, Music in the Glen

Jigs: Rose in the Heather, Father O’Flynn’s

Hornpipe: Leitrim Fancy

Slide: Eileen O’Riordin

Polka: Newmarket

This week.

My favorite tune is the jig Out on the Ocean.
I have been having a lot of fun lately learning Johnny McIljohn’s, what a nice little reel.

My favorites are:

Reels- Father Kelly’s, Rolling In The Ryegrass, Miss McLeod’s

Jigs- Blackthorn Stick, Blarney Pilgrim, Humors of Ennistymon

I play them all the time and never get tired of them.

don’t really have any favourites tbh, too many to choose imho

But i am very partial to Edorian reels and A mix jigs for some reason, though really it’s too hard to pick one

couple of examples

Lafferty’s
Tom Billy’s Jig
Maids of Mt Kisco
Cooley’s Reel
Mist Covered Mountain
Humours of Rossbeigh
Humours of Lissadell
Toss the Feathers (both versions)
Across the Black River
Cuilinn O Chaomh

ah i could go on.. too many to list

Posted .

This week’s favorites are:

Sweeney’s Buttermilk - Reel
Young Tom Ennis - Jig
Humours of Kilkenny/Drops of Springwater - slip-jig set

But I never get tired of playing Dr O’Neill’s double jig…

Right now, I’d have to say…

Favorite reel- The Morning Thrust (James Ennis tune)

Favorite jig- Probably either Mist on the Mountain or Helvic Head…

Favorite slip jig will always be Farewell to Whalley Range… at least for now.

Favorite hornpipe is the Independence… something about a lot of scales and triplets… it’s just so fun!

Favorite barndance- The Hills of Tara… always will be, I think. Great flute tune.

Favorite air- This is probably the hardest one… I think probably right now my favorite air is either Brian Finnegan’s "Last of the Stars"… just gorgeous. My friend David (whose on here, as well) wrote an air that I quite like, as well.

Just like anybody though, it changes probably by the day or week… as my friend Steve would say, my favorite tune is always the one I just learned…..

I’m thinking that people around here probably think the Bank of Ireland is my favorite tune. They might be right, I haven’t checked lately. It’s a bit of an odd question, isn’t it? A bit like asking what my favorite single-malt is. The answer to that is, if you have an answer you probably don’t drink enough single-malts. Or maybe it’s like asking what language I prefer to program in… depends what I’m trying to do, what itch I’m trying to scratch.

I know, I’m just being difficult, Mark. You just want names of good tunes to learn. Okay, my favorite jig is the Cook in the Kitchen (followed by the now-infamous McFadden’s Inflatable Girlfriend, which I won’t be posting here, but I’ll be happy to play it for you). Favorite hornpipe is probably Chief O’Neill’s. Reel? Bank of Ireland, I guess, unless it’s the Custom House, which it might be. Favorite slipjig? Probably the one I play before Drops of Brandy, but I can’t remember the name just at the moment, so I’ll say it’s Hardiman the Fiddler, which is also excellent and has the advantage that I can remember the name. Favorite polka, of course, is the Finnish Polka, but that’s because I’m a closet Finnish nationalist. (My favorite member of the Rat Pack? Sami Davis, Junior… sorry…) I can’t remember the names of any of the slides I like more than O’Keefe’s, so my favorite slide is O’Keefe’s. Which O’Keefe? Depends, I’ve seen it as Art O’Keefe’s, Dan O’Keefe’s, and a few others. It’s a mystery.

So that’s about it - I know exactly a strathspey and a half, and 3/4 of a barndance, so I’ll leave those be, but there’s some favorites for you.

My favorites tend to fluctuate.
Right now I’m partial to these,
The Three Merry Sisters - Reel
The Humors of Ballyloughlin - Double Jig
Willies First Slip - Slip Jig
Port na bPuchai - Air
Pol Ha Penny - Hornpipe

For the moment…Musical Priest on whistle, Paddy on the Turnpike or Gravel Walk on banjo, Mist covered Mountain or Tripping Upstairs on banjo. And I’ve yet to hear an Irish polka I didn’t like. Any tune I can manage to squeeze out of a concertina( about four) is also my favorite. Also made up a jig yesterday at breakfast while watching my wife eat strawberries. I called it ‘Strawberries for Breakfast’ (pretty original huh?) and it has become one of my favorite tunes. Funny how they can be so addictive.

Reels: Roscommon Reel, Johnny Harling’s, Maids of Mt.Cisco, Bag of Spuds, Templehouse

Jigs: Mist Covered Mountains, Gallagher’s Frolics, Tripping Up the Stairs

Airs: Parting of Friends, An Buachaillin Ban

Hornpipes: Rights of Man

Slip Jigs: Farewell to Whalleyrange, Kid on the Mountain

My current list of favored tune candy:

Reels: On The Lam, Boston Blues, Anne Lacey’s Reel, Maggie’s Pancakes, Paddy Kelly’s

Jig: Amy’s Rollerskates, Seanamac Tube Station, Hungry Rock, A Sore Point

Hornpipe: The Soporific, Ship on the Waves

Air: Cape Clear

Waltz: Pearl on the Strand, The Narrows, Lakeside

I don’t know the names of many of the tunes I play, so they end up with names that I give them, AKA ‘the folk process’.

@JosephC: The Morning Thrust? That’s a bit freudian, eh? I think you’ll find James Ennis named it in honour of a different kind of bird!

@Markmoloney: "You can’t always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, well, you might find, you get what you need."

Posted by .

A short list of some fairly recent discoveries of mine which I think are great:

Jig: Morgan Rattler
Reel: The Road To Cashel (Charlie Lennon)
English 2/4 Reel: Jack Robinson
Scandi Thingy: Tuolpagorni
Rhythmic Air: Leaving Stoer
Hornpipe: Hamnataing
(N.B. - The above is one of a Scottish type of hornpipe that seems to go more like a 2/4 pipe march.)
Polka-type 2/4 Tune: Red-Haired Mary
Slip Jig: Allery Burn (Kathryn Tickell)
3/2: Lads And Lasses, If You Will Not Have Me You May Let Me Go
Song Air: How Can I Live At The Top Of A Mountain
Waltz: Nar Dagsmilda Kjem (Norwegian, though to me it has a very Scottish flavour).

That’s a few of them, anyway. I can by no means play them all properly, as yet!

Morgan Rattler’s a great tune. A good guitar picking tune, I find.

Reel - The Colliers, Bunch of Green Rushes
Jig - Tell Her I Am, Strayaway Child
Hornpipe - Murphy’s
Slide - This Is My Love, Do You Like Her
Polka - The Finnish
Strathspey - The Iron Man

"Etc" allowed, huh? OK. The Heiliger Dankgesang from Beethoven’s quartet in A minor.

Reels: Jude’s Bush, Holms of Ire
Jig: The Camel’s Hump
Hornpipe: Kansas City Hornpipe
March: Lochanside
Air: Tam Hughes
Strathspey: The Duke of Gordon’s Birthday
Waltz: The Black Mask
Polka: If There Weren’t any Women in the World

A hard one to answer, so I’m going to pick just a couple from each category that remind me of good times past when I play them.
Jigs - The Woman with the Hairy Knees - The Lark on the Strand
Reels - The Mooncoin and the Scholar
Hornpipes - Showman’s Fancy - The Honeysuckle
Barndances - The Yellow Haired Laddie - The Man from Newry
Slip Jigs - The Foxhunters - Hardiman the Fiddler
Set Dances - The Downfall of Paris - The Blackbird
Marches - O’Kanes No 1 - O’Kane’s No 2
Waltzes - Reine de Musette - The Agnes Waltz
Polkas - The Balintore Fisherman - The Martelette Polka
Kerry Style Polkas - Bill Sullivan’s - The Knocknaboul
Air - The Spining Wheel - Ashokan Farewell

I agree with the tranistional aspect of favourite tunes but here’s mine:

Reel: The Torn Jacket
Jig: Miss Planxty Brown
Hornpipe: The Birds
Slip Jig: James Byrne’s
Barndance: The Ballroom Favorite #2
Polka: Church street
Air: Easter Snow (Paul McGrattans take & my only air)
Strathsey: James Scott Skinners - Jimmy Lyons

So, some of these might not be considered ITM, but oh well:

Reel: Toss the Feathers
Jig: Tenpenny Bit or Lark in the Morning
Hornpipe:Off to California
Slip Jig: I have no idea what the actual name is… it’s off a dance CD, and I believe they call it Claire’s
Barndance: I would just play some bluegrass probably… "hoe downs"
Polka: Ryan’s or Finnish
Air: anything by O’Carolan and Twisting the Hay Rope
Strathsey: Highland Classic or 91st at Modder Station

That’s a slide, this is the current polka that’s haunting me, in a good way of course:

https://thesession.org/tunes/1841

I don’t really play favorites, I usually just linger over the ones that stuck in my head last.

OK, maybe The Salamanca is still my favorite reel.

My favourite tune is the one I’m currently playing!!! But if I had to choose -

Reel: Swinging on a Gate, Father Kelly’s No 1, Paddy on the Turnpike, Gravel Walks, Congress
Jig: Tripping Up the Stairs, Hills of Glenorchy, Cook in the Kitchen
Hornpipe: Rights of Man
Polka: Ryan’s
Air: Dark Island, Beautiful Point Aconi, Blue Bonnets Over the Boarder,
March: The Farewell, Welcome to the Trossachs
Strathspey: Calum Breugach, Duke of Gordon’s Birthday, Dusky Meadow, Braes of Tullymet

And the list goes on……..

Posted by .

oops, I mean Miss Ann Moir’s Birthday instead of Duke of Gordon’s, but that’s a great little tune as well!

Posted by .

Reels: Road to Errogie, Pressed For Time, Jack Daniels, Mozart on the Rampage.
Jigs: Simon Thoumire’s, Dram Behind the Curtain, Jimmy Ward’s.
Hornpipes: Zeeto the Bubbleman, the Blackbird(Manchester Hornpipe), Kansas City.
Slip Jig: the Grinder, Beaton’s Blue Bonnet.

Favourites change from week to week but a few that seem to be eternal for me are
Jigs- the rolling wave, o’briens, the metal bridge, the monaghan, the three sea captains
Reels - the ormond sound, callaghans, the humours of lisadell
the taproom, trip to birmingham, salute to baltimore
Hornpipes - alexander’s, off to california, harvest home, the home brew.

Having just posted those above I’ve now thought of others that I think I like more, so my favourites actually change from minute to minute 😉

@ Steve Smith: You got that right!

Err…Steve Shaw. Never do things too late at night :(

reels OldCopperplate
Hornpipes,Chief Oneills, Home Ruler, Liverpool.
SetDances RodneysGlory
jigs BushOn TheHill
Polka,Lucy Farrs

Posted .

reel-the stony steps .jig-maids of glenroe.air-o donnels lament.hornpipe-plains of boyle.barndance padraig o keefes .polkas the upperchurch polkas