6 String Banjo Reels - Looking for Feedback

6 String Banjo Reels - Looking for Feedback

Hello all,

Posted a youtube of me playing 4 reels on guitar a while back and go some very useful feedback. Have tried to work on a lot of it and recorded a set of 3 reels on 6 string banjo, guitar tuning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2vrJb_ydPY

I’m still getting the hang of putting in triplets so I didn’t go overboard with them here to make sure I didn’t go out of time.

For reference, I used to sound like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM5E7ReTfaI

Posted by .

Re: 6 String Banjo Reels - Looking for Feedback

If I were you I would slow right down until I could get every note in comfortably. Allow yourself enough time for the pick to coincide with the finger pressing the string. When you are playing fast, you only have milliseconds, and if they don’t hit exactly together, you get a stumbling block. fast playing is not just about dexterity, it’s timing and coordination. Nice sounding banjo.

Posted by .

Paudy - it’s obvious you’re putting in the time and effort - good for you. My question is, why a 6 string banjo? I realise your background is with guitar, but if you’re serious about having a go at Irish music, playing the melody, and the banjo, why not dive right in with a tenor? It seems a 6-string banjo is a curious half-step to where you want to be - unless you use it for some other genre of music as well.

Paudy, your fingers are moving away from the neck a lot, try putting your thumb in the middle of the back of the neck and place each finger about 1 cm above strings at frets 2 3 4 5. , this is ‘home’ position Hitting the B requires a shift. Good man, keep it up.

Thanks for the advice all.

Will try that later Spellbreaker thanks.

gam, I think my problem sometimes is the opposite, if I don’t play at a certain rythym my fingers don’t find the notes! I tried to start this set slow but I do notice that I speed up a little during the set. I’ll try and work on it a lot slower and hopefully get the timing right for all the notes, thanks.

Jusa Nutter Eejit, cool name btw, yeh I guess I want to hold on to all the tunes I’ve learned in standard guitar tuning and aim to play them wherever amplified or in a quiet environment. I co-lead a Thursday night session with a few friends where I’m always keen to play the tune rather than accompanying chords but I know that my friends very much appreciate my particular accompaniment style with their playing so I had often been settling for starting a set with notes and progressing into chords. I tried to play as much banjo as possble Thursday and the banjo carries nicely and drives a rythym too so the concept is I can lead the session when needed and then drop back to chords on guitar whenever. It does mean bringing 2 instruments along sadly :( I know a lot of folks know tunes in both tuning regimes but I haven;t got there yet, everytime I borrow a 4 string I can only play the Tam Lin and the Teetotaller reels without getting confused. One other major deciding factor was that a very nice fella that plays banjo at my local session gave me this banjo on loan for as long as I want to try it out because he hasnt been playing it so much, this has allowed me the time with it without having to spend a lot of money, one of the things that had been putting me off switching to banjo.

Red Robin, Gloria sounds lovely on guitar, i’m certainly not at that standard yet. I listen to a lot of Arty McGlynn and John Carty (tenor guitar) and picking up my guitar is always disappointing after that. Anyone who plays banjo or guitar tunes, I’d recommend John Carty’s "I Will if I Can" album, I find his tempo very agreeable on a lot of the sets and it’s always nice to have the dual pleasure of listening to good music while playing along to it.

Posted by .

Paudy - I can offer no decent argument to battle against "use of a banjo for free" LOL. Sounds like you have things well in hand. I hope someday fortune allows you to acquire a tenor as well. I’m guessing it wouldn’t take long for you to make the switch. Once you do, there’s no going back… 😉