I’am thinking of going to the session at the Bugle inn down in brighton, anyone go there?

I’am thinking of going to the session at the Bugle inn down in brighton, anyone go there?

bit of advice on what gets played instruments etc…

Re: I’am thinking of going to the session at the Bugle inn down in brighton, anyone go there?

I went there a couple of times few years back. It was predominantly, if not entirely, Irish trad. There was a banjo and fiddle player (Roger Leach), a box player (Tom ?), a whistle and guitar player (John Brewer) and a fiddler (Ben Paley - also a very accomplished player of Swedish fiddle music). There was also a harp player, but she went to study traditional music in Limerick, so she’s long gone from Brighton. I was told a pianist (Bing Lyle) also sometimes played there, although he was not present when I was there.

Re: I’am thinking of going to the session at the Bugle inn down in brighton, anyone go there?

Thank you! were they open to new people joining in? Sounds like it is of a high standard.

"were they open to new people joining in? Sounds like it is of a high standard."

I would say that they were serious about making good music. So long as you share this ideal, I can’t see why you would not be welcome. Since you have been playing 10 years, then I assume you can play your instruments; being mindful of the fact that others in the session might have been playing twice or three times as long as you, and paying due deference is surely enough. I was made welcome, but my experience is perhaps not much to go on, as I had met some of the musicians before - and it was at least 7 years ago that I was last there. But the only way to find out is to try it.

Indeed it is. I think am just building it up a bit too much, have visions of getting my head bitten off for asking to play! ha

Just keep your head down while you play. You’ll be fine.

to put things in perspective here, the Creadur himself is a very handy and respected player, even if he’s being a tad modest on this thread. but that said the answer is to go along, sit it out quietly and join in if you - and they - feel like it.

Where is Brighton?

Posted by .

Where is Brighton?
Some say Brighton is where it’s at…

Ah, Brighton.

I’ve never been there, but my researches tell me the following:

It’s 60-odd miles due South of London, on the South Coast of England.

Its modern history began when the colossally dissolute Prince Regent (later George IV) elected to make it his love nest and pleasure dome. Even by the standards of English/British royals before and after him, his dissolution was colossal.

This, of course, impelled polite society to flock there.

So, it’s a resort. The only industries are having sex, eating, drinking, shopping and doing bits of art and music. There’s nothing else to do there.

Well, party conferences happen there, but I assume their agenda is more or less the same as above.

The IRA bombed the Tories in 1984, and mods and rockers fought pitched battles here in the 50s, 60s. The pier keeps burning down. Otherwise, nothing has ever happened there.

Accordingly, it tends to rank very high in lists of best cities / towns to live in, in the UK. This accolade, though, may be tempered by considering what a lot of the rest are like. Maybe Brighton is the nearest thing in England to San Francisco.

These notes are hardly the last word, and may attract brickbats!

are there any flute players there

Yes. At least one.

The nearest to Brighton I’ve been is Hastings.

It was rotting and full of twitchy psychotics.

Brighton has to be better than that.