Tune precognition or I.T.M.E.S.P.

Tune precognition or I.T.M.E.S.P.

I’m curious to see if this phenomenon has happened to anybody else; prior to attending your weekly (daily?) session, you are working on/ playing a tune that is either new to you, or that you haven’t "dusted off" in some time. It’s not just any common tune, either; it’s a tune that doesn’t make the rounds often, a rare gem, or a very particular setting. Later at your session, that very tune is started by another session member without ANY prior discussion or prompting from you! This has happened to me more times than I can remember, and it still freaks me out every time- it’s kinda spooky if you think about it. So, am I alone in my "Psychic Connection", or is this a widespread thing? This should be interesting…

Re: Tune precognition or I.T.M.E.S.P.

Jay, you are alone. Utterly, tragically alone. Sooooooo alone.

Posted .

😀

Posted .

LOL

You’re traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. Next stop, The Tunelight Zone!

Dude! I was about to post this same thread before you kicked it off! Now that is FREAKY…

It’s not so spooky when you realize that we exist only so the tunes have someone to play them. See, the tunes are out there, floating around the ether like those glowing dandelion-seed jellyfish thingies in Avatar, wanting to be played. 15,000 of them wafting on the breeze. And there are 9 billion of us. Do the math. With so few tunes and so many people, it’s bound to happen that the same tune gets played at the same time by several people at once.

That’s my theory and I’m sticking to it. 😎

Posted .

LOL, sides starting to hurt…but seriously, anybody? It has even happened to some of my session buddies, so I know it’s not just me. Localized, maybe?

9 billion Irish musiscians??!?! Wow, this stuff has gotten alot more popular than I thought! Otherwise, methinks I see a flaw in yer theory…

Jay - I totally subscribe to Harmon’s theory about tunes in the ethos waiting to mind-meld with a musician in 3D, with all the same production values you’d find in a film James Cameron.

As for me, I don’t know any rare tunes - apparently every one I learn and think is some exotic rare melody is as common as wet grass to everyone else. Be that as it may, I have been in sessions thinking of a tune, and suddenly by coincidence someone across the table starts it up as if our minds were connected. That IS kinda cool.

That should be "James Cameron film." talking backwards am I.

Jay, maybe your session mates are inveterate tune-aholics, and they simply know *all* the tunes. So no matter what you learn, they’re always an O’Neill or two ahead of you.

(The O’Neill is a standard CCE unit of measurement equal to 1,001 tunes.)

Posted .

Jay, the tunes don’t limit their vessels to the Irish.

Last winter I vacationed in Papua New Guinea. We were deep in the jungle three days hike from Nenartimun and the rain was pelting the leaves right off the acacia trees overhead—you couldn’t see three feet in any direction. When I hear this strange yodeling sound, not unlike the mating call of the Yellow-headed Pecuniary bower bird. Only deeper. Then, parting the curtain of rain, a small man stepped out of the brush, crossed our path, and vanished again, yodeling all the while.

"Whale oil beef hooked," I thought to myself. "That was The Humours of Scarrif he was lilting!"

So it’s more common than you’d think.

Posted .

A few years ago, I walked into the pub and they were playing a tune 2 days before I wrote it.

I knew you were going to say that, strayaway.

Yes, I knew that you knew, maybe you could start up "The humours of Gortnalee", I’m going to write it tomorrow.

Uncanny! I’ve just been playing that!

Posted by .

Yes, I rather like your version of it, I’m going to leave out some of the triplets when I write it, tho.

Yeah, I got them off Canny’s version (‘ang on, I thought I said it was "UNcanny" - blimey these coincidences just keep on multiplying, don’t they?). A bit over the top I thought, but I didn’t want to argue with you over them. Well, not before you’d written it anyway …

I especially like that little twist leading into the turn …

Posted by .

I just knew this thread was going to get silly. And yes, I knew that you all knew that I knew it too.

I know

Posted by .

Amazing concept.

I have trouble enough recognizing tunes I know within 8 bars when someone starts and takes them to session speed.

I don’t know if my "Damn, I know that" at bar 6 or 7 moment counts as ESP 😉

That was a mistake, I’ll correct it when I write it.

No, it’s blue.

Posted by .

I love her dearly, but my friend said more than once last night, "Now there’s a fine tune! Amazing we never played it before." Although, in every case, they were tunes we had played before. But, ya’ know, they say it will be legal come the next election.

Posted by .

I’m signing off now, gotta write that bloody tune you’re all playing.

Good man. We’ll have learned it by the time you’re done.

LOL, this reminds me of the time Zina learned a tune that John Carty had just penned from John himself at one of his workshops. She emailed me the abcs and three days later he was prepared to teach it at a workshop here in Montana. After he introduced it, I started playing it. The look on his face was priceless.

Posted .

One night recently, a friend and I both decided to add a polka to the set we were playing, and flawlessly and simultaneously went into the same new tune at the same time, no previous planning involved!
Now, both of us have been playing together for a long time, know a lot of tunes in common, and there are a finite number of tunes that followed the previous one well. But even with that being said, it was pretty amazing.

That’s awesome Al, love when that happens. The Vulcan Tune Mind Meld.

I think George Noory is looking for you guys.

Noory wouldn’t want me on C2C. I’m not psychic, not an apocalyptic fundamentalist, and I was once a professional circus clown (he has a phobia). Not that I’d want to participate in his show anyway….

Posted .

OK jay, I’ll try to give you a serious answer.

This has happened to me a number of times. But you can’t place much stock in it being anything other than something that fits well within the norm of statistical probability.

We, as humans, tend to pay a lot of attention to things that seem "outside of the norm", and especially to things that seem coincidental. Your natural reaction is to think "oh my god, what are the odds that this would have happened???". But in that case, you’re actually not taking into account either the actual odds, or the fact that the occurrence fit well within the odds. When something coincidental happens, you don’t take into account the thousands of times that *nothing* coincidental happened. Your mind focuses on the one that did.

And we tend to underestimate odds. For instance, look at the birthday odds. If you are in a room with only 9 other people, there is almost a 12% chance that you’ll share the same birthday with one of those people. But our brains tell us that there are 365 days in a year, and we haven’t really met many people that were born on the same day of the year as us, so the odds must be astronomical!

So if you look at it mathematically, I think it fits well within the realm of probability that this would happen. And that is compounded by the fact that we tend to play music with the same people repeatedly. So even if we haven’t played a tune in years, if we played it with those other people at some point years ago, and there was some stimulus for you to think of playing it again, there’s a good chance that another person had a similar stimulus. So that reduces the odds significantly.

But even if that isn’t the case, it would still happen. And when it does, your brain goes "oooh, that’s *freaky*"

Now, having said all that… It’s cool when it happens, isn’t it?

This kind of stuff happens to me all the time, sometimes more often than others. Sometimes, so often it’s disconcerting. I think it’s called synchronicity.

I often am either thinking about a word or hearing it on the radio while at the exact same time, seeing it straight in front of me on a sign.

One of the weirdest instances of this was the day I was sweeping my floor. In those days, I had a large aviary with canaries and finches - god what a mess - anyway, I was sweeping the floor, the door was open, and a gust of wind blasted through the open door, scattering the bird feathers I was trying to sweep - at the exact moment that the radio was playing a song whose lyrics were, "like feathers in the wind."

Will - so, you’re not a Coastie - that’s okay, some say it was better when Art Bell was the host. I do tune in on the occasional sleepless night (that’s how I can tell if my life is going well, if I haven’t heard c2c lately). It’s a pretty weird show - sometimes there are legitimate, interesting guests, other times, total whackos - the challenge is in discerning which is which. I did hear a snippet last night - but when they start talking about California dropping into the ocean (next month, allegedly), the radio goes immediately off (my daughter lives in LA).