Good Irish Session Tunes

Good Irish Session Tunes

Hey does anyone know of some really good Irish session tunes?

Re: Good Irish Session Tunes

All of them.

Posted .

Or you can click on the "Members" tab in the menu to your right and then click on "tunebook" for a list of tunes ranked by how many times they’ve been added to people’s tunebooks here. A measure of popularity.

Or you can click on my screen name at the end of this post and go to the links in my profile to lists of common reels, jigs, slip jigs, etc.

Or you can learn the tunes they play at your local session.

Posted .

Try The Mathematician! I like it best in D flat

I love the salamanca. oh and the banjo player at my local sesh does some job of the Glasgow reel (tamlin). He hates playing it cause its a gimiky tune but i always insist. If he doesnt play it i poke him repeatedly with my bow 🙂

A list we often share around here is the following list of 50 tunes, a list first developed by thesession.org member ‘Dr. Dow,’ which are pretty common the world around. Some of them are a bit overplayed, or felt to be out of fashion, but generally, when they get played at a session, most everyone in the circle can join in. Learning them is a good place to start.
Reels: The Banshee [James McMahon], The Bird In The Bush, The Bucks Of Oranmore, The Concertina Reel, The Congress, Cooley’s (Luttrell’s Pass), The Cup Of Tea, Drowsy Maggie, Farewell To Ireland, Father Kelly’s (Rossmore Jetty), The Foxhunter’s, The Gravel Walks, The Maid Behind The Bar, The Merry Blacksmith, Miss McLeod’s, The Mountain Road [Michael Gorman], Rolling In The Ryegrass (The Shannon Breeze), Saint Anne’s, The Sally Gardens, The Silver Spear, The Star Of Munster, The Wise Maid (All Around The World).
Jigs: The Blackthorn Stick, The Blarney Pilgrim, The Cliffs Of Moher, The Connaughtman’s Rambles, Donnybrook Fair (The Joy Of My Life), The Irish Washerwoman, The Kesh, The Lark In The Morning, The Lilting Banshee, Morrison’s, My Darling Asleep, Out On The Ocean, The Rakes Of Kildare, Tripping Up The Stairs.
Hornpipes & Set Dances: The Boys Of Bluehill, Harvest Home, King Of The Fairies, Off To California, The Rights Of Man
Slip Jigs: The Foxhunter’s, The Kid On The Mountain.
Hop Jigs: The Butterfly, The Rocky Road To Dublin.
Slides: Merrily Kissed The Quaker’s Wife, The Road To Lisdoonvarna.
Polkas: Denis Murphy’s, Egan’s, John Ryan’s (The Keadue).

My wife came back from Whitby with a remaindered book by Gordon Tyrell, GT’s Irish Choice. A bargain at £1 !
As it says on the back cover, "If you’ve ever walked into an Irish music session with your flute under your arm, your whistle in your top pocket, then felt the smile drain from your face as one tune after another swept by you into oblivion….don’t despair ! "
Seems like a good selection inside. Catch Gordon at a festival near you, soon.

"Hey does anyone know of some really good Irish session tunes? "

Sorry - I only bother with the truly great ones now.
Too little time.

But do learn the Butterfly.
And the lyrics.

Posted by .