set list of grouped tunes???

set list of grouped tunes???

I see a lot of set lists and top 20 tune lists around the internet but nothing showing tunes that are typically played together seamlessly. I.E. A list with tunes grouped together in 2 or 3’s. And with a nice mix of modes etc.

Any info is appreciated.

I’m from a rock background and seem to be attached to prearranged lists of songs. Hopefully this is not a mortal sin.

Re: set list of grouped tunes???

Most sessions, it’s just a venial sin….

Posted .

Yeah, you just have to have them memorized. I think this link might help:
https://thesession.org/recordings/display/5
"Typically played together seamlessly… grouped together in twos or threes (or sixes)…" Yeah, this’ll start you off… :)

Also:

The Tarbolton / The Longford Collector / The Sailor’s Bonnet (reels).

The Bothy Band recorded these on their first album ("The Bothy Band"). They make a terrific set, and have been played thus in sessions and by bands at least since the heyday of Irish pub music in London in the Fifties/Sixties.

nicholas, the Tarbolton set was first recorded by Michael Coleman in the 1920s and has been copied ever since, including by the Bothy Band.

Posted .

The Tarbolton Set was first recorded by Michael Coleman, not the Bothy.

Duke of Leinster / Duke of Leinster’s Wife is another classic set recorded by Coleman.

Oops. Sorry for cross-posting.

The Skylark / Roaring Mary (first put together by Joe Cooley)
Down the Broom / The Gatehouse Maid (by Paddy Killoran)
The New & Old Copperplates
Lady Anne Montgomery / Maud Miller / Molloy’s
The Turnpike Gate / The Killavil Fancy (by Frankie Gavin)
The Sporting Pitchfork / The Rambling Pitchfork
The Woodcock / The Kerfunten
Taim in Arrears / Hardiman the Fiddler

I’ve heard them played in different places, such as Clare, Dublin, London, Tokyo, etc.

If memory serves me right the Bothy Band never recorded that ‘Coleman set’, just the Sailor’s Bonnet.

I think the Bothy Band did The Salamanca / The Banshee / Sailor’s Bonnet

If you look out for the Blue and Orange books by Brid Cranitch and Shelia Garry there are 35 to 40 sets of tunes in each, already grouped into 2’s and 3’s that go well together.

Every session is different, ever locale has their own thing. Some bands have their own sets, but there’s nothing set in stone which is one of the things we love about the music.

Apart from some already mentioned, here are a few selections that still come to mind from way back,
Imelda Roland’s/Greig’s Pipes/ Come west along the road
Sligo Maids/Bag of Spuds
Bonnie Kate/Mooncoin/The Scholar
Mayor Harrison’s Fedora/Johnny Cronin’s
Road to Rio/ Tom Billy’s

You say there’s nothing set in stone but that’s not the case with older players, particularly in Ireland. Some tunes are always played in sets, the Tarbolton Set being a case in point. Play anything else after the Tarbolton in South Sligo and you’re likely to end up with a train wreck.

Bonnie Kate is played before Jenny’s Chickens, by the way, if you’re talking about classic sets.

For yourself, I meant. When in Rome, obviously.

Henk Bos, rutharmstrong - you’re right!

The Bothies *didn’t* record The Tarbolton / The Longford Collector / The Sailor’s Bonnet.

They *did* record The Salamanca / The Banshee / The Sailor’s Bonnet.

Silly old me.

Anyway, they’re both cracking sets!

Please don’t think of Irish tunes as belonging in "sets". Attachment to prearranged lists of songs drives some session players nuts if you don’t shift them around occasionally.

I’ve been known to deliberately play the middle tune of someone else’s set just to see what happens when they launch into the fixed set they’ve been playing for six months nonstop. The expressions when they realize we’ve already played the second tune can be quite amusing.

Dragut Reis - I agree that Bonnie Kate and Jenny’s chicks go together and is a classic, but it only seems to work well if Bonnie Kate is played as per the original Joe Burke version. But when Bonnie Kate is played straight forward without the fancy bits I think it works better in the selection I mention, which incidentally my generation of old gits copied from an old 78 recording of Eugene Leddy’s Ceili Band in the 1950s

gobrien, One of the fun things about this music is mixing and matching the tunes yourself. It is far more fun to find the answer to your question out in the field, than on the internet.
But in case you feel like I am dodging your question, here are a few ideas:
Hunter’s Purse/Banshee
Father Kelly’s (G)/Star of Munster
Cup of Tea/Earl’s Chair
Blarney Pilgrim/Kesh
Doctor O’Neill’s/Top of Cork Road
and here is a long set of polkas that all lead well from one to the other and can be broken up into twos and threes:
Glenside/Galway Belle/Maggie in the Woods/Egan’s/Maids of Ardagh/Britches Full of Stitches/Sullivan’s (A)

When you click on a tune name, you will see which set it has been associated with.

Some people group the tunes into a set and then give the set a name. Sometimes it’s named after one of the tunes, but other times it’s given a different name. (One guy on youtube makes up set names using one word from the title of each of the tunes. He likes to do sets with 5 or 6 tunes, so he comes up with some interesting names …

I’m gonna start playing The Mouse in the Cupboard and The Mouse in the Mug together and call it the "Where’s My Cat?" set.

Brilliant responses. Much appreciated. I’m starting to feel more authentic already.