Where Are Those Lady Bouzouki Players?

Following through on a previous thread -

I did get my bouzouki, sooner than I thought. One day I decided to start browsing a couple of local guitar shops, "just looking" (ha ha), and found a sweet and affordable (isn’t everything, with Master Card? Happy early birthday to me. And really, is there any such thing as having too many instruments?) Trinity College number. To make a long story short - I LOVE IT!. The bouzouki is the perfect marriage of fiddle and guitar. The words "like a duck to water" come to mind.

I’m enjoying exploring the instrument on my own, and I also have purchased, via Homespun Tapes, a direct download of a Zan McLeod instructional video - love him - very helpful.

So, that’s the news - that there’s one more (aspiring) lady bouzouki player in the world. :-)

They’re in heaven. Bouzouki is the new harp, don’t you know?

Re: Where Are Those Lady Bouzouki Players?

I should live long enough to play as well as Alec Finn and Frankie Gavin.
(I’d be happy enough to be able to smile occasionally while playing)

Love these, especially the second one in the group with the delicious counter-melodies.

So there definitely are lady bouzouki players! Here’s another one of Lindsay Straw, a better recording, I think.
http://www.youtube.com/user/lindsaystraw#p/u/2/aBkOLm-omWg
I wonder if she regularly capos up two frets? In that case, why not use an octave mando?

In the fourth example of Alec Finn’s playing, he seems to be using a four-course instrument, also in the Greek style. Was that an optical illusion, or does he play both?

Lindsay Straw - wonderful; left-handed, to boot. She’s got a few years’ head start on me, I better get cracking.

Saw a real pretty one in San Francisco once. Couldn’t hear her though, she may have just taken up the instrument. Her boyfriend played Uilleann pipes pretty nicely. He was all dressed up like it was 1890, muttonchops and everything!

Just to clarify—Lindsay Straw is indeed a lovely bouzouki player (and great friend of mine!), but she’s not left-handed. I think she recorded some videos on her Mac computer, which then reversed the images to make it look like she’s playing left-handed.

OMG sara i know how you feel! I went to newcastle with my dad, we went into a general music shop an di fel i nlove with the only bouzouki they had. A lovely little ashbury!!!!! Do you play fiddle as well because its just the same? Unless you use the strange GDAD tuning that really dosn’t work for me.

Argh sorry my space key is DEAD!!! :(

Lindsay Straw’s style seems to be more along the lines of using the zouk as a melody instrument and her playing is very impressive.

I wonder why someone would reverse a video to make it appear as if she is left-handed? Because it’s possible? Teaching purposes?

I am more attracted to the style of combining melody, counter-melody, and chords - it is this combo that has grabbed me but good.

mandolinist - yes, I do play fiddle, and I’ll say, it’s a little weird switching back to fiddle after I’ve spent any length of time on the zouk. Not in a bad way, though. Suddenly I’m having no problem stretching my fourth finger up to that b on my fiddle.

So far, I’m using GDAD. I thought I wouldn’t, because my fingers already know the notes for GDAE - but I love the open droning slithery sound of GDAD. So far, not a huge adjustment.

@Resodan: your description seems to fit Sasha Hsuczyk and Joey Arbata, except for the "pretty nicely" part. He got 2nd in the Senior Pipes competition at Tullamore in 2009. Joey just moved from LA to Boston, where I met him at a party on Saturday. He’s engaged to Sasha, who has been taking the trad music course in Limerick.

Oops. I put the ‘r’ in the wrong place: Abarta, not Arbata. Sorry.

@GaryAMartin—I think you’re spot with those two being Joey and Sasha!

@sara505sings—when you record yourself on a webcam, the images are automatically mirrored, so a right-handed player looks like they’re playing lefty. If I were to record a video on my computer using the built-in camera, it would play back as a mirror image—so myself, a right-handed flute player, would appear to be left-handed. I know there’s some way to correct the mirror-image problem once the video’s been recorded, but I haven’t quite figured it out yet!

mellow yellow - thanks for the explanation. I did not know this about web-cams. So I guess John Doyle would come out as a righty. :-)

At any rate the mirror image it is useful for learning purposes.

FWIW I think Lindsay is a member here; this looks like it is her here https://thesession.org/members/43895 lovely playing in those youtube clips…

Posted by .

Sara - I’m going to have to be careful not to bring my tsouras around to Tommy’s, or you’ll be on the next plane to Athens. :)

@Gary, yes it seems I was talking about them! :) Sasha actually just contacted me b/c of my post, seems like a very nice person. Joey certainly sounds impressive! My ear for pipe music is slowly growing, but I’m not yet the best judge of what makes good pipe player. Well, I know a good one when I hear one, but I can’t tell a good one from a very good one like a piper can. I know a GHBP player in California (who’s actually German), and I linked him a video of Mick O’Brien and he said "pretty good, but nothing matches Seamus Ennis." Hard to know what makes a truly talented player if you’re not an experienced player yourself, I guess. :)

Frances Cunningham, currently living in Nashville. She is one great bouzouki player!