Don Messer, Newfoundland & Canadiana Tunes

Don Messer, Newfoundland & Canadiana Tunes

Hey. I know the session is designed mainly for Irish trad, so I don’t want to fill up the new tunes page with too much of this stuff. I’ve been compiling much of what I have (several books, countless recordings, sheet music) into ABC. Would anyone be interested in having some of these tunes? I guarantee you won’t find many of them on the web, or in a book. Respond on here, or send me a message. Cheers,

Help Preserve Our Canadian Heritage

Pat

Re: Don Messer, Newfoundland & Canadiana Tunes

Do you have any examples of Newfoundland "singles" ? I only recently became aware of them after hearing Hammy Hamilton play a couple at the Ballyvourney Flute Gathering in April. Nice tunes, and very similar to Irish polkas.

Posted by .

Hi Pat,

I would love that.

Kenny, I have been trying to learn singles, too, due to their similarity to polkas. Nice tunes!

Posted by .

I’m interested in the tunes, and Canadian heritage, but I don’t do ABC. Thanks, Pat.

Thanks, Pat. Yes! We have an old Mel Bay anthology of Don Messer’s repertoire, but would love more!!

i’m definitely interested!!!

send me your favorites

Would love to have a look!!! Thanks

I would definitely be interested in seeing Newfoundland tunes, and probably Don Messer tunes as well.

BTW, for people interested in Newfoundland singles (which I admit I don’t find very polka-like), good audio sources would include the Frank Maher & the Mahers Bahers CD, Daniel Payne’s "Chain", and "Island to Island". As for tune books, the best I’m aware of is Christina Smith’s "The Easiest Dance Tunes from Newfoundland and Labrador", which contains loads of singles.

Canada & The Maritimes ~

There’s quite a lot here already, some of which I’ve contributed, some contributed by friends, and some also by folks I do not know. Our webmaster Jeremy has, to the best of my knowledge, never slammed the door on anyone making such contributions. The site continues to grow, as has its scope(s), if not to everyone’s liking. 😉

Don’t be shy about contributing your favourites, tunes you’ve collected and tunes you’ve transcribed. But, if you pirate things from pre-existing collection, do the service to all by crediting your sources, and also a composer if one is known. That courtesy earns respect while overlooking it loses respect.

We’ve had the pleasure of calling the Maritimes home, including Newfoundland and Cape Breton Island, and still consider it so, along with other realms. We love the ‘traditions’, meaning also the food and other things that can be associated with that fine seasoning of music and dance. The best onion soup we’ve ever had was a little restaurant in Quebec.

As to ABCs and anything else you might want to share, please do, please don’t hesitate. Respect for asking, such consideration is appreciated…

I hear you Sol, they aren’t exactly the same as polkas (the emphasis is in a different place generally, for one thing), but they can be easily morphed into them. Actually they’re more similar to Northern Polkas, I think! Somewhat…

Anyway!

Posted by .

I have a very basic question. What is a single?

Also, I’d like to learn some more Newfoundland tunes, and I read sheet music. Can someone direct me to a good source?

Yes, please!

Just google Kelly Russell, Pauline.

I’d very much like to learn some Canadian tunes. I’m from Newfoundland and play mostly Newfoundland tunes, but I know disgustingly few tunes from the rest of the country. I’m kinda sketchy on reading ABC, but I’d be interested in looking at your tunes anyways.

Pauline: a Newfoundland single is a quick 2/4 dance tune. (Or mostly 2/4, there are occasional extra / missing beats in some of them.) If you ignore the rhythmic subtleties they are pretty similar to Irish polkas. (Of course, there are different varieties of Irish polkas, too, so maybe it’s closer to one I don’t know so well.)

Here’s a classic set of them, with dancers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DW-pXA8Vtc

I know this is an old thread but Pat if you are around I would love these tunes.