Coil bound tune arrangements

Coil bound tune arrangements

To the Readers:

Please give me a chance and read this.

I’ll hopefully be launching my typesetting (arranging) business very soon. I thought that I would
let people know what I’m going to be doing, in hopes that it gives me the chance to see how this prospect
may go. 1 service that I would like to offer is the arranging of all one’s tunes into a professional coil bound book format.
The outline for the final product would be:

Tune Index:

3 different ways of finding a tune

Tunes listed alphabetically
Tunes listed by type
Tunes listed by key

Tunes:

Displayed clearly, in standard notation, and on good paper

Chords will be added above music if desired

Handy Tools in the back:

Chord/Progression Charts for
Guitar, Mandolin, Bouzouki, & the more
often than not these days 5 string banjo

Easy transpose chart + ”Where to put your capo”

Alternate Tunings Page

(For another small fee):Disc with ABC & Midi of every tune + All tunes in PDF

I know that many of you already know how to form more than just the basic chords,
where to put your capo, progressions, etc. I’ve come up with this format as a handy
tool to use at a session, whatever the size, as in my experience, there are often
newcomers to the music, or newcomers to their instrument. In essence, it’s designed to
make things easier for those playing accompaniment.

Price Range: I’ll be nice and charge in Canadian dollars. All of you across the pond would be getting
quite the bargain then. I’m open to suggestions as to what YOU think a decent price would be for a project
as such. Currently, I think $25 CAD is fair. I plan to coil bind the books, and you can be
rest assured that I’ll begin your product right away. My plan is to send the product to you before any money
changes hands. It’s a trust thing that benefits you more than me, and I don’t believe you should pay
for something you don’t like. This also lets everyone know I’m not running a scam.

Music is my life, and takes
up %100 of my time. Lot of arranging. Preservation of this music is important to me. Aside from sending out and
exchanging tunes, I think that a book like this will be an efficient way of bringing the music to others, and
helping some to understand it better.

If you have some suggestions for me, or would be interested in something like this, PM me, or email me directly at
irish.fiddler3@gmail.com

Thank you,

Pat

Re: Coil bound tune arrangements

You can also send me your versions of the tunes, rather than me just arranging MY version of the tune. I’ll also sort through any organized piles of scraps and papers you may want to send.

Does this handy tool come with a handy session table top music stand?

Posted .

Don’t worry Pat, I’m sure your version of the tune is more than adequate. Target market and all that.

Its all a plot to get our tunes!!!!!!

The thot plickens…

Hmmm … Two identical (Probably - couldn’t be bothered to actually read this one) discussion threads in quick succession. IMO, not the best marketing to this bunch. People are going to think you’re trying to sell them something.

You need to think a little more about your target market:- Guitarists who need to be told where to stick their capos are normally the ones who don’t have tune collections.

On a more serious note, will anyone pay good money for a bound book that only has tunes they already know? Most people I know only buy tune books to get new tunes.

And having bought a book, the first thing they do is photocopy the tunes they want, and get them out of the bound book, into a ring-binder where they can be moved about - either from ‘want to learn’ to ‘learning’ to ‘known’ or into variable set lists and play lists.

Having said all that I can see one potential market - slow sessions and learning groups. But then those are usually run by people with connections to colleges or community groups, who normally have their own spiral binder.

Selling tunebooks where the punter provides the tunes is like a restaurant that provides tables and plates and cutlery, but the punters have to bring their own food.

Don’t most towns these days have a stationery shop that will run off pages from a computer file on their printer and then coil or comb bind it ? Its a common need for small businesses.

Or maybe they are actual arrangements?

You send him your scrap of paper with drowsie maggie scribbled on it, and the usual line up of your local session: tin whistle, two violins, contertina, mandolin, three guitars, four bodhrans - one of which doubles on spoons … and he sends you back a lovely arrangement with seperate parts for all the instruments (including the three guitars with three different capo placings so they don’t all sound the same)

Posted .

Hi

Quote: OP
Tunes:
Displayed clearly, in standard notation, and on good paper
Chords will be added above music if desired
Handy Tools in the back:
Chord/Progression Charts for
Guitar, Mandolin, Bouzouki, & the more
often than not these days 5 string banjo
Easy transpose chart + ”Where to put your capo”
Alternate Tunings Page

$25 for a project - How many tunes would I get for $25?

How about 300 / 400 tunes? + 3/4 separate parts for each tune

How quick can you turn your product around…wait time?

Something to think about perhaps

pkev

Posted by .