who walks to their session?

who walks to their session?

as an aside to fauxcelt’s recent ‘How long … and often …’ do any of us actually ‘walk’ to a session with instrument in hand, under arm, on back, between legs, wherever?

Re: who walks to their session?

Monday (every week): walk a couple of streets
Tuesday (once a month): walk a bit further
Wednesday (once a month): walk not very far - but that’s Bluegrass - does that count?
Thursday (every week): walk - not so far as Monday
Friday (once a month): drive to a neighbouring village to play Scottish dance sets
Sunday afternoon: bike down the road - nearly a mile!

my god, four out of seven, has to be a record

six even

I used to when I went to the Blythe. I floated back. I drove to Gypsy Hill last night though, thought you’d be there, Lis?

My nearest session is about 30 yards from my door. So, in the time it would take to don cycling gear, secure instrument on bike, mount bike, ride, dismount, park the bike, remove instrument from bike and remove cycling gear, I could have walked there and back several times. In the time it would take to learn to drive, pass my driving test, buy a car and drive there, the session might cease to exist. So I choose to walk.

My nearest designated "Irish" session is about 27 away. It’s a lovely walk if you’ve got the time, the weather, the hours of daylight and somewhere to stay the night afterwards - but I tend to rely on somebody else with a car. Cycling might be a feasible option, but for the fact that it’s over a narrow, winding mountain road - beautiful by day but very dark by night and treacherous in winter.

…27 *miles* away, I meant.

When I was living in London, at the peak of my session-going frenzy, I would often cycle to sessions 10 miles or more from home. Don’t get me wrong - I love walking. But 3 hours is a *long* walk in suburbia. I would usually reserve walking for those sessions less than 3 miles away.

Me , its about tens mins …………….when it happens .
I will walk to the new one soon about 30 mins
Dont drink and Drive folks 🙂

I drive when I have small children jumping on my head the next morning

Posted .

A couple of miles into town, or if the other session in the country pub a couple of busses, or I have to drive.

Posted by .

Horse and cart as I live in a very rural area and there is a very serious danger of being attacked by bears or occasionaly wolves whilst out walking through the forest, to or from the session. Safer inside the cart with my trusty crossbow and the horse can sense the presence of a bear long before I can.

Walk. Every time. From the car to the door.

I take my horse as there is no law against riding under the influence, as far as I know, so long as the horse is sober. Annoys the horse, as she’d love nothing more than to down half a bottle of Ardbeg at a session.

I could in 45 or so Minute’s - but like 10 minute’s by Car — lol.
jim,,,

"Horse and cart as I live in a very rural area and there is a very serious danger of being attacked by bears or occasionally wolves whilst out walking through the forest, to or from the session. Safer inside the cart with my trusty crossbow and the horse can sense the presence of a bear long before I can."

Blimey, Steam! Bears and Wolves in Herefordshire? That’s a well kept secret - or *was*, at least.

Round where I live, there’s a serious risk of being attacked by badgers and hares… and shrews.

I’ve walked *to* my session a few times over the years. About a 10 minute stroll through an old neighborhood. But nowadays I’m usually leaving from work, and it would be a longer walk. Too cold in winter for the fiddle.

I’ve walked home *from* my session more often, and gone back for the car in the morning, sober. 😎

Posted .

I live about 15 minutes from Dublin city centre so I walk everywhere including any session I ever go to whether it is close enough like O’Donoghues which is about 8 minutes or even to the Cobblestone which is about 40 minutes. On a rare occasion I might take the bus if I happened to be doing a gig or something outside of town but that is a rare occurence and has only happened once or twice.

Posted by .

I used to walk to my session, and still could if I had to, but the trek back up the hill to my home, carrying fiddle and squeezebox, (possibly in the rain), gets less and less appealing as I get older. So it’s usually the van these days.

We’ve just had to move our ‘local’ session, where the whole idea was to have one in walking distance of our home, owing to a severe attack of barflies - don’t know who these guys are, never see them anywhere else, but they seem to think their principle joy in life is taking the p1ss out of non-belligerent musicians. So we’re back to driving the couple of miles - could take the bus, but it’s only free for an old man like me, not for a young lassie like my cradle-snatched trophy wife. Ha ! LOL. And she has to drive home as I have a small glass of beer.

This helped to remind me to update my listings.

I walk to the end of my alley, then across the street. Takes about 2 minutes at a relaxed pace. That would be my twice monthly bookstore Irish session. The two pub sessions I frequent I either bike or bus to.

CreadurMawnOrganig -

Bears and Wolves in Herefordshire —

We always knew that — lol.

jim,,,

not sure about the Brown Bears, but our Grey Wolves disappeared in:
England _ by the late 13th century
Scotland _ 1680-1700 (with a current plan to reintroduce on Rum)
Ireland _ 1692-1786 (last one killed at Ballydarton, Co Carlow)

I’m a mere 33 miles from the Herefordshire border. You don’t think there could be bears and wolves round here as well, do you, FIDDLE4? I might start driving the 30 yards to my local session after all. I’ll book myself in for lessons tomorrow.

lisaniska - it’s the frogs you have to worry about these days.

70km each way to the session I go to. No, I don’t walk. ; )

Lame jokes aside, I drive to my weekly session. It would actually be half an hour walk at most and one could take the subway to the session if so inclined, but it can run until two am and oftentimes we stand around outside the pub and have a blether for about half an hour after the session ends. That half hour walk home after two or half two is really unappealing. The other one I go to sort of frequently (when I am in town) is clear on the opposite side of the city. That would be a long walk. I can take a train there and if it ends before half eleven, I can take a train home. Otherwise I have to cab it.

I am tempted to envy all of you people who are able to walk to your local sessions but I think I can resist the temptation.

When the local Blues Jam was at a restaurant here in North Little Rock approximately twenty years ago, I was able to walk to and from the Jam because it was only two miles from my apartment. I didn’t have to bring my instrument because the sponsors of the Blues Jam provided an electric piano for the musicians.
When the Blues Jam moved across the river to a Tex-Mex restaurant in Little Rock, I had to start driving to and from the Blues Jam because it was too far to walk and it was in a dangerous neighborhood.
Even when the local Irish music sessions were at Cregeen’s here in North Little Rock, I drove because my electric piano is too heavy to carry it for the two mile trip to Cregeen’s.

When I was in college and going to school full time while working part time to support myself, the only transportation I could afford was a bicycle. That was how I got around town except when the weather was too bad to ride a bike.

Laurence

Where I live, the mule deer can get ornery, especially during the rut, and they’re in every part of town. On nightly walks in my neighborhood (about 5 blocks from downtown) I’ve also run into moose (a block from my home), fox, and black bear. There have been cougar sightings within blocks of a school. No wolves or grizzly bears in town…yet. But there are several wolf packs within a 20 mile radius of town, and grizzlies travel along the mountain ridges just 15 miles west of downtown.

Keeps things interesting, being further down the food chain.

Posted .

Usually I get a lift but recently Ihave used my 1.5 litre v-twin sel- propelled banjo case. lol

"Blimey, Steam! Bears and Wolves in Herefordshire? That’s a well kept secret - or *was*, at least." CreadurMawnOrganig

What!! I’ve never been to Herefordshire - I live in Sweden and it can be very rural, no kidding, there are bear attacks, and wolves are a source of controversy as one group, hunters and Samer want to wipe them out whilst the Ecos want them in the environment. In Malmö, southern Sweden there are gang turf wars and bullets flying, pitbulls attacking joggers. I tell you it’s getting so I daren’t leave the house without bodyguards

Yes I do, if the weathers dry, although sometimes I get a lift
bit of both really.

Posted .

One morning, when I was scheduled to be at work at four a.m., I had left my house and was a few blocks from my house when I saw four deer crossing the street in front of me. I had to slow down so I wouldn’t run into one of them.

Laurence

Frogs are a problem in our sesion too😉

Bazouki dave, frogs shouldn’t be a problem at a session unless there are either too many fiddlers or too many incompetent fiddlers who don’t know how to play this music.

Laurence

i walk so i can have a drink, but im a whistle player lol

Got to find a session yet!!

Dane, you have to live on the moon to ‘not’ find one somewhere on this planet

Ok, making progress. Got to the Liffey session and even got to one held in a Launceston kitchen. Also did a St.Pats day session. There’s more. Found tin whistle and rhythm guitar fanatics locally and we are going to work on sets. Will do this at home or within 15km of here.