Roy Harper

Roy Harper

I’ve just been listening to Stormcock for the first time in ages and you know what……it’s still extraordinary. No particular ITM motive for this thread, he does reside here tho and I’m in a state of chemical imbalance, they say you can get drugs for it but I’m not so sure.

Re: Roy Harper

He’s a great, that’s for sure. That record had a profound effect on me when I was a teenager and I’m very grateful.

Posted .

Thanks Michael, I seen him live in Galway a few years ago and it was one ofthe best gigs I’ve ever been at. How does he keep going?

I’ve seen him lots and lots of times and he really is a great performer. Such a beautiful and effortlessly casual command. And that’s despite his songs being driven by pure utter profundity

Posted .

As it happens I am wearing a Roy Harper T-shirt this morning, God’s honest truth.
Spooky, huh?

You’re a true One Man Rock And Roll Band, Lingpupa.

Re: Charlie Harper

I used to play gigs with Charlie Harper & the UK Subs.
He has a spectacular toffee hammer collection.

By the way…has anyone got the dots to ‘I Hate The White Man’?

First time I saw Roy Harper was at the Cambridge folk festival, 1967 (I think). He sang ‘Come and Be Buried With Me in Highgate Cemetery’ singing into the soundhole of his guitar with the wind ghosting the strings (no fingers). Most peculiar - and stunning, sort of an Aeolian harp effect.

His son Nick is a genius performer and songwriter too.

" I never know what day it is .. on my battlefield of ideals " Harper is an extraordinary fellow , so so gifted and so overlooked."Hats off to Roy Harper " (and to Jimmy Page) whenever I feel the need I play Roy Harper , he has sustained me and inspired me in my ordinary life for more than 35 years.How has this genius been overlooked for so long ?

How indeed, dangermouse. I haven’t got the dots to it, yhallhouse, but I’ve often got the shivers just listening to it

You’re on the record now … striking a match.

I’d loive to meet the person who struck that match

Posted .

Strayaway…
Couldn’t agree more. And The Lord’s Prayer and The Game on HQ are equally brilliant. Such singing! First saw him in the National Stadium in 1977 and I still listen to the recording of that.

Yeah, the best description of god ever:

His face is a stained glass window of a continuous orgasm

Posted .

I saw him at Hyde Park in about 1970. He is a great performer and entertainer.

I first saw Roy play in The Albert Hall, Nottingham around 1969, on a bill which also included John Martyn and Ron Geesin. The venue (which was also the headquarters of the local Methodists, so there was a huge pipe organ (you can see it here - http://www.alberthallnottingham.co.uk/Concerts.htm) and choir stalls set back either side of the stage. The place was a quarter full, so Roy, who was up first, ushered all of us down from the top tier seats (for which we’d paid a princely 2s 6d) to sit nearer the stage. Ron Geesin, as I recall, played the grand piano from underneath its lid, plucking and bashing the strings.

Posted by .

I remember Roy Harper from when we used to go down to Les Cousins for the all nighters. Roy didn’t do it for me, I preferred Keith Christmas who was wild back then bending the neck of his Fender Palomino to achieve a whammy bar effect. Hmm this was really back in the day, Jo Ann Kelly, Sam Mitchell, Stefan Grossman, Jacqui McShee, Jansch, Martyn, Mike Cooper, Duffy Power, Long John Baldry, Al Stewart, Renbourn. glad to hear that Roy is still going though

exceptionally gifted in the art of ennui.

Posted .

Ron Geesin, he was a genius.

Posted .